A story of voyeurism, rumours, and suspense!

Gloomy

Two weeks ago I went outside by myself for the first time in years. When I got home there was a notice on the door saying road work was going to be started and it would be a five month project. Yesterday I built up the courage to go outside again. This was a terrible mistake.

Yesterday I had my fears of going outside confirmed. I just walked a little down the street and came back home. There has been road work on my street so I was curious to see what they have been doing. So anyways I had my short walk and came back home. I was feeling good after doing that. Got on the internet for a while then went downstairs to exercise. When I finished I came upstairs and saw my mother talking with somebody on the front porch. This made me nervous and for good reason.

When my mother finished speaking with the man outside she came and related his tale to me. Apparently there was a suspicous person outside earlier who was walking down the street and was peeking in people's windows. Oddly this person appearance and activities matched my own, except for the window peeking part.

What happened is I have an old neighbor who just had a hip replacement who spends his time staring spying on his neighbors while he is recuperating. He apparenlty did not like the way I looked so he invented this story of me and he spread this rumour to others. One neighbor called the police and luckily then proceeded to come to our house to tell my mother the latest gossip.

My mother isn't very bright so she did not recognize the character in the story as being me but when she told me I immediatley recognized him as being me. My mother went over and explained to him what happened so police involvement was able to be halted. I hope. The paranoid old cripple hasn't been confronted yet. My mother said I should go over there and introduce myself to him. That's not going to happen.

So this is what happens when I go outside. My worst fears come true. What was I thinking coming out of my pit of gloom. My place is inside, hidden and miserable. I have no right to go outside and be happy.

I think the paranoid crippled coot needs to find a new hobby. Maybe he should watch movies. I would suggest watching Rear Window. As for me I'm just fucked. There is no stopping a rumour. I will forever be known as the neighborhood pervert. People will watch me if I ever go out again. The adults shall shun me and the children shall harass me.

Sorry for the long post.

cherish

I don't have any advice, but if it makes you feel better i'd feel the same way. If you know that the old man spies on people and tries to cause trouble i bet the other neighbors know it too. And i bet he does something similar again and then maybe everyone won't take too seriously what they hear. Awesome job conquering your fear though, that's the most important thing.

Richey

Gloomy just ignore the old man, easy for me to say but you know you haven't done anything wrong, so i hope you can do it again soon.

Septor

Shoot if I live there I would have a hard time going out to but don't let it stop you from going out side.You can't always control what happens or the action of people when you go out side.You have done good job conquering your fear.Don't let some one with to much time one there hand set you back from what you have already accomplish.

yeah buddy thats exactly what i have to say. its hard i no to be going out so less often n then to be faced with something so bad as this. but what i have to say is that no body shud let u stop urself from going out. i mean just imagine that cripple is tyring to have his share of fun by doin this mean thing to u and u for his sake will stop going out when it makes u feel good??
no.. u will not do that. life is hard for us people n things like this do happen to make it harder n harder. but we r also a strong bunch of ppl. because we have an endurance level that no ordinary person can have n that makes us strong doesnt it??
well comin back to the point, ull have to go n talk to that guy just why exactly hes doing this n whether he gets some sadistic pleasure outta it. tell him a little about urself. tell him that ur life is already tough n he shud nt make it tougher.
don presume already what other ppl will think of u next time u go out. tell that old guy that he had no rite to do such a thing n tht he ought to rectify what he has spoiled. its very imp u talk with him about this
its ur life n u have the rite to go out as much as that freak has. he has to be taught a lesson for what he has done. there is always an option to be scared n not go out again. but think about it-is it fair on urself that u do such a cowardly act while that freak has a good time at ur expense sspreading rumors.
don let that asshole reverse ur sense of freedom
go talk to him!!! do somehthin. don sit back
best of luck!!!

TLZ

Rumors suck. I know all about this. The best advice I can give is to ingore them and hope that people have enough sense to know they aren't true.

Gloomy

An odd thing happened a couple of nights ago. Two police cars pulled up in front of my voyeur neighbor's house. They turned off their lights and went into his house. A little later they came out with the man and they were looking at some papers with him and talking. Then man went back inside and the police went to their cars did some stuff with the papers for a while then left.

What was that about?
My guess is they were looking for someone to collect child support or something and that is where he used to live but moved.

I should have took some pictures of it and started my own rumours about him for revenge.

Boundless

Nah,revenge doesnt work and never will.Hes a sad man to creat such lies but dont let him stop you going out,show he how much his lies mean to you by rubbing it in his face by going out and showing him you dont care.Once he see he has no control he will not do anything else.

Snowcrash

The guy must be bored and lonely to be making up weird stories to draw attention to himself.

Imagine that, wanting to draw attention to yourself?

My guess is he has started all sorts of crazy rumors and stories and that most of your neighbors know not to pay much attention to it.

simkhan

your days are gloomy but...

Here there gloomy... I know it's easier said then done. But don't let them psychos bother you. Your not the person with anything wrong, that other guy who started the rumor is.

Okay, you might hate me for saying this... but... take a deep breath, build some courage and go outside. Go for a walk everyday. Not too long, just for a few minutes. The more you stay inside, the more people will think the rumors are true. The more you go outside the more people will realize what a nut the other guy is. There's no need to talk to anyone. Just go for a quick walk and come back. This will take time to happen and again, I know it's easier said then done. But gloomy... your days are only as gloomy as you let them be... Rumors are only true if you believe it yourself and let them be true.

Good Luck.
simkhan

Gloomy

When I was in High School the same thing happen to me. This one kid spread a rumor around that I had climbed up on the neighbors roof to peek in the girls room. This girl was in my class. The kid that spread the rumor was the one that exactly did the peeking. So he spread all around the highschool. After that people thought I was a weirdo, perv. I tried defending myself, but no one would listen to my story.

simkhan

I wouldn't try defending myself or anything. If you didn't do anything wrong you don't need to prove anything to anyone. Just go about your day as if you don't even know about those rumors. Sometimes people are more bothered when they can't get to your nerves. And when you go about your business as if nothing happened, there are some people who may start thinking differently and actually think you didn't do what is being spread about you. Your not "guilty until proven innocent" your "innocent until proven guilty." But hiding yourself from everyone else just proves the other persons point. They win because they got you to do what they wanted you to do.

Shonen_Yo

I enjoyed reading this because I can relate. Last Year I use to take strolls late at night (11PM - 12PM). I found in to be very therapeutic. Anyway, I was walking the halls of my school and I heard someone saying how he saw me walking around at night and said it as if I were some sort of midnight rapist. Needless to say that turned me off the whole idea. :evil: