Am I a Misanthrope?

jigglypuff

Am I a misanthrope?
it's not like if I have some kind of "hatred" toward humans but I really do dislike everything about them I'm not interested in communicating with anyone I don't enjoy socializing with people I try avoiding everyone but once someone see's me and tries talking to me I try not to make eye contact hoping they will go away buy it rarely works and people are confusing to understand (I'm confusing too) I dislike humans (I don't like myself)
One person who I could handle socializing with is a so called friend she understands me and she thinks the same as me we both dislike humans the only different things about us is that she talks a lot but what I like about her is that when I don't want to socialize she comes in and socializes with the person who wants to talk to me which makes my life a bit easier
my idea of a perfect day is just staying inside my room and reading books i have no interest in going to the outside world where a bunch of people are
I also think people stupidity increases everyday (sorry I don't mean to insult anyone)
Another reason why I like to be alone is because I dislike insulting people so when i'm alone I avoid everything of that and I enjoy my own company

Last edited:

Hoppy

No, I don't think so. You are an introvert and probably like spending time alone. I would also say that you just haven't met the right people yet, and when you meet them your feelings will change as well.

The fact that you worry about it, means you care too much to be one.

Hoppy

And about the stupidity: You will eventually meet people who are very bright, but at first you will think they are stupid just because they do not confirm by what you believe they should be.

It took me a long time to realize just because people think and do different from me doesn't make them stupid, just different.

recluse

Op I feel the same. I only really socialize when I am at work because I am forced to, as soon as I clock out I retreat into my own private world. People tire me out so much and I get irritable when I am with people for too long.

It's funny because with the customers I serve I put on an outgoing persona because it's a requirement of working in retail, then at home I am so withdrawn and quiet. I will sometimes be in the garden and I see someone walking past and I feel a sense of dread because they will expect to talk. Sometimes I actually hide if I hear someone aproaching!

I have no interest in going to bars and clubs like 99% of the population does unless it's to see a band. This leads me to feel alienated and isolated from society.

SilentBird

I used to think that I hated people. I have changed my mind. I just think that people are crazy. Myself included.

It has occurred to me that even though some of us retreat from people we are still interested in books, culture and the like, which ironically are created by people.

I guess some of us get along with reflective, thoughtful types.

jigglypuff

I'm also force to socialize through out the day and I hate it.I enjoy being in my own world better than the outside world that I learned to dislike. I actually do think that the nicest thing people can do for me is leave me alone.
but people tend to try to talk to me... it gets quite annoying which makes me want to interact less with others

Kiwong

At my worst I see many people as dysfunctional cows.

Like you jigglypuff, I don't hate humans but I certainly distrust them, which is apparently a characteristic of misanthrophy. I don't hate or dislike them, I just want to distance myself from them, because they can hurt and damage me.

But there are many people I admire, and am inspired by. Artists, photographers, writers, athletes.

Last edited: