SocialPhobiaWorld.com  
     

Home Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   SocialPhobiaWorld.com > Other related Disorders > OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Forum

Post New Thread Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2009  
Newbie User
 

Default New obsession and constant anxiety

I'm beginning to understand the compulsion of those who check and recheck and recheck (you get the idea) to make sure that light switches are off. I'm obsessed that it would be unsafe to leave a light on (or anything that uses electricity) so I've gotten to the point where I don't even use lights if I can manage without them. This sucks. Maybe my OCD wants me to be Amish??

I also seem to be in a constant state of anxiety--heart racing and difficulty breathing all the time. Any tips on controlling this? It can't be healthy.
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009  
Intermediate User
Menosa's Avatar
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

I sometimes have something like that, I worry about leaving my computer on, that it might cause a fire while I'm away or something, but its one of the more minor ones, and easy for me to ignore (except when my computer starts making loud whirring sounds, then it annoys me).
Menosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009  
Elite User
iamthenra's Avatar
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

All I can say is that I understand, because I too suffer from similar things as you... But my OCD is embarrassing, it's more related to looking for a certain fetish that I have. So when I am out and about, I am finding myself constantly looking, scanning... When I watch TV or whatever I am always looking for it, and I will purposely watch programs that I am really not interested in just to get a glimpse of it... It rules my life to some degree... The therapists have told me that it is Sexual OCD, and the psychiatrists have tried to prescribe antidepressants to reduce the OCD in me... It helps a little bit, but not fully. I have tried so many things to get rid of this, but nothing helps fully. I even tried some experimental things like "light therapy" where you watch this moving light from side to side. Then the therapist will stop it and ask you how you are feeling and if there is any bad thoughts or whatever. Then he starts up the lights again and this cycle goes on for about ten or so sets every session. I thought it was kind of a joke to be honest. But I was and still am desperate to get rid of these thoughts. I've even explored castration, but the side effects of depression wouldn't be good since I am already very depressed...

As far as the anxiety... I don't have any answers for that either. Last night I had to go to school to learn CPR. I was a nervous wreck. I was crabby and scared out of my mind at the thought of going to a room of people and doing this.... I had a mini panic attack, where my throat felt like I was being choked and my heart was racing and I could feel myself blushing badly. I did wind up going, but it wasn't easy. I was relieved when I was able to go home though...

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you... Just sympathy! I am sorry...

Never send a human to do a machine's job.
iamthenra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009  
Advanced User
dooby-duck's Avatar
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

For the anxiety you could try distraction, listening to music and stuff. Also breathing and relaxation techniques to calm you down.

As for compulsions to check things, I have this in a minor way. Mine are mainly safety / security related. I've near enough pulled handles off (literally)several doors making sure they are locked. I also unplug things. But the worst ones I have are at work. I must check electrical sockets and switches three or four times before I can leave. It's worse when I have to lock up as I check and recheck each lock and padlock. Sometimes I have to reverse back to the door to check again. On several occasions I've been at home and suddenly had an anxious thought that I'd left the door open or the locks off and had to go back to check. The worst ones though are to do with tightening the nuts and bolts on vehicles I work on. This is obviously essential but I tend to molest a nut and bolt several times with tools, and then visually check them a few more times just to put my mind at rest.
dooby-duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009  
Intermediate User
getbornagain's Avatar
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

It's time for you to take action against your OCD. Go to therapy, get medication, and lead a healthy lifestyle. That is the OCD cocktail.

Highly recommend taking Omega 3 capsules (supports brain function), inositol (cell membrane function), calcium/magnesium, and B Vitamins. These are all basically supplements for the human brain and will help reduce your state of anxiety.

Go to therapy and get on an SSRI (assuming you haven't yet). There is a way out of this shithole.
getbornagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby-duck View Post
For the anxiety you could try distraction, listening to music and stuff. Also breathing and relaxation techniques to calm you down.

As for compulsions to check things, I have this in a minor way. Mine are mainly safety / security related. I've near enough pulled handles off (literally)several doors making sure they are locked. I also unplug things. But the worst ones I have are at work. I must check electrical sockets and switches three or four times before I can leave. It's worse when I have to lock up as I check and recheck each lock and padlock. Sometimes I have to reverse back to the door to check again. On several occasions I've been at home and suddenly had an anxious thought that I'd left the door open or the locks off and had to go back to check. The worst ones though are to do with tightening the nuts and bolts on vehicles I work on. This is obviously essential but I tend to molest a nut and bolt several times with tools, and then visually check them a few more times just to put my mind at rest.
My job makes me worry a lot too. I also check door locks and the oven and now light switches. But I've gotten a hang of the compulsions. I just do the compulsions and try to get on with my day. Fighting it seems to make it worse.
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbornagain View Post
It's time for you to take action against your OCD. Go to therapy, get medication, and lead a healthy lifestyle. That is the OCD cocktail.

Highly recommend taking Omega 3 capsules (supports brain function), inositol (cell membrane function), calcium/magnesium, and B Vitamins. These are all basically supplements for the human brain and will help reduce your state of anxiety.

Go to therapy and get on an SSRI (assuming you haven't yet). There is a way out of this shithole.
I will look into the vitamins, thank you. Do they really help that much?
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009  
Intermediate User
getbornagain's Avatar
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl View Post
I will look into the vitamins, thank you. Do they really help that much?
It's moreso the lifestyle that helps. If you drink alot, smoke bud, do hard drugs you are ****ing your brain up. If you exercise, take in all essential nutrients, get sufficient sleep, and apply yourself towards mental discipline you will notice a change in your brain function.

The prescription medication is what will help you, the vitamins will support that proper function. I don't know what your stance is on medication, but your brain is lacking a neurotransmitter called serotonin. SSRI medication will give you that neurotransmitter, that's all it is.
getbornagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009  
Newbie User
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbornagain View Post
The prescription medication is what will help you, the vitamins will support that proper function. I don't know what your stance is on medication, but your brain is lacking a neurotransmitter called serotonin. SSRI medication will give you that neurotransmitter, that's all it is.
Do SSRI's have side effects? Do they simply take away the intrusive thoughts? I've taken medication (reluctantly) for anxiety and it helps but it makes me almost too anxious-less and that made me more uncomfortable. I only take them when my anxiety is out of control.
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009  
Intermediate User
getbornagain's Avatar
 

Default Re: New obsession and constant anxiety

They do have side effects for the first while as your brain must get used to a different chemical balance. I personally think it's worth it. Also, they don't take away the intrusive thoughts, they don't change the way you think and don't change your personality. What they do is, first and foremost, lift your depression, secondly, increase your ability to let thoughts go without dwelling on them, and thirdly, give you a more positive outlook on the situation. The improvement in my life since I started Prozac is unquestionable. Food for thought.

That anti-anxiety medication isn't a good idea because it's addictive and sedative. I'd recommend you take Valerian root as an alternative to those meds.
getbornagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads to New obsession and constant anxiety
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving away - constant state of anxiety. Meow Anxiety Forum 2 02-01-2008 06:10 PM
Existential Anxiety/obsession de-vin Website Support 5 12-11-2007 03:03 PM
Constant low-level anxiety S Anxiety Forum 9 07-16-2007 10:52 AM
Obsession and sex mart67 Adults Only 5 02-24-2007 01:14 PM
Constant anxiety - does it ever stop? kurani Anxiety Forum 4 08-18-2006 03:03 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2