Anxious around my dog

spaceboy135

K, I'm sry but this is really freaking me out.

The other day, my dog looked at me, and for the first time I felt anxious around him. I started breathing heavily, heart started pounding.. i mean, what the crap??? It's my DOG!!!... sigh... i left the room, like i do when i'm anxious around people, to recollect myself elsewhere. But he followed me. Is it weird to feel like your pet can judge you? I just feel like he is thinking about why I'm with him and not having fun like other people... I usually have to shut the door on him when i enter my room now. But seriouslly... i'm so torn up over this. I mean, my dog. what. the. freaking. crap...

Should I give him away or keep him? Becuase i don't know how much longer i can take him staring at me

Patrick26

Dogs don't judge, how is he making you anxious? just by looking at you and you feeling intimidated? He probably just wants to play or be around you.

hoddesdon

Perhaps it would help if you remember that the dog does not have the intelligence to think about why you are with him and not having fun with other people.

Looking at someone generally means that you find them acceptable, so it means the opposite of what you imagine.

oomindioo

I've had dogs my whole life... he's not looking at you to judge you. Dogs are known to "sense" things. Some can even know when their masters have an illness, some can even pick up on cancer or things like that, there are studies on it. Were you feeling stressed or anything at the time? He may have been picking up on it and concerned for you.

Apotheosis

I don't really know what to say.

Dogs just... dog. Dogs love their owner no matter what, your dog is no different. He's probably picking up that you're worried about something and is worried about you.

Dogs don't judge, they can't judge, there's no doggy judgement instinct in them. It'd be like if you tried to feel like a sunflower, it just wouldn't work.

Hope my inane rambling has helped somewhat, but just remember: PUPPY WUVS U!

MsBuzzkillington

I *hate* when my dog watches me eat. I can kind of relate to feeling really anxious when they stare. Certain situations when my dog is looking at me, it freaks me out. It's like stop staring!

Sometimes I will even make some kind of joking dialogue out of it. Like I am eating ice cream and he is staring at me I'll say "Don't judge me! I deserve it!" Mostly just saying random stuff to make it funny rather than uncomfortable. Usually when I say anything to him he just wags his tail, so it's really not that big of deal.

But they definitely don't judge you. You feed him... he loves you, that's that.

I think that since it's just your dog and you can say anything to him at all and he isn't going to respond or judge you or even understand what you are saying... you should use him as practice at getting over this fear. At least with your dog, force yourself to sit through the anxiety and rationally talk yourself down until the anxiety is at a manageable level. Don't avoid.

Apotheosis

I *hate* when my dog watches me eat. I can kind of relate to feeling really anxious when they stare. Certain situations when my dog is looking at me, it freaks me out. It's like stop staring!

Sometimes I will even make some kind of joking dialogue out of it. Like I am eating ice cream and he is staring at me I'll say "Don't judge me! I deserve it!" Mostly just saying random stuff to make it funny rather than uncomfortable. Usually when I say anything to him he just wags his tail, so it's really not that big of deal.

But they definitely don't judge you. You feed him... he loves you, that's that.

I think that since it's just your dog and you can say anything to him at all and he isn't going to respond or judge you or even understand what you are saying... you should use him as practice at getting over this fear. At least with your dog, force yourself to sit through the anxiety and rationally talk yourself down until the anxiety is at a manageable level. Don't avoid.

Random tidbit:

Dogs watch their owners eat because in a pack the alpha dog eats first then lets the others eat the leftovers. So your dog is looking at you in expectation for his share of the food after you (the alpha) have finished.

MsBuzzkillington

Random tidbit:

Dogs watch their owners eat because in a pack the alpha dog eats first then lets the others eat the leftovers. So your dog is looking at you in expectation for his share of the food after you (the alpha) have finished.

Oh really? That's interesting. That does make sense. He doesn't do it all the time though, only sometimes.

Dogs are looking at you while you eat cuz they think the food is delicious ::p:
he (or she) is looking at you cuz he knows you can offer him some nice food ::p:

But I can relate somehow, It's the same when people stare at me, I don't like it when dogs/cats stare too, but you know, I feel more safe around animals because I know they won't judge me, people CAN.
But still i am afraid of eye contract, feeling anxious when someone is staring at me and observing me

Just go for a walk with your buddy and hug your pet, he just wants to be around you :) a dog is your best friend ;)

Last edited:
I would give it some time and see if it passes. Just wrap your arms around you dog and give him or her a hug. let the dog come in your room and just pet him. take him for walks etc. Keep the close bond with your pet and maybe the feelings will subside on their own. Don't give in to the fear.
It would tear me in two if I got feelings like that with my dog...hes my baby.

LazyHermitCrab

Hahaha :p i mean sorry you feel that way.. and i'm not sure i think animals think more then humans think they do. I don't think they are judgemental like that though. It's not like your dog orders you around

coyote

lots of good advice has been posted here

dogs are incapable of making the same sort of personal judgments that humans do

so obviously, the perception of him judging you is all in your head

makes you wonder how many of the times we perceive humans judging us are all in our head, too

just because a human CAN judge us doesn't mean they are