anyone find themselves lying?

ashley90

Does anyone else here find themselves lying to people?
I don't really know how to explain it but like if someone was saying "omg you have to try this its so great" and even though you already tried it and don't like it or whatever you'd still say "omg ill have to try that!" and pretend you want to hear more about it..
i think i do this to keep a conversation going. but its weird cause i hardly notice i'm doing it then i'm like.. why did i just say that.
anyone know what i'm talking about?

bony666

Does anyone else here find themselves lying to people?
I don't really know how to explain it but like if someone was saying "omg you have to try this its so great" and even though you already tried it and don't like it or whatever you'd still say "omg ill have to try that!" and pretend you want to hear more about it..
i think i do this to keep a conversation going. but its weird cause i hardly notice i'm doing it then i'm like.. why did i just say that.
anyone know what i'm talking about?

yes, all the time for me

Luke1993

yes i tell the odd lie about my life to make it more interesting, but I don't lie in any way to hurt anyone.

mrb

hmmm acually no im not a liar , iv never felt the need to lie to impress .... but i think we all pretend were interested in a conversation just to be a little social , i think evreyone does that to some extent ...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
No, I don't want to give a false image. If I'm not interested in something, i will say it, no matter if It makes me look like a jerk or a weirdo. I do admit I used to lie a bit when I was younger, but it was more to avoid critiques and laughter than to impress anyone. People would laugh at me if I didn't answer the way they wanted. I was sick of that, so I would lie sometimes. I don't do that anymore because I find it pointless, and I don't want to act like something I'm not.

dooby-duck

I don't really lie but I do bend the truth a little to avoid looking weird. Like when someone asks if I'm going out at the weekend and stuff I'll say something like I don't know, or that I might. In reality I usually have no intention of going anywhere.

lithium

I don't really lie but I do bend the truth a little to avoid looking weird. Like when someone asks if I'm going out at the weekend and stuff I'll say something like I don't know, or that I might. In reality I usually have no intention of going anywhere.

Yeah, same here. People ask me what I'm doing today or tomorrow or even for spring break, and I'll just say I might be seeing a friend or something but I usually have literally nothing to do. =/

Krista

I do the same, not anymore but it's more in regards to impressing people. I would say I was doing things so I wouldn't feel like such a loser that I really wasn't, now it's more I could care less how you feel about me. It is what it is.

Pookah

It is considered polite I guess to feign interest in what other people have to say regardless of how tedious that is. Part of my SA is that I am afraid I am making it tedious for other people by speaking to them since I sometimes find them to be so.

jdiane

I do that sometimes... For instance, if a coworker asks if i'm going to pass by Wendy's for lunch if I would stop and get them a frosty... I say sure even though I wasn't really going to be going that way... I think we focus too much on pleasing everyone else...that's my weakness. I try to please everyone, except myself. I've been told that because i'm so sweet and quiet that it makes me an easy target for being stepped on too. I really have to work on that.

ashley90

I do that sometimes... For instance, if a coworker asks if i'm going to pass by Wendy's for lunch if I would stop and get them a frosty... I say sure even though I wasn't really going to be going that way... I think we focus too much on pleasing everyone else...that's my weakness. I try to please everyone, except myself. I've been told that because i'm so sweet and quiet that it makes me an easy target for being stepped on too. I really have to work on that.

yup i think your right.
i'm always trying to please people.
how do you plan to work on it?

Emily_G

I would do that too.

206Raider

I used to lie about little things like that too. Now I don't really care, I say whatever I want but it's not like I talk a lot and like Krista said, I really don't care waht anyone thinks about me, I'm not going to let someones opinion dictate how I should act. I just realized acting fakey wasn't for me. I'm picky how I choose my friends anyway now, if I don't trust/like you, then I don't need you.

lunarla

I used to do that when I was younger. I was the best kid liar you ever did hear. But aren't all kids like that? Nowadays, I pride myself on, and hope that I'm a fairly sincere and honest person. Lying really gets you nowhere and hampers good character.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I think a lot of people lie in conversation, especially to people they don't know very well. It's basically the only way I can really try to be "friends" with people. Sometimes I will pretend to be different than who I really am, for the sake of my own security. It's hard, but being myself is harder.
Sometimes I even avoid meeting people by saying I'm sick or I have to do something else... Which is bad, I know.

iamthenra

No, I seriously can't lie... My nose grows too long if I do...
icon_204.gif

ashley90

I used to lie about little things like that too. Now I don't really care, I say whatever I want but it's not like I talk a lot and like Krista said, I really don't care waht anyone thinks about me, I'm not going to let someones opinion dictate how I should act. I just realized acting fakey wasn't for me. I'm picky how I choose my friends anyway now, if I don't trust/like you, then I don't need you.

i don't get how you don't care what people think?
that's completely what my anxiety is. caring too much about what people think.
and i used to not care which is why its so frustrating.
and good for you!
but what is your anxiety about then?

emmasma

That just sounds like being polite to me. As long as your not elaborating on long false stories. It is normal.

206Raider

i don't get how you don't care what people think?
that's completely what my anxiety is. caring too much about what people think.
and i used to not care which is why its so frustrating.
and good for you!
but what is your anxiety about then?

Well it's hard to explain. I'm not okay cause I definitly have a lot of anxiety but I do what I want, and go where I want, dress how I want but when I HAVE to be social, then I feel dumb and slow becuase I think too much and too fast and then I never know what to say and I start worrying that I'm not doing enough. I want to completely cut loose and conversate about whatever but I do not know how to do that anymore but I'm more mad at myself becuase I want to. Just becuase I go to these places does not mean I don't get anxious about it, I just force myself to do it anyway. But I feel like I had an epiphany of sorts a few days ago and I feel like I have nothing to lose anymore.