a possible solution..

elparanoic

I have been thinking that a possible solution would be make a radical change in our lives .The change would be going to an other city,make new friends,a new job and begin a new life.Do you thing that this change would the solution or always the illness follow with us?

Scottish_Player

I have often thoght of moving abroad and starting agian,but when it comes down to it iam still me,iam still the same person with the same problems which are socializing,meeting people and going to public places so i think my problems would just follow me :(

Hellraising

It may work for some. But others may find it too overwhelming, which I'm sure I would too. I would probably die of a heart attack or something, and I'm not exaggerating.

Nital

Thats what i was hoping would happen when i first went off to college. Everything was new to me, and no one knew me as the shy kid, but it didnt change my ability to make friends and meet people, although I tried very hard, and it was just awkward and forced. For some reason my second semester was a little better and I made a few friends. Part of it has been living with roomates i guess. I think if I just moved to a new city I would be lonely for a very long time.

Makaylee

elparanoic said:
I have been thinking that a possible solution would be make a radical change in our lives .The change would be going to an other city,make new friends,a new job and begin a new life.Do you thing that this change would the solution or always the illness follow with us?

I think you've made a good point. I think about that quite a bit.

I made a move to Arizona a few years ago and stayed for a few months, and for some reason I felt like a totally different person. I actually felt confident for once, and could talk to other people with no problem... There really is something about nobody knowing you and nobody knowing about your problems that really makes it easy to kinda reinvent yourself.

I actually got to choose who I wanted to be.

When I came back here to Tennessee, I honestly came back to the person I used to be here... Everyone knew how I was SP, so they treated me accordingly, and it is just so easy to fall back into the same trap of acting the same way...

So yes, I think it does help alot... I know it did help me for that short while. And if I could move and try it again, I would...

Elisa

when I was living in london my phobia GO..!! but, when come back to spain the phobia come back.. also. :cry:

I don't know why.. :wink:

A radical change in my life is what triggered mine. I have always been a little shy but it has never been a very big deal.. I use to be very popular in school and had a lot of friends.. i would talk all the time.. i use to even get in trouble in class for talking too much sometimes.. i was just a little shy around people i didnt know.. all the popular girls who are cheerleaders now wanted me :lol: but i guess my life as a kid was too good.. cus it all turned around.. i moved down south and lost contact with all my friends.. people were so much different, i didnt make any friends for the first year i lived here except for a couple in my PE class.. which i found out later on that they were not the type i should'a been hangin out with.. so i had no friends until my second year here and i still didnt make many then.. and i got picked on and made fun of cus ive always had somewhat of a stuttering problem, and it got worse when i didnt do much talking. So i got picked on and teased because of that, and i also got picked on from comming from up north. So i got use to it and kinda learned to live like that and like it to a degree although now i hate being shy and want to get out of it. I got too use to it though and couldnt get out of it.. and now i hardly talk to anybody. I cant start conversations with anybody, especially girls im attracted to.. and i get told often that im cute and sweet and that the only reason ive never had a girlfriend is because i never talk to anybody. I think im ugly and people are just being nice trying to make me feel more comfortable.. but the shyness is definatly a reason.

But anyway.. yea.. i kinda feel like sometimes if i moved somewhere else things might be different.. but i dont know that it would help very much. I think i am too use to being so quiet. I am moving back up north somewhere someday anyway... guess ill have to see what happens.

mistmephit

I've moved around a bit in my life (once to go university and again when I got my first full time job). It has had some benefits since it has forced me to over come some of my fears. However with each move I've begun to feel more isolated and found it harder and harder to make any new friends :( .

So the only people I really have any contact with are the people I work with. It's not that I don't like hanging around with other people it's just that I don't seem to be able to start a conversation with some one I don't know.

Anyway thanks for listening.

ricoche

I'm starting CEGEP in 1 year and a half (that's between high school and university) and all of my friends are going in different cegeps except one but we won't be in the same program and we won't see each other a lot. I hope it'll change something. I usually have a good start. People come and talk to me a lot but then I'm too shy to talk to them and they give up. But this time I don't want to lose my chance. I've had the same reputation for 4 years and I can't wait to get rid of it and start again. I really hope it'll work... :?

ricoche

I'm starting CEGEP in 1 year and a half (that's between high school and university) and all of my friends are going in different cegeps except one but we won't be in the same program and we won't see each other a lot. I hope it'll change something. I usually have a good start. People come and talk to me a lot but then I'm too shy to talk to them and they give up. But this time I don't want to lose my chance. I've had the same reputation for 4 years and I can't wait to get rid of it and start again. I really hope it'll work... :?

Colin

I am also looking for radical change, but I agree with you, it has to be so radical that I will leave my SA life behind. But I'm sure that will have its own problems too so I got to think beyond SA.

Vorphalack

elparanoic said:

It may work, and it may not. When I started my military service I felt I had changed my life finally, but two months later everyone knew me and things started to be the same as in my city.

If you move to another place, it's possible that the situations that cause your phobia do not occur, but there's no guarantee unless you go to the jungle, or a place so different (another culture) where people were like you. Your personality will always be with you, and it is a very big problem for you to consider your personality as an illness (disease). You will never get rid of who you are, here, in London, or in Moscow.

Eres lo que eres, amigo.