Why do girls like me when I'm 'fake'?

carl

Hi yall,

I've been a shy guy all my life, but only recently discovered that I'm a SAD person. I've noticed this as I had previously devised my own mental barriers to keep my mind pre occupied with other things i.e. primarily football (playing myself, player stats., news almost to the extent of savantism. :roll:), basketball, studying, pc, playing on my guitar.

My problem started with the fact that we moved a lot when I was younger (abroad). Which made it difficult for me to connect to people. From a social perspective I've always thought of myself as being socially retarded or something 8O , but I simply learned to ignore that part of myself, which told me I was inferior to others. I managed to teach myself how to act, by simply mimicking behaviour I deemed I would gain the social confirmation, affirmation and approval I needed to be accepted by my peers. Being a 'fake' person made got me a lot of 'friends' during high school. I never had any problems making friends this way. I was never ostracized by people, eventhough I felt very awkward. On the other hand I did try to mix in parts of myself into the 'act'. I am very laid, back and try to remain calm and tranquil and never really tried to be cool, but rather friendly. A lot of the older kids would come up to me, when they had a problem and I was just generally liked. Although I just never felt good about myself as I felt that I was merely lying to myself and others.

I often felt like I was from a different planet as I used to have so many interests. I liked reading classic literature, was interested in socio cultural issues, languages and had a keen interest in medicine. l even skipped a grade, but when my final year came my father moved again and left us behind in order for me to finish my last year. I could not deal with the pressure and started to shut off from all my 'friends'. Eventhough I failed my exams miserably, I was still (provisionally) admitted to uni.

At uni things went pretty sour. I had to move back to my country and in addition to acclimatising to home again I continued to 'act' and you can only take an act so far before people find out who you really are, i.e. superficially and initially confident but eventually painfully shy and embarassed for no particular reason. I was 17 (too young) and felt completely lost and by myself.

Many painful experiences since have been the cause of my current state. I have no friends and lost my interest in the aforementioned hobbies. I am still in uni at the age of 25 (major issue for me, wanted to be finished 3 yrs ago, quit for a while as well), because when I go to lectures I cannot concentrate on the material, but am only concerned with what other people may think of me. :oops: :cry: (btw. Sorry about telling you my life story it probably seems off the point and very familiar to most of you, but I'd just like for you to understand the full scope of my problems).

Another problem, however, I feel I have always had with my SAD problem an which seriously undermines my self esteem, is that girls keep coming up to me and talk to me (I know this does not necessarliy sound like a problem :D ). I always try and remain calm and say hello and smile at them sincerely when passing them by in the corridors or before class and talk to them as well. Always keeping it superficial and 'safe'. However, after a few hi's comes the next step: a date 8O. What surprises me again and again is that women ask ME out (emancipation?) and that I (knowing what will happen) always say yes. It always takes them about one date to find out I'm not what I appear to be and I have therefore slowly, but surely been losing hope that I will ever get the knack of it (dating). What ever happened to the traditional way in which the guy is supposed to ask the girl out?

A typical date will look like this: It always starts out well, when I put on the charm, but after a while the insecurities set in and I can usually see them thinking 'he where'd he go?'. At those moments I'm usually heavily thinking about what the next step would be and seem/feel somber. It is almost like being hit by a wave and it feels like I am drowning. I can't speak or think and I generally just blush and get embarassed. :oops: Sometimes when I see the puzzled look on their faces, when I'm in my Rodin thinker pose, I laugh at myself for drifting off like that. More often than that though I just get very angry at myself for allowing my insecurities to get the better of me. :x My mood changes and I seem angry and annoyed. Girls can get very insecure about those sort of things, especially when I don't call them or stop talking to them after I've had a panic attack (not because I dislike them, but because of SAD). They usually take that very personally, which I can understand.

I realize a lot of you might advise me to just be myself and stop acting like I'm feeling alright, the problem is I like the way I am when I'm acting this way. I'm able to make a girl laugh and can often see there's a connection between us. I can just never keep it up for very long though. It's just too exhausting. I guess my problem is that I don't want to be a downer and say something like 'haha alright well on a serious note I've got problems'. They usually find that out by themselves around half an hour later anyways though, but I just can't bring myself to say 'I get a little anxious sometimes' or 'I'm nervous' in order to take the pressure off. My experience with girls is such that I usually don't end up calling girls after a date, or I'll say that I'll call them and I never do. Girls don't like that. They hate it (and me). It makes THEM feel insecure, whereas I'm the one who is in fact insecure. I've just given up. The girls haven't though they still keep coming up to me (what the hell is wrong with them, can't they see I'm screwed up). I have read a lot of posts and realize that some of you might think that this is a luxury problem, but it isn't. I feel like I would like to be swallowed up by a hole in the ground at these moments, as it is utterly humiliating. At least most of you know what your problems are and try to avoid situations like this. I just keep running full speed, head first into the same wall! I feel like half a man :oops: . Especially when a girl is giving me the look that says 'come talk to me' and I can't, because I know I'll mess it up. Should I stop being nice to them? Why can't they just leave me alone? PLEASE HELP ME! :(

Vincent

Banned
shy girls

Sounds like a good dilemia,..on the surface.

Perhaps you could seek out shy girls to ask on a date rather than waiting for confident ones to make a move on you. That way you wouldn't be so ashamed or hesitant about opening up about insecurity and anxiety issues as they prolly have similar...

Good luck

GettingThere

carl said:
Hi yall,

I've been a shy guy all my life, but only recently discovered that I'm a SAD person. I've noticed this as I had previously devised my own mental barriers to keep my mind pre occupied with other things i.e. primarily football (playing myself, player stats., news almost to the extent of savantism. :roll:), basketball, studying, pc, playing on my guitar.

My problem started with the fact that we moved a lot when I was younger (abroad). Which made it difficult for me to connect to people. From a social perspective I've always thought of myself as being socially retarded or something 8O , but I simply learned to ignore that part of myself, which told me I was inferior to others. I managed to teach myself how to act, by simply mimicking behaviour I deemed I would gain the social confirmation, affirmation and approval I needed to be accepted by my peers. Being a 'fake' person made got me a lot of 'friends' during high school. I never had any problems making friends this way. I was never ostracized by people, eventhough I felt very awkward. On the other hand I did try to mix in parts of myself into the 'act'. I am very laid, back and try to remain calm and tranquil and never really tried to be cool, but rather friendly. A lot of the older kids would come up to me, when they had a problem and I was just generally liked. Although I just never felt good about myself as I felt that I was merely lying to myself and others.

I often felt like I was from a different planet as I used to have so many interests. I liked reading classic literature, was interested in socio cultural issues, languages and had a keen interest in medicine. l even skipped a grade, but when my final year came my father moved again and left us behind in order for me to finish my last year. I could not deal with the pressure and started to shut off from all my 'friends'. Eventhough I failed my exams miserably, I was still (provisionally) admitted to uni.

At uni things went pretty sour. I had to move back to my country and in addition to acclimatising to home again I continued to 'act' and you can only take an act so far before people find out who you really are, i.e. superficially and initially confident but eventually painfully shy and embarassed for no particular reason. I was 17 (too young) and felt completely lost and by myself.

Many painful experiences since have been the cause of my current state. I have no friends and lost my interest in the aforementioned hobbies. I am still in uni at the age of 25 (major issue for me, wanted to be finished 3 yrs ago, quit for a while as well), because when I go to lectures I cannot concentrate on the material, but am only concerned with what other people may think of me. :oops: :cry: (btw. Sorry about telling you my life story it probably seems off the point and very familiar to most of you, but I'd just like for you to understand the full scope of my problems).

Another problem, however, I feel I have always had with my SAD problem an which seriously undermines my self esteem, is that girls keep coming up to me and talk to me (I know this does not necessarliy sound like a problem :D ). I always try and remain calm and say hello and smile at them sincerely when passing them by in the corridors or before class and talk to them as well. Always keeping it superficial and 'safe'. However, after a few hi's comes the next step: a date 8O. What surprises me again and again is that women ask ME out (emancipation?) and that I (knowing what will happen) always say yes. It always takes them about one date to find out I'm not what I appear to be and I have therefore slowly, but surely been losing hope that I will ever get the knack of it (dating). What ever happened to the traditional way in which the guy is supposed to ask the girl out?

A typical date will look like this: It always starts out well, when I put on the charm, but after a while the insecurities set in and I can usually see them thinking 'he where'd he go?'. At those moments I'm usually heavily thinking about what the next step would be and seem/feel somber. It is almost like being hit by a wave and it feels like I am drowning. I can't speak or think and I generally just blush and get embarassed. :oops: Sometimes when I see the puzzled look on their faces, when I'm in my Rodin thinker pose, I laugh at myself for drifting off like that. More often than that though I just get very angry at myself for allowing my insecurities to get the better of me. :x My mood changes and I seem angry and annoyed. Girls can get very insecure about those sort of things, especially when I don't call them or stop talking to them after I've had a panic attack (not because I dislike them, but because of SAD). They usually take that very personally, which I can understand.

I realize a lot of you might advise me to just be myself and stop acting like I'm feeling alright, the problem is I like the way I am when I'm acting this way. I'm able to make a girl laugh and can often see there's a connection between us. I can just never keep it up for very long though. It's just too exhausting. I guess my problem is that I don't want to be a downer and say something like 'haha alright well on a serious note I've got problems'. They usually find that out by themselves around half an hour later anyways though, but I just can't bring myself to say 'I get a little anxious sometimes' or 'I'm nervous' in order to take the pressure off. My experience with girls is such that I usually don't end up calling girls after a date, or I'll say that I'll call them and I never do. Girls don't like that. They hate it (and me). It makes THEM feel insecure, whereas I'm the one who is in fact insecure. I've just given up. The girls haven't though they still keep coming up to me (what the hell is wrong with them, can't they see I'm screwed up). I have read a lot of posts and realize that some of you might think that this is a luxury problem, but it isn't. I feel like I would like to be swallowed up by a hole in the ground at these moments, as it is utterly humiliating. At least most of you know what your problems are and try to avoid situations like this. I just keep running full speed, head first into the same wall! I feel like half a man :oops: . Especially when a girl is giving me the look that says 'come talk to me' and I can't, because I know I'll mess it up. Should I stop being nice to them? Why can't they just leave me alone? PLEASE HELP ME! :(

Hi Carl and welcome to the forum.

This is the biggest post that I have ever seen.

Just try to remember what is really important.

I have come to realise that the difference between the average person and so called "cool" people is that the cool ones have their minds better prioritised. They have a subconscious understanding that things which we consider to be important are not so (social status, etc) and because of this the things which we concentrate on are of little importance to them so that they can pass through the social side of life with ease, they can just be themselves.

JeSs42790

Hi and welcome...

Believe it or not, i totally understand. It seems that the guys like me, until they really get to know me. But I have to be myself, whether they like it or not. You see even though you like be that way, it isn't you. I would love to be popular, to have all the guys like me, but that would mean i would have to be like the other girls **i.e put out....sry for being blunt jus tryin to make a point**. But what i find most attractive in gys is when they're not afraid to be, well differant. So my advise...don't try and be something your not, girls like honesty, so how can you be truthful when your lying to yourself? So jut be happy being you, girls are drawn to guys who don't try and be like others....thisis just my opinion.

I wish you luck in your future dates!

Jess

carl

grumblina said:
I used to ask All my boyfriends out, now that I'm waiting for a guy to ask Me, there's nothing happening. I asked Them because I dig shy guys. Have always hated jocks, loudmouths and show offs. If you want them to leave you alone, then decline the date. If you're interested in one who asks then go on that one date and make a special effort. Sounds like you're spreading your effort too thin, squandering it if you will across a broad spectrum of lite interest. If you Really dig a gal and go on a date with her the extra effort will be easier to make. p.s. I bet there are some guys here just fuming! :wink: Most SP folks have a Hard time getting dates! lol! Be cool man 8)

If only I could meet a girl like you, it would make life, or dating rather, a whole lot easier. You are right I should start declining dates, but that's very difficult. I find it very difficult to deal with rejection and often reflect my own anxieties on other people as well, i.e. I have a hard time dealing with rejection and therefore think she will as well. I never really put any effort in dating though, although I must admit that I often (subtly) initiate the conversation and suggest the possibility of a date. I'll (carelessly) say something like 'maybe we can go watch a movie sometime'. I do this a lot. It is often the girl that then asserts herself and makes the date official with the aforementioned consequences. I realized this last week as I was writing an e-mail to a girl and ended up the mail with 'so when I get back maybe we should go see a movie sometime'. Strange, I don't even go to the movies that often :?

btw I hope you're refferring to jocks as being the obnoxious stereotypical knuckle dragging neanderthals that take pleasure in demeaning people that are weaker than them and not as a general slur against sports fanatics, because there's nothing wrong with being into sports :D haha! In fact it's one of the few things I can still find the motivation to do for.

carl

Re: shy girls

Vincent said:
Sounds like a good dilemia,..on the surface.

Perhaps you could seek out shy girls to ask on a date rather than waiting for confident ones to make a move on you. That way you wouldn't be so ashamed or hesitant about opening up about insecurity and anxiety issues as they prolly have similar...

Good luck

That's just the problem I do talk to girls, but only those I just so happen to meet. I don't actively seek them out. Looking for a shy girl, a girl that would be more compatible with my personality would mean I'd have to really search for one and that scares the crap out of me! The conversations I normally have with girls are spontaneous. If I'd start looking for a girl (even a shy one) with the distinct purpose of finding a date or even just a friend, I know I'll mess it up. I'll just get too nervous :roll: .

carl

Hi Carl and welcome to the forum.

This is the biggest post that I have ever seen.

Just try to remember what is really important.

I have come to realise that the difference between the average person and so called "cool" people is that the cool ones have their minds better prioritised. They have a subconscious understanding that things which we consider to be important are not so (social status, etc) and because of this the things which we concentrate on are of little importance to them so that they can pass through the social side of life with ease, they can just be themselves.[/quote]

He GT,

You're right and I understand what makes a person cool. It's just that I can't shut off that part of me that worries so excessively (he that rimes :D ) I can't stop thinking about the possibility that I might screw up and inevitably that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as I always end up screwing up anyways, which is very 'uncool'. The cool part about the whole thing is though that I realize it, now the only thing I need to do is come up with a solution that would allow me to be at ease with myself. Cool, calm and relaxed is where I want to be mentally, but then again isn't everyone looking for this (non SAD'ers as well)?

carl

JeSs42790 said:
Hi and welcome...

Believe it or not, i totally understand. It seems that the guys like me, until they really get to know me. But I have to be myself, whether they like it or not. You see even though you like be that way, it isn't you. I would love to be popular, to have all the guys like me, but that would mean i would have to be like the other girls **i.e put out....sry for being blunt jus tryin to make a point**. But what i find most attractive in gys is when they're not afraid to be, well differant. So my advise...don't try and be something your not, girls like honesty, so how can you be truthful when your lying to yourself? So jut be happy being you, girls are drawn to guys who don't try and be like others....thisis just my opinion.

I wish you luck in your future dates!

Hi Jess,

Where R U from? Single? haha! No, but on a serious note you're right I should just try and be myself, the problem is that I don't really know who that is anymore. I feel like a spiritual amputee. I have very little confidence in my own abilities as I really hate myself for being so jittery. I really can't forgive myself for spazzing out in front of people like that and that is where I think my biggest problem lies. I have too much pride and am too vain to accept my faults and until I can finally accept the fact that some things are just not very easy for me I will continue to have the problems I have with finding a girl that suits me. Although I know this about myself it is very difficult for me to come to terms with this. It's getting more and more difficult to run into that wall though. It's showing no signs of cracking and I'm losing my will to beat it.
btw I never thought of the girls that put out as being popular. In my school as soon as people knew a girl was 'easy' she had tainted goods written all over her. I find it very hard to reject people, but even I would say no to a girl like that.

carl

Masterpiece2 said:
hey Carl, I think i kind of relate to some point of your note (except girls asking me out :roll: , though i'v been approached), its indeed difficult the part of saying (or thinking) "..on a serious note, i got issues"
I think the moment to say this kind of things comes on a very specific moment, so maybe its better to try to fix it and just try to enjoy the date without saying it (or thinking it :? ), though i know, better said than done when we have problems in our minds.
The best is to tell this kind of things to the correct person i think, so the dating time can be just for that, to enjoy. I have some problems with handling relationships as well, i also get the spaced out state sometimes when dating.

Its just a matter of feeling comfortable at the end i think. If you feel alright talking with somebody about certain things, then perhaps you will feel comfortable talking about problems as well with that same person.
Its not always easy to find this comfortability, but just being ourselves should be a good step.
Also, the thing is to not scare people away, i think. But i seem to be a professional doing that, I wish I received a cent for every girl i'v scared away (hmm i wouldn't have that many cents anyway, but just to make the point. :?) Also wish you best luck on the future.

You're right it is tricky to determine what you can say on a date. However, I believe that dates are pivotal moments at which you should be at your best and you can never be at your best when you have other things on your mind apart from the date itself. It just doesn't work. I feel that I should be working towards dating and start with healing myself. You need to feel confident and confidence comes when you feel comfortable and at ease with the situation and yourself. This I believe you can achieve in two ways, by means of practice (i.e. practice makes perfect = a LOT of dates) or by rooting out the source of your problem rationalize it (by telling yourself your insecurities are ill-founded) and learn to remind yourself of this at the right moment. I'm not really the one to talk about this though. Women want security from men, even when it is your little sister. I often have fights with my sisters when I'm too concerned with my own anxieties to give them my full attention. Confidence and strenth (personality) are characteristics most women look for in a partner and most guys admire in a friend. Life just becomes very difficult when those are the characteristics you're lacking. You end up trying to accomodate everyone. Like me. :roll: