Anyone feel medication is is a vicious circle?

de-vin

i've tried so many meds and I found some that work, but they all have shitty side effects such as weight gain or sexual problems....and it seems im equally fucked with or without them and no matter which im on....basically I am fucked I soppose....anyway who else is in this vicious circle?

Carstuar

I was on Efexor, but basically it made me numb and tired, not happy or functional.
Also, when I stopped taking them, I was worse off than before I started. <_<

I don't have much faith in meds. It's just a temporary fix, and doesn't even work for everyone.

Quetzalcoatl

I've read that medications given to given to young kids often cause REAL psychological issues later in life, that require different, and stronger meds to take effect. This causes dependence and even tolerance to the shit they are taking, and over time stronger and stronger doeses must be applied. Yes, it is a vicious cycle.

My friends sister was diagnosed with "A.D.D." when she was a kid, and was taking meds for it her whole life, and now she has schizophrenia which was aggrivated by all of the meds she was taking her whole life. Now her disorder isnt even treatable with meds that have been shown to be effective for the condition. The situation worsens.

I take like 4 different kinds of pills in the morning. Only two of them actually work. They other ones just seem to make me even shakier than I already am. I don't feel or notice too many other side effects though.

SilentType

Banned
I've been through so many medications... first the SSRIs and SNRIs, then some beta blockers, a bunch of different sleeping medications, and all the major benzodiazepines... I feel like such a different person after all the meds, which I've taken over the course of the last two years. I can't decide whether I'm better or worse off after the whole mess. Now I just take Klonopin and Seroquel to get to sleep, but I think I'm gonna need something else for insomnia soon because thats not working like it used to...

I don't really see a vicious circle with anything except the benzos. I actually quit cold turkey after receiving a script of ativan to try instead. Boy was that a mistake, because the ativan did absolutely nothing for me. So little I stopped taking it and boy was that a horrible month. I didnt want to call the doctor for my klonopin back because she'd dub me a pill fiend. Nope. Just a medicinal ganja extraordinaire.

Peace

dpr

I've been on Imipramine, Paxil, Zoloft, Ativan, Clonazepam, Effexor, I think that's all of them, but I could be forgetting a few.

Anyway, none of them ever did shit except make me tired and make me lose interest in sex and make me get drunk faster.

I was on each of them for long periods of time (some of them for years).

I hate meds and have started CBT and it has helped me more than meds ever did.

streetsk8er794

I take 1 mg klonopin and 50 mg vyvanse at 8 am, and another 1 mg klonopin and 50 mg vyvanse at 2 pm. This is the BEST med combo I've ever been on. And they are helping. Yeh, the 1st 2 weeks klonopin worked better than it did now, but its now at a plateau. It helps... ALOT. I have an OCD type social anxiety, so while i used to talk to people, Id have all these phrases going through my mind about how to listen, or how to be liked; therefore, could not concentrate on what the person was saying at all. The klonopin virtually stopped those phrases. Does klonopin make me more confident? No. But its helping me to build confidence. Also, the vyvanse and klonopin together cancel out most of eachothers side effects. The only side effects I have from the klonopin is that it takes me literally 3 hours to orgasm; which maybe isnt a bad thing :). But the vyvanse does give me dry mouth and loss of appetite. But these side effects are so incredibly minor to most meds I've taken. I do HATE SSRI's though. They make me feel like a zombie, and drain all creativity out of me.

BTW: I'm in a HORRIBLE situation, and I still feel pretty good on this med combo. I just got out of jail, Im on house arrest for 3 more months......
and oh yeh, almost forgot..

ONE OF THE STIPULATIONS OF MY PROBATION IS THAT I HAVE TO SPEAK AT SCHOOLS FOR AN HOUR (EVERY 3 MONTHS FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS) ABOUT HOW DRINKING AND DRIVING HAS AFFECTED MY LIFE.

My 1st speech is in tomorrow; and hell yeh Im pretty nervous, but without my meds, Id be crying right now.

So.... In conclusion... yes, sometimes meds can be a vicious cycle; trust me, I've been on em' all, and I felt the EXACT same way. But, once you find the right med combo, and get a good psychologist to talk to, your good.

PEACE!

sosantney

I had just posted about a medication issue. My problem is that I have to know that a medication has side effects that I don't like in order to take them, because I spend to much time obsessing about the side effects before they ever would happen anyway. So I end up just not taking them. Also I get scared that I don't know how to manage if I don't have something to obsess about. I have been sleeping better but I'm trying to get over the idea that I have to have something specific to think about in order to fall asleep in the first place.