Autism

gustavofring

Is it possible that symptoms of autism overlap a lot with SA and AVP?

The difficulty in communicating and relating to peers especially seems to have a lot in common with SA. Also a lack of playfulness, difficulty loosening up, inability to experience joy in communication and a certain forcedness when it comes to dealing with people I don't have much in common with. Also a lot of trouble learning new things and adapting to a new environment.

I don't think I am full blown autistic, but maybe to a certain degree I am. I do have imagination.

knr9311

I do believe that it's possible. One of my counselors asked my mom if I was ever diagnosed with autism.

laure15

I think so too. I think I am autistic to a certain degree. I can be playful but my playfulness comes out all wrong and awkward. What is playful to me might not be playful to other people.

Lonelykitsune

I was watching the undateables (I know) and there was a lad on with autism. It seems a lot more serious than SA. He really didn't understand how people worked at all and had to rehearse conversation skills with his mum before going out.

gustavofring

Well I scored 23, which is slightly above average.

But I don't know about these tests. It's not like I am always the same, and it depends a lot on situation, mood, people, etc.

Aspergers, I might have that. Especially the aloofness towards certain people and inability to express joy at their happiness. When everyone is jumping up and down and being hyper and playful I could just shoot myself right there and then. But again, this is only with certain people.

mikebird

Banned
accused of autism by phone or knowledge of interviews

no idea who said this or when... I saw a not on someone's scribbly personal notes while talking at JobCentre. He went away to fetch something from a printer for me. I noticed autism and grabbed the noted to have a look at. Not this bloke who came up with the term in my presence - maybe while on the phone - listening and scribbling - he didn't say much to the speaker at the time. I acknowledge any suggestion that my troubles might be linked to this. I have a lot to discover about myself. He passed the phone to me - this gives a real reason to speak to a stranger, when referred. I avoid a lot of phone calls.

I will go and meet this person on the phone in 2 weeks

I expect any normal, simple tunnel-vision person to label me with autism - so simple. Someone who knows the sun, not what the moon is, or any other planets, galaxies or stars. Person who can't see past their own nose.

From my talking tendencies, who goes off-topic. Just don't let him work. List all my medical conditions. Just like an interview scenario - when I don't answer their questions - I want to talk all about me, not hiding anything, but if I did, the person wouldn't have a clue about it. No point saying. Starting with 'are you sick?' It's not a yes or no, if I can't mention any more details

Srijita52

I think it does to a degree. I was misdiagnosed with autism but later my counsellor decided I was just avoident.

I got 37, but i don't believe i have aspergers (but i seem to have many aspects of it), and i certainly haven't got high-functioning autism (but again i have a few things in common). Certainly i'm somewhere in the "autism spectrum" though.

And as an adult, i'm a lot better than as a kid, due to learning more about life, having broader interests, gradually gaining ground with people, etc.

I have SA (bordering on SP), AvPD. I believe my autism-like-disorder was the first step (in childhood) into failing to get along with people ... combining with a few other issues (eg shyness) which led to SA/SP ... and then AvPD not too long after that.

madmike

Well autism is considered to be on a spectrum, right? So it's not as though you are either autistic or not. So I can definitely see where you're coming from, I've often wondered the same thing myself. Maybe people with SA (or at least some of them) are on the borderline of autism and therefore have difficulties with things like communicating with others, loosening up as you say, etc.

I don't really know myself though, sometimes I think it might just be a case of me not getting enough social interaction when I was younger, other times I think it's innate.... definitely an interesting question though...