Are "male losers" doomed forever?

Bronson99

Also Reddit blows. Often very judge people I know I'm sorry. Tried to talk about social anxiety experiences among women and had some incredibly judgmental bitter folks come in and wreck it all. Not all hope is lost though and no you aren't doomed forever, you will find people that will understand your situation and as long as you have the desire to focus on your own life and improve you're in a good position.

The deal is I'm not good at many (if not most) things, I just have small islands of ability here and there.. there is therefore not a great deal of room for me to improve. Also, it's highly unlikely that I will have financial security or much ambition.

The best I could do is become the "best version of myself," but myself is a person who is socially awkward and not good at many things. Is it worth the effort to be my "best self" if I already know my "best possible self" is still way below par? The answer to that so far is "no," because I'm a realist and I'm aware I will not get back what I put in.. there is no audience for a lemon. I don't need a crystal ball to reach this conclusion.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
The deal is I'm not good at many (if not most) things, I just have small islands of ability here and there.. there is therefore not a great deal of room for me to improve. Also, it's highly unlikely that I will have financial security or much ambition.

The best I could do is become the "best version of myself," but myself is a person who is socially awkward and not good at many things. Is it worth the effort to be my "best self" if I already know my "best possible self" is still way below par? The answer to that so far is "no," because I'm a realist and I'm aware I will not get back what I put in.. there is no audience for a lemon. I don't need a crystal ball to reach this conclusion.

Not sure it's of any use for me to say it, but I think it's a mistake to think that you have to become "your best possible self" for the audience. Nobody cares about your better self. People, I mean the mainstream crowd, will care that you make money and climb the social ladder. Which has nothing to do with your better self. What could you do for you to be proud of yourself?

And how can there be no room for you to improve if you're not very good at anything? Isn't it A LOT of room to improve?

Bronson99

Not sure it's of any use for me to say it, but I think it's a mistake to think that you have to become "your best possible self" for the audience. Nobody cares about your better self. People, I mean the mainstream crowd, will care that you make money and climb the social ladder. Which has nothing to do with your better self. What could you do for you to be proud of yourself?

And how can there be no room for you to improve if you're not very good at anything? Isn't it A LOT of room to improve?

Are you suggesting that people who aren't good at anything don't exist? Someone else recently in another forum told me this once... they claimed they never knew anyone who didn't have a very clear ability in one or more areas.. it did not make me feel better.. it made me feel worse, the implication being that I might be some kind of "1 in a million" freak.

Shy, socially awkward, not good at school, not athletic, not even empathetic (which is something everyone is capable of, but I have no "pull".. no care or concern for other people beyond simple politeness, basically.)

It's possible I may be sub-consciously trying to prevent myself from improving because I just don't like myself... a kind of "since I don't think I'm good at anything, I'll define myself by going the other direction": indeed, one needs an identity, right? Maybe that's the subconscious aspect. I don't lead a healthy life and my sleep cycle is permanently off or in-flux.

Pacific_Loner

Are you suggesting that people who aren't good at anything don't exist? Someone else recently in another forum told me this once... they claimed they never knew anyone who didn't have a very clear ability in one or more areas.. it did not make me feel better.. it made me feel worse, the implication being that I might be some kind of "1 in a million" freak.

Not sure what I said that makes you think I meant that, but no, I don't think you need to be good at something to exist. I don't think everyone has a clear ability in one or more areas (I don't know anyone who does). In fact I think most of us are born mediocre and need to work hard to become good (or even average) at something.

It's possible I may be sub-consciously trying to prevent myself from improving because I just don't like myself... a kind of "since I don't think I'm good at anything, I'll define myself by going the other direction": indeed, one needs an identity, right? Maybe that's the subconscious aspect. I don't lead a healthy life and my sleep cycle is permanently off or in-flux.

I indeed think you are sabotaging yourself.

S_Spartan

Oh heck! :giggle:

Wow, just when someone thinks they got "The Life" and it all figured out. Karma's a biotch, man!

Although in this case, I'm sure that Sheen will keep right on partying and having sex. And I'm sure that there are many men and women who would gladly have sex with him even with the AIDS.

Personally I would be happy to never see his face again. Really I'm tired of all hedonistic celebrities. I can't care anymore about how "troubled" they are with their fortune and fame.

MollyBeGood

Although in this case, I'm sure that Sheen will keep right on partying and having sex. And I'm sure that there are many men and women who would gladly have sex with him even with the AIDS.

Personally I would be happy to never see his face again. Really I'm tired of all hedonistic celebrities. I can't care anymore about how "troubled" they are with their fortune and fame.

Do you remember the chocolate candy called AIDS to loose weight back in the 80's? Pretty sure they either went under or did some re-branding lol

Oh, come on we never get tired of hearing about the Stars. They are our role models and who doesn't want to be rich and famous AIDS and all? :kickingmyself:

S_Spartan

Do you remember the chocolate candy called AIDS to loose weight back in the 80's? Pretty sure they either went under or did some re-branding lol

Oh, come on we never get tired of hearing about the Stars. They are our role models and who doesn't want to be rich and famous AIDS and all? :kickingmyself:

YES! I do remember that candy! I even remember when the AIDS scare hit and thinking what an unfortunate brand name. :eek:

Drug addled, hedonistic celebrities were cute back in the 70s-00s but now, with the world like it is, they just seem annoying. At least to me. The meme seems like it's played out...

MollyBeGood

Yeah I agree. It's a good thing for people to see though in some ways. It shows you that getting everything you want in life (like this thread even "If I have a woman I will be happy...") doesn't mean that you won't have real problems. Real serious ones. I think they (hedonist celebs) actually do people good to see that side of things for what it's worth.

S_Spartan

Yeah I agree. It's a good thing for people to see though in some ways. It shows you that getting everything you want in life (like this thread even "If I have a woman I will be happy...") doesn't mean that you won't have real problems. Real serious ones. I think they (hedonist celebs) actually do people good to see that side of things for what it's worth.

Well that's assuming most people are lucid enough to see the situation in a philosophical way.

I fear that most just use the stories as a break from their repetitive lives. And for something to talk about.

I guess in that sense Sheen and company are doing society a favor! :idontknow:

S_Spartan

Not sure what I said that makes you think I meant that, but no, I don't think you need to be good at something to exist. I don't think everyone has a clear ability in one or more areas (I don't know anyone who does). In fact I think most of us are born mediocre and need to work hard to become good (or even average) at something.

It is societal conditioning that defines who/what is mediocre and who/what is good.

All that nature cares about is that an individual survives and procreates(and it really doesn't care that much about that). Nature could care less if a person is a master cello player or a hunter with a spear and a loin cloth.

I really doubt that a deer stands in the woods and thinks "my life is going nowhere, I need to read some self improvement books or attend a seminar to be the best deer I can be."

The deer just "is".

The idea of being "more" is a purely human invention. Usually based on one's usefulness to society.

This is because once humans are not that concerned with where our next meal is coming from we get really restless looking for meaning.

S_Spartan

Ha yeah!

Is it wrong of me to want Mark Zuckerberg to get AIDS next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfFs0o6pCxc

That brings back memories. What would the equivalent to that be these days? A product named "Isis"?:bigsmile:

Even if Zuckerberg did contract AIDS I doubt we would hear about it because the press is in love with the lad. He is supposed to be THE God-like figurehead to the millennial generation.

Every generation has one. Gen X was Bill Gates, Steve Jobs. The boomers had Warren Buffet, Lee Iococca.

MollyBeGood

That brings back memories. What would the equivalent to that be these days? A product named "Isis"?:bigsmile:

Even if Zuckerberg did contract AIDS I doubt we would hear about it because the press is in love with the lad. He is supposed to be THE God-like figurehead to the millennial generation.

Every generation has one. Gen X was Bill Gates, Steve Jobs. The boomers had Warren Buffet, Lee Iococca.

Why are they always male?

Is Hillary next for women? Wow I am so excited to be alive. So many great people out there to admire!

The real people to admire we will never hear about because they do not want money, glory or fame. They do great things and want nothing in return.

Pacific_Loner

It is societal conditioning that defines who/what is mediocre and who/what is good.

All that nature cares about is that an individual survives and procreates(and it really doesn't care that much about that). Nature could care less if a person is a master cello player or a hunter with a spear and a loin cloth.

I really doubt that a deer stands in the woods and thinks "my life is going nowhere, I need to read some self improvement books or attend a seminar to be the best deer I can be."

The deer just "is".

The idea of being "more" is a purely human invention. Usually based on one's usefulness to society.

This is because once humans are not that concerned with where our next meal is coming from we get really restless looking for meaning.

Yeah I see your point but your deer still has to be a good runner to survive against predators, etc. Humans have to become good at something to be able to get a job. If we wouldn't live in this system we built and we were still living in the woods, we would still need to be good at hunting.

Anyway I wasn't trying to be philosophical. If you just want to "be", good for you, but good luck. I reckon nothing of what we do matters much in the end, but we only have one life (until proven otherwise) and there is no point in living a miserable one on purpose.

But I think maybe we're a bit off topic? :thinking:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

So that's it, then? It's either evolution (easily defined as whether you pass on you genes by raising offspring who manage to reproduce) or "societal conditioning" (rather a vague term)? There is no point where you can see with your own eyes that you've become good at something? No free will? Everything pre-decided and leaves you powerless?

You can't realize that you've become an amazing chef, or multilingual, or write stories than many people like to read? You can't figure out that you're a renowned artist or brilliant programmer or that you make the best chairs that anyone has ever landed their buttocks on?

Funny, that. :thinking:

S_Spartan

Yeah I see your point but your deer still has to be a good runner to survive against predators, etc. Humans have to become good at something to be able to get a job. If we wouldn't live in this system we built and we were still living in the woods, we would still need to be good at hunting.

Yes, this is why I said that nature cares about an individual's ability to survive but not much else. As far as nature is concerned survival=success. It's human beings that add more to the definition of success because the vast majority in the developed world are already guaranteed survival.
So we have warped the survival instinct into something much more complex that involves much education and technology and topped it off with a large helping of status seeking.
My main point here is that not everyone can fit neatly into this paradigm that we are forced to live within and it cause some people much pain.

Anyway I wasn't trying to be philosophical. If you just want to "be", good for you, but good luck. I reckon nothing of what we do matters much in the end, but we only have one life (until proven otherwise) and there is no point in living a miserable one on purpose

It's interesting that you assume that a person who decides to just "be" will automatically be miserable. You can just "be" within the current paradigm. Sure, you may not have a lot of stuff but you probably won't need all that stuff anyway.
Just being doesn't have to mean sitting around and doing nothing but rather starting from a different point. It's a perspective.