afraid to be alone?

lawyerguy

Perhaps a lot of the unhappiness we face with our conditions stems from our inability to be happy by ourselves. Its kind of a cruel joke that god (or nature or whatever) gave us the desire to be with others yet limited our ability to socialize. Maybe we can find happiness by accepting that we will never be able to have lots of friends and be happy with the our own company. Or be happy with the few close friends who can relate with us? I used to be really depressed about not having friends or girlfriends..until I realized...that having friends or a relationship doesn't necessarilly mean you will find someone you can bond with. Many times its better to be alone than having a dysfunctional relationship. I don't know..I might be talking out of my ass...

shep

I agree with you. Sp is a disability of sorts and its seriousness varies from person to person. For young people, it's tough to see your peers go on to college, form relationships, find jobs, etc. while those with sp try to do the same. I believe there is lots to love about this life even with this or some other disability and it takes a measure of acceptance and not setting ones sights unrealistically high. :roll:

LilMissTragic

I have SP but I aint unhappy...I'm happily engaged, I have no friends though but I've always been happier in my own company anyways. When my Fianc'e works or is away then I am happy at home with my dogs. Maybe its because I have had SP for so long that i'm now used to it...perhaps.

Yossarian

Hmm...I'm quite happy alone. It's alot easier and I'm so used to it now the thought of being in a relationship just feels weird. Still hasn't helped with my SP though. I do think it helps to deal with the consequences of SP in terms of human interaction. Just not with buying socks and stuff.

Hamble

It's good if you can find one or two people in the world who you can relate to and trust enough to be youself with. I find when I cut people off I deteriorate. I'm not fond of people, but I need companionship. Am v fussy though when it comes to picking friends / gfs which I think is good in a way. I find having a lot of mates/aquaintances or a string of partners false. I can only share so much of myself out. I need things to be real and reliable.