Anyone here good with remembering names?

Aussie_Lad

When it comes to remembering names there are certain techniques which people use to remember the name, but when meeting someone for the first time you not only have to remember their name, but associate their name with their face, all the while trying to have somewhat of a decent conversation with them. Then next time you see them, and they address you by name, it is hard to work out how to respond, particularly a female as "mate" usually doesn't work so well.

Anyone here actually good with names? Any recommendations?

Confuseddd

Im not too sure...
BUT maybe it could be of some help?
Try saying the persons name out loud. Like in conversation,
"Ahh great , carol" ....... "Carol , you are a funny one!"
You get the point lol

When I teach a new class, I like to use peoples names to help establish a connection. I make a name map of where they sit. Then I make an effort to use their names. I can usually remember 15-17 names after 3 classes or so. The key for me is seeing the name written, I'm no good at names, otherwise.

Aussie_Lad

I know about the using someones name multiple times thing, but it just doesn't seem to work out for me. :confused:

There is also the one about relating it to someone else you know with the same name. Doesn't help when it is a name you are unfamiliar with though.

I think writing someones name down is good. Maybe I will have to make more use of this.

I know about the using someones name multiple times thing, but it just doesn't seem to work out for me. :confused:

There is also the one about relating it to someone else you know with the same name. Doesn't help when it is a name you are unfamiliar with though.

I think writing someones name down is good. Maybe I will have to make more use of this.

Unless you're ambidextrous, you can try writing it with your off hand. Link it to a previous name... say if you know a George... link the two Georges in your mind. Some people can use all the senses to remember something.

Some books recommend imagining ridiculous scenarios. Like you can imagine the previously mentioned George as "the guy in question" riding a shark (Jaws) and holding a G in each hand. (G Jaw G)... I'm just making that one up, you can probably come up with better. Even if you don't actually remember it that way, the mere act of processing an information will keep it in the mind longer. Oh... I just thought of another way to remember the aforementioned George (Osch gosh begosh... can't recall how it's spelled)

Edit: Oh.. didn't respond to the title of the post. I'm generally good at remembering names and faces. I've difficulty forgetting even the ones that I'd like forgotten.

Last edited: