A little thought, for hope...

Angel_Of_Death

Not sure why I thought of this today, but I started thinking about an event that happened when I was a small boy, maybe 7 or 8 years old...

I was playing outside one evening, when a dog came running towards me...I got scared and started running. Obviously the dog chased me, and the dog I'm sure just wanted to play...anyways, long story short the owner came and called his dog and he went away. But at that time I got really scared and from that moment on I was afraid of dogs.

Until I was 14, when my best friend got a dog...As I was at his place everyday...I had no choice but to face my fear. And after facing my fear on a regular basis, I started to not be afraid of dogs. And now I don't have that fear anymore.

So...my point is, if I could overcome my fear of dogs, by facing my fear, I should be able to do the same thing with my fear of social situations by doing the same, facing my fear.

And this little thought, gave me a little bit of hope, that one day I might be able to conquer this.

Thoughts ?

Angel_Of_Death said:
Not sure why I thought of this today, but I started thinking about an event that happened when I was a small boy, maybe 7 or 8 years old...

I was playing outside one evening, when a dog came running towards me...I got scared and started running. Obviously the dog chased me, and the dog I'm sure just wanted to play...anyways, long story short the owner came and called his dog and he went away. But at that time I got really scared and from that moment on I was afraid of dogs.

Until I was 14, when my best friend got a dog...As I was at his place everyday...I had no choice but to face my fear. And after facing my fear on a regular basis, I started to not be afraid of dogs. And now I don't have that fear anymore.

So...my point is, if I could overcome my fear of dogs, by facing my fear, I should be able to do the same thing with my fear of social situations by doing the same, facing my fear.

And this little thought, gave me a little bit of hope, that one day I might be able to conquer this.

Thoughts ?

great post!

elleklobber

I agree with you very much.

Similar situation with me with dogs too. I was always afraid of them and now my bf has a dog and its helped me around dogs, now I can see their behaviour etc, I know they are just playing etc so Im no longer as afraid.

I keep thinking if I just face my fears, they will get easier. Im doing it slowly, but facing your fears can be so difficult if you fear them so bad :(

LonelyLeaf

I think psychologists call it exposure therapy...were you gradually expose youself to the feared situation, thus slowly lessening the degree of anxiety experienced in that situation...

It's odd because I experienced something similar around that age...me and my father were walking in the woods and this man and his dog came along and the dog started barking loudly and ran after me. Until my father yelled loudly at it and it scampered off never to be seen again (We still joke to this day that the poor guy is looking for his dog :lol: )