ANIMALS

JWH

Yep, three cats (and one dog, but he smells). Cats are the best.

Here are the two Ragdolls - Brandy (big) and Whisky (small).
sleep.jpg

Yossarian

Cats sure are the best. That's a cool pic. Did you take that yourself? I love watching cats sleep...if that doesn't sound weird :? I just find it very peaceful. They remind me of one of my cats lucy (short for lucifer). I don't know anything about breeds but she had siamese colouring with a tabby pattern. She was sooo beautiful.

I read a book ages ago about cats. My memory is not very good so this could be utter nonsense but... apparently cats have a higher pain threshold than people. Also if dropped from high enough, the legs stick out and the skin between leg and body (not a good description sorry) act as parachutes and slow the descent enough for them to have a good chance of survival.

Yossarian

Hmm, wonder why you'd call him/her floyd? lol

Personally I've found goldfish pointless, hamsters cute but she just bit me all the time, dogs cool but I'm not a dog person. Too much energy for me. Cats are great.

It depends if you form an emotional bond with your pet, what ever it might be. I've always found cats to be loving and playful. They can really cheer you up if you feel down (the cats I've had always seemed to sense when I was sad) and be fun if you're bored. You definately get back what you put in.

Some people say cats are selfish and disloyal. Yet more misconceptions of the quieter types. Basically if you ignore cats or treat them like shit they will leave you for someone better. If you have pets then you take on responsibility for there health and happiness. However if you care about them it's more a pleasure then responsibility.

For sure it's never going to be the same as a relationship with another human being but the bond can still be very strong. While it may not be as deep and fulfilling as with a person, the flipside is it's simpler and less complicated.

Plus for me cats are one of the most beautiful things on earth.

"If a fish is the movement of water embodied, given shape, then cat is a diagram and pattern of subtle air." Doris Lessing.

JWH

Yeah, I took it.

Was she pointed? What colour were her body and eyes? She was short hair right? Sounds pretty.

Yes, I've heard that too. Only the long falls allow them to land on all four paws and prepare themselves, while short falls don't allow for this, so they can't protect against the fall.

Cats are generally just addictive. I don't spend all my time with them, but they're always there lounging being a cool cat when you need them most. They're a reminder to relax above anything else.

LilMissTragic

Its impossible for me to favour one animal above another. All life is sacred to me , I guess. Goldfish aren't boring, I have four, they have an amazing calming effect. Each of them have very different personalities. They are soooo pretty.
Though for play, ya can't beat ferrets. Scatty, mad, thieving little beggers that they are.
Dogs are great for getting ya off your arse and excercising though.
Cats are a comforting pet, I think. My cat Tynx was a lazy little madam though, not to mention thick as two planks.
As for bonds with animals, I have had more loving bonds with more animals than I have people (not in a weird perverse way, i might add). I'd more likely give my life saving an animal than a human. Geez, I'm blabbing on and on today. Can ya tell I'm bored?

Anonymous

I can relate.....the two biggest moments of grief I've felt in my life were when we had to get our pet dogs put down. I've never lost an immediate member of my family though....just grandparents, all when I was young.

In fact, the last time I remember crying was when the 2nd dog had to be put down, 10 years ago now. I still think about her even now. She was a fantastic dog....I still miss her :( .

Anonymous

I need to cheer myself up now...so here's one of my fav jokes...

A bloke goes into the vet with his sick dog.....the vet picks the doggie up and takes a look at him.....a solemn expression crosses his face as he says "i'm sorry, i'm afraid I'll have to put him down". The owner is distressed and asks "why, is he really sick?". The vet replies "no, he's heavy".

JWH

LilMiss, I keep teasing my lazy cats that I'll get them a ferret to get them moving... or at least a Devon Rex!

Yossarian

Yeah it's sad when pets die. I remember when I was little, my Mum had to restrain me in another room when the vet came to put one of our dogs down. Good joke though lol.

As for lucy she looked like the cat on the left : http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/funnyphotos7.htm

Except with blue eyes not red lol and maybe a little whiter. I have no idea what breed they are. We used to have races and play chase, hide and seek etc . As for falling cats I meant like from 7 stories high. I've heard rumors of cats being dropped from planes and surviving! Not an experiment I would reccommend though :evil:

pitkreet

actually, that reminds me of a piece of trivia i once heard....apparently, if you drop a cat from above a certain height (i think it was 7 storeys), it will survive because it will spread it's limbs out and which effectively acts as a parachute

any lower than that height and the parachute effect doesn't have enough time to take effect, but 7 storeys or higher, the cat's purring

so i reckon the aeroplane thing is possibly true...although i'd quite like to know how it managed to fall out of an aeroplane....probably accidently pressed the ejector seat button when it was busy licking it's bum....cat's are notorious for not paying attention when flying a plain

JWH

Pretty cat. You can get some Ragdolls with that patterning, except they're longhair. She must have been bred well to have blue eyes, though I'm not very familiar with breeding it's not often you get blue eyed cats naturally is it?

Can you move to an animal friendly place at all? Having an animal to 'talk' to really helps through the emotional periods.

I remember waking up to find that the whole litter of freshly delivered of six guinea pigs had died. I had a guinea pig funeral and all that. The graves are still in the backyard. I don't really get emotional about death anymore. It's something I think I've detached myself from, I get more pain from seeing something else in immediate pain or agony than the death of something itself.

Yossarian

I doubt she was well bred. The house where we picked her up was full of cat shit everywhere. I dunno if it's rare but I think blue eyed cats are usually deaf, maybe :oops: . I came across ragdolls while I was trying to find out what breed she was and I want one! They look and sound cool. Mind youso do most of them lol.

If I were to get a cat it would have to be an indoor one. Maybe a deaf cat or an elderly one from a local sanctuary. It does say in my tennants agreement I am allowed pets if I get permission but they are being wankers. I mean what trouble is a cat??!!

Moving is not really an option :( This is the fourth place I've had here in 5 years so it's time to settle for a bit. Plus it's cheap, biggish (for a single flat) and in the center of town. That and I've forked out for carpet. I'll just keep nagging and try and convince them it will be good for my health to have a cat. Who knows maybe they'll cave in eventually. Funny that they don't seem to care about the dog next door :?

That sounds horrible about the guinea pigs. Someone stole ours. Fecking people! Yeah I agree it's worse to see a living creature in pain than death but I'm still a soppy git. I've just got something in my eye I tell you!!!

LilMissTragic

Hey Jane, if ever ya need to get your cats off thier backsides ya can always come borrow my ferrets anytime but can i borrow one of your cats when my dogs are naughty..they are both scared of them..lol.