Any Advice or Tips For Starting New Work?

Hamble

Am finding it hard to even phone up employers or send off applications and wait for them to phone me. Infact, I'm avoiding it. I can't even pschyc (scuse spelling, cant be arsed to get my dictionary :roll: ) myself up to even think about getting an interview. And the thought of starting work in an office....not even one braincell can get around that thought.
Tis really putting me on a downer now.

Has anyone that's been / is going through this have any advice? Does anyone have any success unsuccessful stories they can tell me so I can learn?

cody2468

I find one of the hardest parts of finding a job is going to the job interview, knowing what to say and trying to make the employer think that you are the best person for the job. It is really frustrating when you have interviews and the person says I will ring you either way and they don't. You sit at home waiting for the phone to ring and it never does.

I have had many jobs from retail, cleaning, delivering pamphlets to letter boxes, driving taxis. If you have got social phobia/anxiety don't let it stop you from trying to get a Job. You are capable of doing anything you want to if you really enjoy it. If you want a job bad enough you will find one.

You may be very nervous about your first day on the job, everyone does even normal people thats why most employers give you a 3 month trail as it is a settling in period for you to learn the job etc.

Mici

It's tough looking for work when you have SA, 'cos all the things that you have to do (application forms, speaking to Human Resources people, phoning up strangers with requests, interviews etc.) are all things that tend to trigger SA.
It's a bit easier these days - lots of job adverts have 24/hr answerphones - so you can just leave a message (write down on paper first what you want to say). Some adverts let you download a form from the 'net, and apply online. Find where the ads tend to appear for the type of job you're looking for - most papers have special sections for different sectors on different days, e.g. Guardian has education jobs on Tuesday, social work on Wednesdays.
Probably answering ads is easier than "cold-calling". But if you do cold calls, write down some notes first before you begin, so at least you won't get flustered at the beginning.
The 'net is also good for researching the company or organization you're interested in. Try to get a feel for the place by browsing their website. Try to think of a couple of questions you can ask when you go for interview.
Once you get into a place for an interview or meeting, remember to focus outwards (and don't focus on your internal anxious feelings), take deep breaths to get more relaxed, remember to smile (flash a smile to everyone - receptionist, secretary, person who shows you around) because often they might have a small input regarding candidates.
In the interview smile, maintain eye contact with the interviewers, focus externally, try not to ramble (a short answer is better than rambling ...), if you don't know the answer then be honest about it and say you're willing to learn.
Good luck!

Hamble

Thanks for your advice. I guess I've studied all the tricks for applying for jobs and for interviews, even people with bags of confidence need to learn those, I already do smile at everyone and have no problems with eye contact or writing notes down for me to remember what to say i just dont know how to conker my nerves and doubts. I dont know how to "rev myself up", how to talk myself into going for it so to speak.
Basically I dont know how to clear my head and think rational thoughts. I let my emotions over take me and it stops me from even making the first move. I tend to shut down if that makes sense

Chilling__Echo

ahh already loads of advice from just two people! :D

so far i agree with everything. not sure if someone said it already but it looks good sometimes to call them back after they've recieved your application and just say you're checking up on it (that is if they didn't give you a date that they would call you back). if they aren't keeping in touch with you, bug the hell out of them.

also, when you apply, ask if they are hiring, talk to the manager, etc. be explicit when you fill out the application. explain your weak points (like if you don't have much expeirience), say you're in school, but you are great about customer service, punctual, etc. make them want to hire you.

also, if you're feeling alot of anxiety (which i guess you would as we all would :wink: ) if you don't feel comfortable at the place when you apply, keep looking. there's no point in making yourself go somewhere you can't adapt to. (assuming you could become comfortable somewhere else. i know some people can't stand to work at all, depending on severity of SA) and just remember, no one there has ever met you before and you can mold how they do think of you. it's easier if they don't know you have SA and putting on that *employee with out SA* persona helps out because you'll be thinking that while you're at work, you don't have SA. ( i hope that makes sense, yell if you're interested and it doesn't make sense)

sorry, that was a little long for me but i had alot to say! good luck to you, kudos to you for trying, alot of people can't get that far. hope you find work somewhere, just don't let it all overwhelm you and you're good to go

Hamble

I know, I have to kick my own rear end and stop moaning and get on with it. (I just can't quite reach yet. need to do more yoga maybe)

Dedication

Hamble...I've never had trouble applying for jobs but I have a hell of a time keeping them. Nonetheless I think I can relate.

Thankfully the Internet has made it a lot easier to apply to all kinds of jobs anonymously. I find that once you apply to one or two jobs you kinda get into a rythm and it becomes much easier. On some sites you can even post your résumé and employers will call you. It doesn't even matter if you think you're qualified...just apply.

Some job sites will ask you to "register" with their site and fill in a bunch of information. This can seem overwhelming but just start...do a little bit at a time...leave it for a few hours and return to it later.

You mentioned you want to be "revved up"...but it sounds as though you might need to relax a little more...calm your emotions...take one small step at a time. Calmness of mind brings clarity and focus and motivation.

Also, I think the trick is not to care if you get the job or not...just apply to see what happens and chalk it up to valuable life experience. 8O

GettingThere

The best advice to prepare for an interview - in my humble opinion - is to think to yourself "I have absolutely nothing to lose". This mindset really helps you to relax and approach it in the best possible manner.

Mici

Hamble said:
i just dont know how to conker my nerves and doubts. I dont know how to "rev myself up", how to talk myself into going for it so to speak.
Basically I dont know how to clear my head and think rational thoughts. I let my emotions over take me and it stops me from even making the first move. I tend to shut down if that makes sense
Do you do anything to calm yourself down? Maybe try a relaxation tape, or meditation - anything to calm you down and allow yourself to feel more at ease.
Why not set a goal for yourself, as an incentive to action, something like: Every week I'm going to apply for 5 jobs, or send out 5 CVs. Keep it at a realistic level so that you won't feel a failure if you find you can't keep to it.

Hamble

Hamble said:

I think I've given the impression that I'm some rambling, convulsing, eye, popping, dramatic maniac when it comes to job searching :roll:
Well, I am, but not that badly. :)
When I meant that I get all emotional I meant just worried and paranoid and down. I dont hyperventalate or chew the curtains.
I will however be doing the old clearing my thoughts routine more in the future before an interview etc, it does help to take 5 mins out and "meditate". And you're right, I don't have anything to lose, I'll stop being so paranoid.
Anyway, thanks for all the advice folks!