SocialPhobiaWorld.com  
     

Home Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   SocialPhobiaWorld.com > Social Anxiety Disorder Forums > Social Anxiety Forum

Post New Thread Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2012  
Intermediate User
 

Default Women checking me out

I have been dating my girlfriend for about 2 months. Since it has gotten more serious (holding hands, arms around each other), I have noticed a lot of women making eye contact and smiling at me when we are out together. This is opposed to when I am alone, when women never make eye contact with me. Can any women explain why this is? Am I more attractive because I have a woman with me? I don't consider a woman more attractive when she is with a man. Quite the opposite in fact. This is very strange to me.

Floating in this game of life despite how out of place you may feel, in this race oh you just can't quit,
Ain't that a bitch
satstrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Super Moderator
Elite User
Hellhound's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Perhaps they just think you two look cute togeher

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
Hellhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Expert User
truffleshuffle's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhound View Post
Perhaps they just think you two look cute togeher
ALthough I have no idea being a man I was thinking the same thing.

To trudge: the slow, weary, depressing yet determined walk of a man or woman who has nothing left in life except the impulse to simply soldier on-A knights tale

The dead only know one thing, Its better to be alive-mathew modine full metal Jacket
truffleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Expert User
Roman Legion's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle View Post
ALthough I have no idea being a man I was thinking the same thing.
Never been with a woman before, so I have no idea. I can relate to the alone part though, so all I have to say is...


"War is when the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other." - Niko Bellic

"Is this all?" - Betty Friedan

My thoughts can be found HERE
Roman Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Expert User
Flowers-Of-Bloom's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Yeah I agree with Hellhound. They probably just think it's romantic and feel happy for you and your girlfriend. Some people just like seeing couples together.

Girls that glitter love the dark.

"They make it looks so easy, connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world." - DEXTER

learn to bloom by =agnes-cecile
Flowers-Of-Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by satstrn View Post
Am I more attractive because I have a woman with me?
Of course! For one, it shows that you are good enough to be with someone, you are not the lonely creep any more in their eyes, so they check you out. Also, the dating/relationship stuff is a competitive sport. The basic instinct behind this is to have the best available genetic material to yourself, and don't let others to have it.
Of course, these are just the basics, in the reality, it is much more fine, distilled, and there are probably a hundred more things to consider. But it is a well known fact, that you are more attractive when you are in a relationship.
I guess you are also a bit more confident, happier, and those are also attractive things.
Aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Intermediate User
JackOfSpades's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

I notice this too. I do seem to ratchet up a couple notches in other girls eyes when I'm out walking with one. But I usually feel more confident and less afraid to interact. I do sometimes look with the mindset you can't interpret my interaction another way because I'm standing right here with another girl. Maybe that cuts both ways. And the girl you're with almost makes it safe for them to show their minds out loud. But I do find the looking more forward, and not cute couple type.
JackOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Newbie User
Fanden's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Aron got it all right.
Fanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Intermediate User
crazycatlady27's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

as a woman i will admit that i will check out men that are with woman rather than those that are alone
crazycatlady27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Elite User
coyote's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

the other thing is that other women may feel more comfortable/relaxed in your presence and can let down their guard, because they don't feel like you are going to approach them, and they don't have to compete for your attention

"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered." - Voltaire

"We cannot become what we want to be by remaining what we are." - Max De Pree

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Elite User
dottie's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

speaking as a female: don't flatter yourself. you are not more attractive because you have a girlfriend!

1. my eyes tend to be drawn to couples because there's not just one person there, there's two. more mass. (especially if they are in my way).

2. they are probably looking at your girlfriend and it's happenstance they are also catching you catching them checking out your girlfriend. surprise.

3. if a couple passes by me, of the two, it is easier to meet eyes with the guy, rather than the girl, just because guys are usually more friendly [to me].
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Elite User
dottie's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

and what coyote said.
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Elite User
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

It's sort of the opposite for me. When I see couples, I have an easier time looking at the woman than the man because if I look at the man, the woman might think I'm checking him out and competing with her. But most likely, I don't get too close to couples.
jaim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Elite User
dottie's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim38 View Post
It's sort of the opposite for me. When I see couples, I have an easier time looking at the woman than the man because if I look at the man, the woman might think I'm checking him out and competing with her. But most likely, I don't get too close to couples.
yeah, i'll naturally look towards the male initially and then immediately look away so as not to offend the female. lol primates.
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Intermediate User
JackOfSpades's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottie View Post
speaking as a female: don't flatter yourself. you are not more attractive because you have a girlfriend!

1. my eyes tend to be drawn to couples because there's not just one person there, there's two. more mass. (especially if they are in my way).

2. they are probably looking at your girlfriend and it's happenstance they are also catching you catching them checking out your girlfriend. surprise.

3. if a couple passes by me, of the two, it is easier to meet eyes with the guy, rather than the girl, just because guys are usually more friendly [to me].
I agree with what Coyote said too, but the rest of your post seems to think it's unlikely he's drawing more attention or attraction-type attention just because he's with a girl. And while I agree with Coyote too, I think that relaxation and letting down of the guard because of the other girl allows them to show an attraction and interest. The girlfriend is a buffer that makes it safe and more ambiguous. It's like when girls hang around with a guy friend who they know isn't going to hit on them, or staring at that girl/guy as the bus is passing by. These things make it safe and or harder to be called out.
JackOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Elite User
dottie's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfSpades View Post
I agree with what Coyote said too, but the rest of your post seems to think it's unlikely he's drawing more attention or attraction-type attention just because he's with a girl. And while I agree with Coyote too, I think that relaxation and letting down of the guard because of the other girl allows them to show an attraction and interest. The girlfriend is a buffer that makes it safe and more ambiguous. It's like when girls hang around with a guy friend who they know isn't going to hit on them, or staring at that girl/guy as the bus is passing by. These things make it safe and or harder to be called out.
i agree with you, it takes down a buffer when it comes to actually socializing. he is not suddenly more attractive. he is more approachable. there is a big difference.
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Intermediate User
JackOfSpades's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottie View Post
i agree with you, it takes down a buffer when it comes to actually socializing. he is not suddenly more attractive. he is more approachable. there is a big difference.
So maybe he's more attractive without a girlfriend than he thinks?
JackOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Intermediate User
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

On the flip side, I never look at women who are with men.

Floating in this game of life despite how out of place you may feel, in this race oh you just can't quit,
Ain't that a bitch
satstrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Elite User
dottie's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfSpades View Post
So maybe he's more attractive without a girlfriend than he thinks?
no, you miss my point and equate being approached with being attractive. just because a female looks at you or talks to you doesn't mean she is attracted to you.

you really think all these women were secretly waiting in the wings, attracted to this guy, and suddenly because he has a girlfriend they are salivating at the chance to "safely" talk to him?! that is ridiculous. i'm not saying it doesn't happen. but this just sounds a bit over the top, don't you think?

this guy is more approachable (on a platonic level) with a girlfriend. people like friendly people. that's all there is to it.
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012  
Intermediate User
JackOfSpades's Avatar
 

Default Re: Women checking me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottie View Post
no, you miss my point and equate being approached with being attractive. just because a female looks at you or talks to you doesn't mean she is attracted to you.

you really think all these women were secretly waiting in the wings, attracted to this guy, and suddenly because he has a girlfriend they are salivating at the chance to "safely" talk to him?! that is ridiculous. i'm not saying it doesn't happen. but this just sounds a bit over the top, don't you think?

this guy is more approachable (on a platonic level) with a girlfriend. people like friendly people. that's all there is to it.
No, I didn't miss your point, I simply didn't agree with it all. I was looking for where we met and diverged. I don't think anybody is "waiting in the wings", and I do think it makes someone more approachable. And sometimes that approachability allows them to exhibit an attraction if there is one. Sometimes through manner. I don't know that he's more attractive, but that it allows a person to "unhide", or as Pete Townsend puts it in Eminence Front, "forget they're hiding". We don't wear ourselves on our sleeves all the time. And I think in these occurrences people can "forget" to, as the reasons to seem to vanish.
JackOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads to Women checking me out
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do women think about guys who make threads about what women think about? NathanielWingatePeaslee Social Anxiety Forum 63 04-07-2013 01:46 AM
"Checking people out" Ren Koutaisou Shyness Forum 7 12-08-2009 02:48 AM
I think I'm only shy around women... no1 Social Anxiety Forum 10 02-22-2009 01:09 AM
OCD Checking Frisco OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Forum 3 06-16-2008 11:00 AM
WOMEN !!!! tommydog Off-Topic 3 12-12-2006 09:43 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Mobile Version
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2