6 more ...

Butterflies

Hello - any fellow ozzies want to join an on-line support group. We want to meet weekly using tele-conference, messaging technology (whatever works) - set goals, share ideas, discuss techniques and come back to each other?

If you are interested please email me: [email protected]

Joey86

I think this is a great way to meet other people in Australia who have social anxiety. What better way to get over the disorder than to do it along with oher fellow sufferers? I'm on board! =)

Butterflies

Joey - thanks for the email - I agree - it is definately going to be a great place for Social Anxiety sufferers to start.

For those just starting the journey - you don't even have to speak until you're ready - just listen in. No pressure on anyone. Everyone feels the same way. We can support each other - no need to feel embarassed with fellow sufferers - nothing to hide. We all understand.

Take a step - walk into a comfortable place where you can grow and be encouraged.

What can you lose? This is a way to slowly start getting life on track - become accountable and have the help you need.

annie

Butterflies said:
Hello - any fellow ozzies want to join an on-line support group. We want to meet weekly using tele-conference, messaging technology (whatever works) - set goals, share ideas, discuss techniques and come back to each other?

If you are interested please email me: [email protected]

Hi,

If I may ask a few questions and make some comments.

Where in Australia are you based?
There used to be a telelink group for people with agoraphobia run from Melbourne and still may, but I know it was rather expensive to run as the people who run it where based from a Neighbourhood House and received funding to run such a group.

Your idea sounds great - I wish well with it.

Good luck!

annie :)

Butterflies

Hi Annie - I'm in Brisbane Qld. Others interested in the group are based in Melbourne and Perth. It's early days yet. We're just putting ideas together.

As far as plans and costs - it's still coming together - I have to do a little research on teleconference lines (I know there are some very low costs available) Also, maybe someone will sponsor a non-profit group. There is so much technology available - we will find a solution that works.

The other thing is I use Skype to have a Vietnamese lesson every week from Vietnam - the sound is clear and it costs me nothing.

I'm not sure about volume over Skype - I'm going to investigate because it would be a no cost option.

P.S. You wished us well. Do you have Social Phobia - are you interested in joining? Please email me if you interested [email protected]

If not, your feedback on what's stopping you from making the step to join a group would be helpful.

Thx

annie

Hi butterflies,

I wished you well because everything little bit that people can do help each other is good. No I don’t suffer from social anxiety and that is probably the reason I will not join. I am already involved in two of my own forums, one is an anxiety forum and the other just a general one for women only.

I am glad you are doing your research and not just jumping into it – because there are a lot of people who have great ideas and don’t do their homework and then the group falls apart.

I do know a lot of people with social anxiety so when you group starts perhaps I will give them your email address to enquire.

Butterflies

annie said:
Hi butterflies,

I wished you well because everything little bit that people can do help each other is good. No I don’t suffer from social anxiety and that is probably the reason I will not join. I am already involved in two of my own forums, one is an anxiety forum and the other just a general one for women only.

I am glad you are doing your research and not just jumping into it – because there are a lot of people who have great ideas and don’t do their homework and then the group falls apart.

I do know a lot of people with social anxiety so when you group starts perhaps I will give them your email address to enquire.

Annie thanks for this - so you are running a business? Are we your target market? What is you women's group - can anyone join?

Sorry - so many questions.

P.S. If you have any tips on setting up our group - can you let me know. I'd appreciate it.

annie

Butterflies said:
annie said:
Hi butterflies,

Annie thanks for this - so you are running a business? Are we your target market? What is you women's group - can anyone join?

Sorry - so many questions.

P.S. If you have any tips on setting up our group - can you let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Hi again,

Well I guess both forums that I moderate anyone from here can join.

One is an anxiety forum which you will find at www.adavic.org.au the message board.

The newest forum started up with a friend is for women only and not an anxiety related site even though we do have a health & wellbeing section.
Any woman from this forum is welcomed.
the URL is: http://girltalkcity.com

I can possibly help you set up your group, but you need to tell me what type of group you want. If it is going to via telelink up I might not be able to help as I don't have that much experience. Have you ever thought of having an yahoo email type group?
I know there is quite a few around, but if you run it well, people will join. I don't know much about them as being an owner, but more as a participant. You can research Yahoo email groups and see what you find.

Do you want your group to be for Australians only or is everybody welcomed?

Just a few things to think about.

Butterflies

Hi Annie - thanks for this. I'll check out the links you've sent. Haven't had the chance to look yet but I will be in touch.

Thanks for your encouraging words.

SilentStranger

I don't know if any of you logon to this site, but if you do... let me know who the group is going... I am tempted to join.

-SS

Butterflies

Ok - I've been trying to make contact with people in the last few weeks but I am having a few challenges with my email account. I can't send anything out. I'm taking some holidays next week so I will look into it then.

I am hoping to have a few girls join before we get started. Keep a good gender balance :)