at a loose end

sparkarella

Hi there, have just joined this site. Reason for doing so is that my anxiety over social situations i.e meals with friends/family, speaking to work collegues and being the centre of attention is getting on top of me and now i'm anxious even when i am alone. Seems to be spiralling and not sure the best way to stop it. I have been on seroxat and that helped a lot but i gradually came off it as i feel it was just a quick fix which only masked the problem. Now i do breathing exercises yoga etc and i'm drinking so much chamomile tea its coming out of my ears! This helps but only a little.I guess i'm getting down about constantly feeling anxious when in social situations, butterflies,blushing,feelings of immense anxiety.Gp has put me forward for a stress management group with 10 people per group...highly inappropriate i think! Any advice would be really welcome and am also wondering if medication is the only way to be the real me?

Anonymous

Hi Sparkarella...

Sounds as if you are going through a tough time. Try to keep telling yourself that it will pass and it will get better for you.

It does sound like a large group your GP has advised you to attend-- that would be stress inducing in itself (another one of those 'catch 22' situations) but one thing that should help to make you more comfortable is knowing that everyone attending will be there for the same reason that you are, so you shouldn't feel that anyone is judging you or 'sizing you up'. Just try doing your breathing exercises and telling yourself that you CAN accomplish it. Think of it a as a cure for your stress rather than meeting new people, etc. I know this is all very difficult, but keep trying, and don't give up, otherwise, you'll get more stressed out for allowing yourself to give up.

I hope the group helps you, but you may want to get in touch with your GP and explain to them exactly how you are feeling, that you are planning on attending the group and ask them if there is anyway you could take the edge off and help you to deal/cope with things in the meantime.

Best of luck & best wishes to you!

Anonymous

You're very welcome for the response Sparkarella.

I wanted to give you a hug a warm welcome to the group, but I felt it wasn't it my place being just a 'guest'... but the heck with it not being in my place! BIG WELCOME & BIG HUG! ((((((((SPARKARELLA)))))))) :)

I really feel for you because I can relate to where you are right now, but there IS a light at the end of the tunnel, I promise! Just keep telling your self that, especially at those times when you feel like you are losing your mind, just stay in control and don't let the stress win!

I know this sounds incredibly juvenile, but when I have to do something fearful (and at times, for me, that can just be picking up a few things at the store :cry: ) I will hold something in my hand & focus on it. For me, what really seems to work well is holding my house key tight in my hand. The key is reassurance & a constant reminder that I am not trapped in a fearful situation for eternity & that there is a place where I can go afterwards where I will feel & BE safe from all the stress, panic, and terrorizing thoughts.

I will be cheering for you Sparkarella! And I will be wishing you the same good luck and wishes that I did in my first post!
Hang in there, you will overcome & succeed! :wink: :)

LilMissTragic

Tayla, if your using the mini messenger then you have to know that its very tempermental and doesn't want to work most of the time.

sparkarella

I loved my welcome hugs and smiles! It does make a big difference knowing that somebody, who can relate to me, is cheering me on...Hoorah! Today i'm off work so feeling nice and relaxed but know that when i go to work tomorrow i will be on edge untill i finish for the day. I've read about beta blockers and they sound like they might do the trick, get rid of physical symptoms of anxiety and take the edge off a bit. Not sure though as i'm reluctant to go back to taking medication as have had bad experiences with seroxat...took ages to come off it with awful withdrawal symptoms so am a bit hesitant. Though i'm told that beta blockers are quite gentle in terms of side effects and are non addictive etc....and i like the idea of having a relaxed and socially happy existence... I also like your house key idea guest, i would do the same but my safe place is my bed and i cant take that with me to the supermarket! I will keep your idea in my head though and tell myself that i will soon be back at home. Big hugs back and hope tomorrow is happy and good for all x