Age differences in relationships??

Emosocks

I have feelings on a 20 year old guy and I'm 16.....I'm scared to tell anyone because I'm unsure of what they might think or say? what are your thoughts on age differences, whats too old and whats too young??:idontknow:

Ree

I wouldn't worry too much :) it's only 4 years difference... and there's plenty of people who are together with a much greater age gap. Also, apparently guys mature later compared to girls, so it's more kind of natural for girls to go with guys older than them. I don't think you can really get 'too old or too young', love is love after all :) Good luck!

SyncSolo

That's...ok, lots of 16 year old girls used to date guys a few years older when I was at school. The oldest was around 24, which seemed too old to me at the time, but they both seemed very happy. I was jealous really, now I'm in my 30s and still have no one. No chance now, oh well!

SophiaL

When I was 16, I had a boyfriend who was 20 and nobody thought twice about it. It's no big deal, only four years.

Lavinialuna

As a woman I would like to say that 4 years is nothing. My husband and I are 5 years apart (I'm older) but it hasn't been an issue.
As a mother I would like to caution that you are pretty young to be dating a sexually mature man. He would likely be more experienced than you , and perhaps be ready for a more physical relationship more quickly. Also, depending on where you live and your local laws, he could possibly get in trouble for dating someone under the age of 18. He could get the label of "sex offender" for having sex with a minor and that would follow him for the rest of his life. Sex offenders have a hard time finding jobs, and felons can't get a passport (in the US, anyway.) If you really care about him, it might be wise to wait the 2 years.

Odo

Banned
Well, in the US 18 is a pretty big number legally, so there is more of a difference with you both being so young.

But when you're older it's no big deal.

Lilly789

My personal response is, I don't care. What you guys do is irrelevant to me, do what you want.

Howeevveerr... when people mention age differences, the issue isn't years. Its emotional maturity, sexual maturity and life experience. There's laws preventing these things in most states and countries for a reason - they don't just make them up for fun.

If you were 20, and he was 24... there'd be no issue.

But the difference between a 16 yr old and a 20 year old is pretty big.

This type of thing has happened where Ive lived before and the people are always viewed badly - you'd be viewed as pretty immature (or poorly educated/ from a lower socioeconomic background, usually) to not be able to see there's an issue (and possibly a bit 'promiscuous', because in terms of development he *should* be well and truly a much more sexual being than yourself at the moment, and yet, you're dating him), and he as a sex offender.

If it was love, neither of you would have a problem waiting. If its not, then you'd have to wonder why he is dating you, and vice versa.

Again, I'm a big believer in do whatever you want... but the above is something to think about - the laws aren't there for nothing, and people don't form these views from thin air.

Also, there's nothing wrong with telling people how you feel... they should be supportive of *you*, though they may not be supportive of taking your feelings any further. You should still be able to talk about it.

Last edited:

bcsr

It's relative.

There is typically a huge emotional maturity gap between 16 and 20, as opposed to say 26 and 30. How many adults can honestly say they were mature enough to make the best decisions at 16? I know I wasn't.

There's also the legal issues. Depending on where you live, he could be prosecuted for statutory rape if someone were to report it.

MotherWolff

Banned
I have feelings on a 20 year old guy and I'm 16.....I'm scared to tell anyone because I'm unsure of what they might think or say? what are your thoughts on age differences, whats too old and whats too young??:idontknow:

I remember meeting a creep online that told me he was like 50 years old and I was about 20. This dude wanted to have sex with me and I'm like thinking this is so weird I gotta stop talking to this guy and I did.

I think that if someone is older than you to the point where it would appear to be statutory rape......you should wait some years. When you're of age,its ok(like 18). Its your life, Emosocks.

eeep a very delicate subject. There's a lot of good replies here, this ones particularly good.

lavinialuna said:
As a woman I would like to say that 4 years is nothing. My husband and I are 5 years apart (I'm older) but it hasn't been an issue.
As a mother I would like to caution that you are pretty young to be dating a sexually mature man. He would likely be more experienced than you , and perhaps be ready for a more physical relationship more quickly. Also, depending on where you live and your local laws, he could possibly get in trouble for dating someone under the age of 18. He could get the label of "sex offender" for having sex with a minor and that would follow him for the rest of his life. Sex offenders have a hard time finding jobs, and felons can't get a passport (in the US, anyway.) If you really care about him, it might be wise to wait the 2 years.

yup that about sums it up.

You could be as mature as this guy mentally but then there's sexual maturity and experience and emotional maturity and all that and yea I think its probably a bad idea to be honest. I'd veer away from older guys for a few years.

I don't think age matters once everybody is an adult. My ex was 4 years older than me and it never came up except when he hit his 30s before me.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I dated a 29 year old when I was 22. Age gap was not the biggest issue in the relationship, it was the level of maturity of us both.

Most of my friends are in their 20's and I get along better with them than with older people. I don't know why. There's a few exceptions, but not many.

They're either too mature for their age or I'm immature.

Emosocks

thank you everyone, i totally understand all your opinions and i've decided to wait a couple of years because personally i think that if i wait it'll give us both time to mature so thank you:)

AGR

I don't think 16 and 20 is bad or that far at all,infact its pretty common in my country.......