an education.

Anonymous

i just wanna say that im sooo frustrated and sad about this........theres many people here that say that they are really depressed and anxious and everthying, but many of u got and education, or are going 2 college, and thats already a good step, but i dont, I COULDNT EVEN GO THRU HIGH SCHOOL, and i ended up droping out and didnt go back. I really want 2 get an education, but the whole college thing makes me sooooooo anxious, even just trying 2 get my GED is been an impossible task. I really want to study because i want 2 make my parents proud, and pay them back 4 are the things and love they have given me, and also feel good about myself and have a job i love, not just b a drop out cleaning toilets. I have all the oportunity to do this, we have a pretty good income and my parents push me, support me 100%, all i have to do is go 4 it, but i just cant, its sooo hard and i feel like theres a wall between me and my hapiness. and for those who go to college, WELL AT LEAST U GO 2 COLLEGE!!!!!!, im not talking trash or anything, cuz i love u all, im just saying that at least most of u push urselfs to stay or go 2 school, and i have none of that, THIS bLOWS, FUCKING SHIt !!!!!

Crimefish

I got kicked out of school when I was 15 too. They didn't like my pink hair, piercings or absences. So I'm being home-tutored until I finish. I'm almost done actually, but I don't really see much of a work-based future whether I finish school or not.
Edit: I am well educated though. My parents are smart, we have piles of books all through our house, and the stuff I wanted to learn they don't teach at school anyway. So I don't feel like I've missed out on anything special.

Chilling__Echo

once you get into school it isn't so hard. i was terrified to go to college but once you're there, all you can do is take it one day at a time. it isn't anything like high school. just go for it

dan246

The graduation rate at my high school was incredibly low. I managed to make it through. A lot of my friends did not. Some managed to get through night school, others didn't bother. The difference between you (LA) and my friends is that you WANT to graduate. You seem to want to go to some type of college/university too. My advice is to go for it. Get your high school finished for a start. If the thought of leaving for college scares you, then don't. Find a community college or local school and just commute. I haven't done very well since I've been here at school but I've been making it through. Like echo said, it isn't anything like high school. It's worth trying if you really want to. The reason I'm so pushy is because you have the motivation. I wish my friends were the same way. It’s not impossible for you to get an education. Maybe hard as hell, but not impossible.

tommydog

toward the end of high school was hard for me .... the last year in particular .. and it was apparent in my grades .. which were all either 0 or close to it.

i was never picked on .. and always had a big clique to hang out with .. but i used to get panic attacks in school, and in class sometimes .. and so yer it wasnt the best :(

college was a massive step for me .. but i knew i HAD to do it, and i just gave it everything i had. first step was the one on one orientation with the principle, i put in heaps of effort and preperation and i got through that .. then i got in to college and started attending my new class .. it was a big move .. and a very rewarding one. yes i had a few panic attacks at college .. but the trade off was my sp ended up improving heaps .. i met lots of new people .. made some good friends .. and, alas ... i learned my proffession which has led me to some important life experiences

do what you gotta do mate

Hamble

Why not take up part time correspondance study? I'm studying an English degree with the Open Uni It suits me financially and also means I get out of having to do presentations etc etc :)

nerdgirl178

I believe in education. Education is freedom and it opens your mind and it makes you more mature. I have SA for a long time now, and believe me it was soooooo hard to apply to University. Good thing is that most of my classes, like 100-200 level courses were huge so I can hide in the big crowd. Like one class was 240 people, the other is like 500. Now I am taking a class with 60 people, so its a straight lecture, and its 300 level! But when you get to your junior and senior year there are a lot of seminars to take. its super scary but I tell myself "its only an hour", and once the class is done and feel proud that I got throught it. even though most of the time I say not a word, but I just try to be there. most of life is just showing up! My SA is bad but I hang in there. I have to go to college, I cannot be a loser all my life. So get your butt in school and make your parents proud. It took me a long time to finish school because I was too scared to go sometimes, or sometimes I would take one class a semester. I am graduating soon and contemplating graduate school (with medication for my SA ofcourse) next year and I hope my SA will dissapear :)

RoboLobster

I dropped out of highschool too, due to my SA. Recently I've been wanting to go to college for several reasons (self satisfaction and not being able to find work being a few). So I've been going down the path to try and get into colleg (taking my GED tests next week in fact) but as far as college goes it's really confusing, I don't know anyone that's ever gone to college and it's been 6 years since I've been in high school. It's also pretty intimidating =(
For you folks that are currently or gone thru college, how long did it take you to get into one? What were the steps you had to take etc? If anyone could give me a bit of info I would be eternally grateful.
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, seemed like an appropriate thread to ask though.

Anonymous

please get help. You need alot of support to get through this if your anxiety is this bad. university is a massive step and one that you should at least attempt ..but remember you can always give it a break and defer if its too heavy..and make sure you go to the counselors and the supprot people which evry uni should have.

Dont so this for your parents. If you want to make them happy focus on getting better, and open up to them and let them knoow how you feel, they sound like they are supportive good people and this will probably help take some presure off.

dont be hard on yourself and reach out for support thats the mpst important thing..goodluck!

LilMissTragic

I agree with Hamble. I have done many correspondance courses. Its a great way to get educated and stops the boredom. I've done Environmental Science, Art, Animal Behaviour, Animal Care, Ornithology, The Study of Mammals, Photography...etc, so you can see, there is a wide range of courses. You don't even have to talk to your tutors as you can just email most of them with any problems you might have.

JWH

Seriously don't freak out too much. My dad left school at 16, dabbled in engineering, started up a business in the home basement and continued to run this business successfully until he sold it in the early '90s.

Now, I've finished high school and university, but it wasn't without difficulty. I just find the alternatives of failing/dropping out a whole lot scarier than getting a degree. In my experience university does not offer much of an education - it offers a degree, which obviously some people value, others may understand the benefits of experience. I don't know, but don't let it get you down.

What would you consider to be your strengths? Have you considered an apprenticeship?

Anonymous

Hamble said:
Why not take up part time correspondance study? I'm studying an English degree with the Open Uni It suits me financially and also means I get out of having to do presentations etc etc :)

Can you go into further detail about this? Is there a website I can look at etc?

Sounds good :)