A bit of advice please

Hi people, i just wanted to ask a question about something to see what you lot thought, because i'm really stuck with it.
You see, i really want to be a graphic artist. But the problem is that i've gotten into this sort of mindset that only the best people out there get chosen to do it, and not the people which are just quite good (which is where i know i am at). I think things to myself such as 'why would anybody pick my stuff to published when there are an awful lot of people out there which are better than i am?, and are amoung the best'. Also i was round at my uncles house the other day, and i started telling everybody what i wished i could do for a living when they asked me what i was doing with myself nowadays. And one of my uncles friends came out with 'ah yeah, graphic artist, one of my sons friends wants to get into that, but it's exetremly competitive'. That made me question the whole situation a whole lot more. As long as i was safe in the knowledge that it isn't only the best which get chosen for publication etc, then i'd be alright. but it's just as though there is a huge instability in me with that at the moment, and it's as though i need it documented as a fact that it isn't only the best which get picked (because i know for a fact i am not amoung the best, and i'm not just being paranoid)
eurgh, i've done enough rambling for now lol

any replies at all with whatever you think would be greatly appreciated
thanks

MadCat

Hey!

I'm into 3D graphics myself. I've learning more about animations instead of the models. What type of graphics artist? Photoshop? etc...

Where do you think the ones at the top got there? There's this guy, Sabastien Laban I think his name is..he's not really UP there at the top yet his stuff rivals alot of stuff I've seen by individuals.

You'll get your stuff published. All you need is to try get your best and put them on a demoreel. Once again, I'm talking from a 3D animator POV though.

One of the best ways to get recognized is to pump your stuff out and get it noticed. This can be done at many forums and once you've built yourself a some loyal fans and reputation, you can move on to the bigger stuff. Start a project and finish it in a timeframe. Keep ths up and you'll get an email sooner or later from someone interested in your art and would like to [insert whatever here].

If you start playing the competitive game your art will somewhat deminish. Focus on your art, not th ecompetition.

Chilling__Echo

do what you love! i have to go to grad school for a psychology degree, and i want a doctorate at that, and i'm not that smart at all. plus, there are maybe three schools in every state (just not mine, only all the ones around me) that offer it, and they only take maybe 10 students a year... but i'm going for it anyway. i'd be unhappy with anything else. don't let yourself regret not doing it!

MadCat

Any besides, she's giving me psychology sessions right now so she's a bit busy with her schedule..

rofl :D

process

Hi KeepTheFaith01,

No matter what your decision, whether you choose to pursue your dream, or not. Whether your decision, whatever it may be, leads to a terrible mistake or not, know this:
You can handle it. You can handle any outcome which falls upon you, even if it leads to your death. I promise you.

wutnow

KeepTheFaith01 said:
You see, i really want to be a graphic artist. But the problem is that i've gotten into this sort of mindset that only the best people out there get chosen to do it, and not the people which are just quite good (which is where i know i am at). ... i need it documented as a fact that it isn't only the best which get picked (because i know for a fact i am not amoung the best, and i'm not just being paranoid.

any replies at all with whatever you think would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Chosen? I think it's like any other job. You get the training/ degree then start looking for work - I'm not sure it's a talent-type contest, though a good, well formatted portfolio helps.

I work with a fine-arts major that does 3D models of buildings. He knows little about architecture, but he sure knows the software he's using. We have an intern pursuing a degree in architecture doing all the Photoshop, Pagemaker, graphics/ marketing type stuff, because he's the most knowledgeable in that area. I don't think he's getting an architecture degree to do Photoshop. It just kind of played out that way.

I think if you just get a job and show them that you are good and take on every task without hesitation (which may be hard) they'll turn to you more and more and for more difficult/ high-esposure/ scrutiny tasks.

Sometimes it's just a matter of who can get it done the quickest, to hell with what it looks like :( . Time frame is important. The 3D guy we hired can do the models in a quarter of the time our previous 3D guy did them in. Instant value, even if it's mediocre.

I say Go for it. Stay focused at the next task and don't be discouraged when someone says your work sucks (someone will, I guarentee it). If you get the chance, create something incredible that you know only you cna do. It will establish you as person with a unique talent/ skill no one else has.

So yeah, I say do it :wink: .

black_mamba

Every field is competitive! Show me one that isn't.

You seem to be quite sure you have what it takes to make good graphics - good! I didn't have that when I wanted to become a graphic designer a few years ago and I left art college feeling kinda crappy. It wasn't my thing, although I knew I could draw well my heart wasn't in it. But you seem to be the complete opposite, so I'd say what are you waiting for?

'ah yeah, graphic artist, one of my sons friends wants to get into that, but it's exetremly competitive'.

Haha I got that a lot too when I was an art student, it really felt quite patronising. Almost as if he's trying to dissuade you! :roll:

Put this guy to shame and go for it.

Savannah

Hello KeepTheFaith01,
I'm a graphic designer/graphic artist.. I graduated last year. I now freelance from home, because I hate leaving the house. It works great for me, I work when I feel up to it.. and don't really mind about the money, *it's not like I go out and need to spend any*

Oak had mentioned "Once you graduate you are equally good as the others who have the same diploma." and that is exactly it!

"it's extremely competitive".. hehe, I heard that one too! before I got into the program, and while I was in it. I was told first year 100 students, second year 50, and last year 15.. which more or less happen. But that's because people dropped out! If you really want to make it, and do all your assignments.. you graduate. It's pretty straight forward.

After that.. it's a matter of where YOU would like to work, and getting your work out there. The field is very broad.. and abstract. So for example if like layout (ie. magazines etc.) your 'style' of work will get you into a certain magazine publisher. It's not based on how good you are..
ART is always good! :) it's just depends on who likes what.

You'll find that out too with your professors.. some will love one design and others will hate it. Which means you have to be able to take a lot of criticism (apparently that's how 'you learn').. I hated that part..

Anyway.. I hope that helps. Keep me updated if you decide to go that route
good luck :)

thank you to all who replied. i never ever expect any replies when ever i post something, so this was a nice surprise 8). you all seem like very encouraging people, and i wish that i could share your states of mind at the moment lol. it's not that i feel as though i am not very good at what i do. it's just that i feel as though i'm not as good as alot of other people out there, so therefor it makes me feel as though i will not be picked to do jobs because there are people out there which can supply something better than me. Or, nobody is going to want to pay for my stuff when there is better stuff available. i never used to feel like this, though somebody i used to know made me realise it. and now it's as though i'm just looking for the motivation to do it again after knowing this

KeepTheFaith