Alcohol use...

invisible

OK I am new here... I was just wondering how many of you people use alcohol to become more talkative and less inhibited. It works very well for me. Unfortunately, many times I drink too much and become an asshole.

I hate to say this as well but I'm now alcohol dependent after drinking for several years. I started in highschool and now I'm 28. It's hard for me to go a day without a drink even though it is under control (I usually am fine with just a 40 ounce malt liquor beverage). Whew, it kinda sucks that I have another problem to deal with on top of my social anxiety.

And believe me, I can deal with hangovers and throwing up and black-outs and stumbling around like an idiot - all of that is easy compared with - having to speak in front of a group of people.. jesus christ that is truly frightening!

LA323

hey welcome dude, well i also love drinking and i also have used it to lower my SA and be more talkative, and im like u, i can deal with hangovers and all that, i can handle liquor very good. I come from a Mexican family, and as everyone knows, we love beer, and getting drunk, so i have been around it alot, but u should never use it for ur SA, u should use accomplishments, and patience to get better, i mean its not like ur gonna be dunk on every situation u go into. u should lower the amount of liquor u drink, and if u cant, then go get help, cuz its not good, ull fuck up ur body, trying to lower or get rid of ur shyness issues. do it now dude, really, take care, and ull find this website helfull, TRUST ME!!, peace out

invisible

well. to clear things up a bit.. i don't always drink to loosen myself in social settings.. i drink alone as well. Aww shit, that's a bad sign, i know... LOL.

GettingThere

I think that its fairly easy for someone with SA to lapse into alcoholism. I've had my moments drinking before work on several occasions in my past. Fact is though that it will only make things worse for you.

I firmly believe that you would be better off taking medication.
Sooner or later you will have to give up the drink because it will affect your physical and mental health eventually.

Kaya

I love alcohol, not only in social situations, but alone as well. I have rarely drank in situations where drinking was not already on the agenda - I would rather avoid a situation then turn up drunk, but there have been a few unavoidable situations where I have pocketed a hip flask of vodka to give me dutch courage. I still drink too much when I am bored...
I agree with gettingthere - you are better off on medication, many of which are non addictive and not as bad for your health, not to mention cheaper than alcohol.
Actually one of the few situations where I have had to drink outside of the social norm was going to the doctor to first admit I had a problem that was out of my control.

MrMr

i also drink,but only in social situations.so if i don't go out i don't drink.i think my biggest fear is that i would get hooked if i drank at home.i also suffer bad hangovers.here in ireland drink is a huge part of our lives,with almost all events taking place in the local pub.there are so many people here that spend every night and all day at the weekend in the pub.so this is a problem for me too,as i would need to go to the pub a lot more if i was going to socailise,as no one here seems to take part in other activities.i think that you need to ask for help,not only for the drinking but for your sa,as it would seem that this is the underlying cause.make sure you tell the doc the real reason for you having to drink so much to reduce your sa.i know it's not an easy thing,but think about the real good things that could happen for you if you get the correct therapy and support.always remember that you will get support and understanding on this forum,as we all want the same thing,to finally get over sa and start living the lives we crave so bad. :)

GettingThere said:
I think that its fairly easy for someone with SA to lapse into alcoholism. I've had my moments drinking before work on several occasions in my past. Fact is though that it will only make things worse for you.

Unfortunalty,I am one of those ppl who fell into alcoholism to ease my SA.Worked for the time being & made me 'social',but it only hurt me in the end.Personally,I think alcohol use and SA are a deadly mix

Anonymous

im not an alcoholic but in my opinion alcohol works better than any drug or therapy in easing the pain of sa. of course its not reccommended and its all ''blah blah therapy blah blah alcohols bad man! when i get drunk with my friends i can do anything and have fun. i can relax and dance and just be myself. i can go crazy and i like that. i don't really think i could ever be like that without alcohol. but i dont drink that often and i can see how easy it would be to become an alcoholic when it can really help with shyness. Loads sof people drink to be a bit more confident for the night and enjoy themselves. i dont think thats harmful but when your drinking alone its not so good.