1 year post T2 ETS - pros and cons

dryhands

I am a 35 yr male who suffered from palmer HH for as long as I can remember. I had a girlfriend in High school that called me ‘slimy hands’ and an ex-wife that didn’t like to hold my hand in public. I could watch the sweat bead up on my fingers. I wasn’t really neurotic about my HH but still it presented annoying life difficulties. You all know this already.
Last year I decided to have T2 ETS done. One year later I’ll share what happened and where I’m at now.
THE SURGERY
No problems pre or during. Post I was in a great deal of pain. I opted for no painkillers as I do not like the feeling of being drugged. My surgeon thought I was crazy. I had stinging needle pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades and my chest for weeks. Parts of my chest and arms were numb for many weeks. I had trouble breathing with painful cough attacks originating from pain in my sternum for a week. I couldn’t raise my arms above my head for a month. I’m just now getting normal sensation in my armpits. Most definitely the most painful experience of my life.

THE RESULTS
So what about my sweaty hands? No more. Period.

THE SIDE EFFECTS
GOOD
I noticed that my face does not sweat anymore. If I eat spicy food I’ll display only mild sweating, but nothing like before.
BAD
Dry hands - I need a bottle of lotion around me at all times. There is one in every room of the house, in my car, at work, and for emergencies I carry chap-stick in my pocket at all times. Holding objects is a little awkward with very dry hands. That little bit of moisture needed to grasp objects is important. On the flipside with severe palmer HH it was also difficult.
Compensatory Sweating
This is a misnomer. It should be HYPER-Compensatory Sweating. The amount of sweating my hands did was maybe, MAYBE 20% of what my body now does.
Wet Feet – I did have HH of the feet before ETS, but now post ETS it is worse. It is almost impossible to wear sandals outside in hot weather. My feet get so wet that they slip all over the sandals and make walking actually difficult.
Torso – Back and chest sweat profusely. 10 minutes working on in a hot environment and it looks like I have had a bucket of water thrown at me. Only dry part is my shoulders and upper chest. Sitting here on a warm summer day in my house with a fan on, and my back is wet and I can feel sweat dripping down my sides and spine. I just took off my shirt and put on shorts to cool off. Back to normal.
Legs – My legs sweat profusely as well. Wearing jeans on a hot day is now a bit bothersome. I can develop a sweat line…or a drench line starting at my belt line and working its way down to my crotch. I would never make it if I did manual labor.
MY THOUGHTS
Was it effective?
Yes. I do not have sweaty hands anymore. I love it.

Was it too effective?
Yes, our bodies need moisture. My hands are too dry now (I know…this statement for HH suffers is akin to saying “I have too much money” to a poor person but it is the sad truth.) I am now a slave to hand lotions.

Was it worth it?
From the standpoint of how difficult life is with sweaty hands, yes, it was.

Based on Compensatory Sweating side effects, im not sure. I’m am now on a quest to deal with my torso sweating. However, I can say this…Socially torso sweating for males is more acceptable that hand sweating. A drenched shirts says I’m a manly man with muscles and chest hair and I sweat when I exert myself. A drenched handshake says I’m ucky.

Given the chance would I do it all over again?
No, not until I THOROUGHLY tried all alternatives. That being said I do not like taking pharmaceuticals so I’m sure that is one option I would not try.

ADVICE
Talk to someone that has had this surgery. Better yet, meet them face to face and see the results. Understand what Compensatory Sweating really means. Know that you will not get rid of excessive sweating. You will simply move it to a different place and most likely increase it. Imagine yourself in a similar situation with different results. …. A hot office meeting room with a wet shirt vs. drenched palms. Know what your threshold is. What your life situation is and how body, face, palm, feet sweating will affect you. And definitely try alternatives.

CAL L FOR HELP
So now my turn. I’m on this forum because I now need to see if I can combat my torso/leg sweating. I don’t want pharmaceuticals and I would rather not be burdened by soaking in a contraption 2 times per week.
Has anyone had success with topical ointments or antiperspirants such as Hydrosal or Maxim on the torso and legs?

Thanks.
DryHands
(WetTorso)

HH

thanks for writing that. What did you try for your hand sweating before the surgery? I'm not sure maxim or Hydrosal would work for such large areas as legs, you would probably need something like avert or the secure wipes or both to have a better impact on the sweating.
It must be hell having to live with torso/body sweating, hopefully one day there'll be able to treat hyperhirosis better instead of all these half measures