4 month Avert update

WetPalms

Hey everyone,
So I've been taking avert for just about 4 months now, and thought I'd give an update to those who are thinking of trying the drug and want to know what they are getting themselves into.

I have mainly palmer hyperhidrosis with occasional face, back and chest.
You can see my original post here for details: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/my-story-trying-avert-36182/

To help you guys with dosage I'm a guy, 25, about 5'11, 170 lbs
I have been taking 2mg of avert pretty much every day (missing a few) and taking a second 2mg some days if needed.
I have found very few side effects with one pill (severe sore throat is common with 4mg unless you space them a part), and as people have mentioned taking it a good 30min - 1hr before eating is critical.

Avert has not been 100% effective, but it has significantly reduced my sweating to the point where it is generally manageable.
I'm a lawyer and am constantly shaking hands, meeting people, in high stress work conditions so this pill has been literally a life saver.
Avert has not been 100% consistent, some days are worse than others both in terms of sweat and side effects. On bad sweat days I often take a second pill.

I know many are concerned about exercising on Avert. This has not been problematic for me, although I did have one bad experience of getting dehydrated and very dizzy while out running on a hot day earlier in the year.
I have found no problem if you exercise either before the meds kick in (it gives you something to do in that hour before you can eat) or later in the day. The pills seems to lose effectiveness after 5-6 hours.

As I said for now I have been taking the meds almost every day. Slightly worried they may lose their effectiveness, but since I am only taking 2mg I figure I can up the dosage later.

Overall Avert is highly recommended. I tried botox in the past and it has done nothing for me, as well as Drisol which helped a little, but barely.
actually, I have found Drisol much more effective when combined with Avert, since I know the drugs arent 100% effective, I sometimes use both on days where I know I will have an important social function. Avert reduces my palm sweating by more than 50% on most days and up to 80% on good days. It also has pretty much completely removed my secondary face, back and chest sweating. Its not perfect, but its the best thing I've found so far.

If you have any questions, happy to answer.

Soy Sauce

Do your feet sweat excessively? I dont' think I've ever heard of someone with palmar HH who did not have plantar HH. Guess HH can effect people in all sorts of ways.

I took Avert for 4 yrs. I wouldn't of been able to do my job properly if I didnt' use it, but I finally tried iontophoresis and haven't looked back since. The sideeffects became too annoying and just things like timing it right for social situations and having to watch what/when you eat. Getting caught off gaurd and having to be stuck in a social situation suddenly, not having took my avert.

The biggest fear was what kind of effects it would have long term on my body. I was concerned about the effect on the brain, due to the headaches and even my eyesight, as my eyes would dry out and couldn't focus properly. There is no information available on longterm use of glycoppyrolate and honestly, I believe long term use of avert can negatively effect your health.

I understand though, that for some people, it's the best option. For someone like you, who also suffers from chest/back/facial HH, the answer is not as easy as some like me who only has palmar/plantar HH and has had success using iontophoresis. Wish I had a better solution.

I still have a bottle of avert for emergency situations where I haven't kept up with my iontophoresis treatments and my hands are sweaty and I know I'm going to be in a social situation that might result in embarassment from sweaty hands.

WetPalms

Yes, I also have plantar, which is more or less the same as the palms. Feet is something I can live with so I often don't even think to list it as a symptom.

I definitely know where you are coming from worrying about health risks, I looked into this drug extensively before trying it, and ran it by a few doctors.
While I would never be so bold as to say theres no long term side effects, I seriously doubt avert would have any effect on your mental well being.
The drug does not cross the blood/brain barrier which means it can not, in and of itself harm your brain. It could harm something else, which in turn harm can harm your brain of course.

That said, headaches and dry eyes are a side effect of avert since it reduces all forms of moisture in your body, both the good and the bad. I wear contact lenses so I am well aware of the eye problem.
Headaches/dizzyness, I wouldnt be too concerned about, as that is much more likely an indication of dehydration than any direct effect of the drug. If anyone is considering trying avert, it is very important to keep hydrated.

margiehope

Thanks for the update, WetPalms.

It's true that Avert's effectiveness is different on different days--and unpredictably so.

Still, like you I find it the most effective answer to my HH.

Stay well!