Are there any other moms here?

Foxglove

I would be interested to hear from other SP sufferers who also happen to be mothers. My son is 10, and I often feel guilty that I can't offer him the kind of social opportunities that he should have.

Foxglove

Yeah, I know. I feel like I just make everyone else's lives miserable. Often I have thought I should disappear, just to put everyone else out of their misery. My husband probably wouldn't give a damn, but I think my son would be traumatized if I checked out. It's a real dilemma.

thinker

Foxglove,

Be sure, your son needs you, needs you close, no matter what issues you have.

By the way, i also have often felt that in certain situations, it would just be better for everybody if i dissappear. :roll:

mienaino

Foxglove said:
I would be interested to hear from other SP sufferers who also happen to be mothers. My son is 10, and I often feel guilty that I can't offer him the kind of social opportunities that he should have.

I am neither a parent nor a female, but I can tell you something that seems to me common sense. You are in the position to be a better mother than most 'ordinary' people. You probably spend time with your son. Your son has probably had a mother, growing up. He probably didn't have to sit in a daycare from 8am to 6pm until he was of age to go to school all day, and if he went to daycare, he probably stood over by the bookshelf and pointed at your photograph on the stand (if there was one) saying "mommy" while the others crashed plastic trucks into eachother, since they didn't really know the difference between the preschool teacher and their own mothers. He is probably more intelligent and more sensitive and better grounded than he would be if you were never there. What you're worried about is irrelevant in comparison. I would rather live with social anxiety my whole life than have had an 'ordinary' mother.

Foxglove

Thank you Mienaino for your encouraging answer. I never considered that there may be positive aspects. You are right, I am there for my son. He doesn't have to come home to an empty house. I am like one of those moms from the 1950s who bakes cookies and reads stories to my child. I take my son out into the woods and fields to discover nature, since it is there that I feel comfortable and unafraid. My son is able to observe wildlife and catch snakes, frogs, lizards, toads, etc. Most kids don't get that kind of experience. So thank you for letting me know that just because I'm not a social butterfly, it doesn't mean that I can't be a good mother.

Greetings from Foxglove

maggie

mienaino said:
Foxglove said:

I am neither a parent nor a female, but I can tell you something that seems to me common sense. You are in the position to be a better mother than most 'ordinary' people. You probably spend time with your son. Your son has probably had a mother, growing up. He probably didn't have to sit in a daycare from 8am to 6pm until he was of age to go to school all day, and if he went to daycare, he probably stood over by the bookshelf and pointed at your photograph on the stand (if there was one) saying "mommy" while the others crashed plastic trucks into eachother, since they didn't really know the difference between the preschool teacher and their own mothers. He is probably more intelligent and more sensitive and better grounded than he would be if you were never there. What you're worried about is irrelevant in comparison. I would rather live with social anxiety my whole life than have had an 'ordinary' mother.
i love your post mienaino :!: