Antidepressants for hh;;

johnk

I m wondering if has anybody tried antidepressants for hh;Personally i sweat a lot under very stressful conditions that have to do with many people.I have visited a psuchologist and he prescribed be an antidepressant called ''zoloft''!She explained me that hh is not the reason but the sumptom for me.iI suffer many times too much at back,under chest and armpits.Till today i believed that first was the sweat that cause my stress but she refused it! and she explained that i have agoraphobia[which persists] and that cause me react like that!Has anyone had the same experience;

Thank you:)

hyp-hi

Stress does have an effect but like you mentioned, often for us the stress is actually because of the sweating, not the other way around. It's worth a try and maybe it will help a bit, but I have found anti-anxiety medication did not really help especially considering the side effects.

JCS

I agree with hyp-hi, the HH is often the stress trigger, not other way around. However, general anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds may be of some general help. You should be careful as sweating can be a side effect of some meds.

Sprawling

Sweating caused me lot's of tress and anxiety in my life. Your psych is obviously old school thinking and doesn't understand about HH. When my hand sweating is under control I'm less anxious. I still have bouts of anxiety outside of the HH and who knows if that was always there being in my mid 50's now.

The zoloft may relieve some anxiety, but good chance it will have zero effect on the HH. Find a new Psych.

johnk

Thank you for all your opinions and i appreciate it too much.,But the thing that makes me want to try it is that except sport activities,in which i sweat more than anybody,in normal life i sweat either at very hot days [i live in Greece] or at stressful situations.For example in the university,once i was dry and when i started talk to the professor and the audience was staring at me i started feel in my back and chest drips of sweat going down and be soo uncofortable.i will try zoloft and i will post here my results.So helpful phorum and so nice to talk with people that really understand you

Conor

Hey. I was also prescribed Zoloft. One of its side effects was to increase sweating. Did no good for me

johnk

where do you sweat;;dIdn't zoloft work for you at all;i m not the person sweating all the time such as people with palmar or foot hyperhidrosis.I also sweat too much but mainly in stressful and embarrasing moments and in not tupical parts of the body[under chest,back, and armpits which i treat with botox!]My psycologist said me that my perspiration at these situatios is due to my panic at these times,and i believe that if i eradicate or diminsh my embarrashment i will not sweat at least when i so******e.

johnk

where do you sweat;;dIdn't zoloft work for you at all;i m not the person sweating all the time such as people with palmar or foot hyperhidrosis.I also sweat too much but mainly in stressful and embarrasing moments and in not tupical parts of the body[under chest,back, and armpits which i treat with botox!]My psycologist said me that my perspiration at these situatios is due to my panic at these times,and i believe that if i eradicate or diminsh my embarrashment i will not sweat at least when i so******e.

Conor

I have compensatory sweating from ets surgery. My back and chest sweat a lot when I am either hot or under stress and I get stressed by it very easily! My doc prescribed me Zoloft and I took for a month or two. The only thing I got was very tired and nauseous for the first week or two. But noticed no decrease in sweating or anxiety related to the sweating.