Would it be a good idea to start a mental illness awareness club?

yesman

Like, this club will help raise awareness not just for OCD, but for all mental illness. I originally wanted to start an engineering club at my high school, but this idea seems much better, because 1) I have a vested interest in mental illness, and 2) I have a lot more experience with it.

I'm not doing this for sympathy, or to take my anger out on others...the primary aims of my club will be to dispel myths concerning mental illness, help to erase the stigma in and around the community, and raise money for charities. People without mental illness are encouraged to join, and you don't even have to tell what your mental illness is, if you have one.

Does this sound like a good idea? I was thinking, there is a drinking and driving awareness club, a club about abuse, a club about muslims, why not a club about mental illness?

SotiCoto

Banned
No.

I realise "awareness" is a popular bandwagon to jump on in recent years... but it really doesn't do a great deal. The capacity of people to completely blot out what doesn't concern them is rather high... and even when it does concern them a tad, their capacity to oversimplify and completely miss the point is also rather high.

Now... if you take away the word "awareness" and just make it a club for folk who really don't have others to turn to... you might be on to something.