Avoidant Personality Disorder

Anonymous

I thought I has Social Phobia but now i really think i have Avoidant Personality Disorder. Here's a link about it: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000940.htm
I was looking at abnormal psychology online and i found this and was shocked-this described me! i thought i was just doomed to be alone and shy forever. i need to tell someone. my mom probably won't believe. but still...has anyone heard of it??

Anonymous

Lilly said:
I thought I has Social Phobia but now i really think i have Avoidant Personality Disorder. Here's a link about it: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000940.htm
I was looking at abnormal psychology online and i found this and was shocked-this described me! i thought i was just doomed to be alone and shy forever. i need to tell someone. my mom probably won't believe. but still...has anyone heard of it??
How do you know you have avoidant personality disorder and not social anxiety? :? They are SO similar!!! :eek: 8O I think the main difference is the fear of rejection? I have never heard of it before...!

Orlando

Hiya!

I have been diagnosed with social phobia with Avoidant Personality Disorder. Personality disorders just mean that the disorder is kinda part of your identity or character. Usually, people with personality disorders had the disorder (i.e., shyness) for a long time. I've had it since I was a child so I guess it is a part of me. Well, that's the difference any way. (Atleast that's how they explained to me!)

Good luck!
Well,

ChAiNz

I think i also have both disorders, i was just wondering if Avoidant personality disorder can be overcome

anxiousD

Thanks for posting that link Lilly. Ive heard of it, I live it. I live with a roommate out of necessity, but if I lived on my own, like I prefer, I could drop dead tonight and no one would know any better. SP & APD are closely linked. They feed off of each other. I fear social situations, so im alone all the time. I avoid going out because of my social phobia. Vicious cycle.

Anonymous

I only just found out about this disorder I too was shocked when I read it because it is very much me. I think I also have social phobia just learning about these things explains a lot about me. I have a very strong fear of rejection I think I have had it all my life. People really should only have children if they want them and can give them the time and love children need other wise it really messes your head up later.

moriarty10

Goodness - these posts are relating to me. I too have a fear of rejection. Funny that I cannot initiate anything anyway. I tried to kill myself o few nights ago because of what I perceived to be a rejection (a girl of course is involved). A policeman took me to hospital before I could anything.

The sad thing is - that the girl won't even know what I was going to do. It was difficult enough to get to know her and impossible to tell her how I feelabout her. but I think suicide attempts will probably jettison the relationship (of sorts) forever.

renegade

I think APV is only a consequence of SP and not an disorder by its self.

I can't percive Avoidant Personality disorder all by itself, but asociated with other disorders.

This shit comes inevitably with SA/SP and if we are able to get rid of those, we can easily overcome this too. :wink:

moriarty10

These replies have been kind.

I am doind simple things like smile at people.

8O 8O 8O 8O
I saw a classmate at college yesterday who I find attractive. Previously I would have avoided speaking to her. I have hardly spoken to the girl. Anyway, I was about to avoid her but at the last moment I went up and said 'hello.' And she responded kindly. We had a chat for a few moments. And I left feeling great and I couldn't stop smiling.
:D :D :D :D

renegade

When my father read about that disorder, AVP, he could understand about me having it.... :p Now this disorder became so severe that is I think my personality :x

I'm still working on trying to explain to him about SP :evil: The best word I could find was very very ashamed of people to the point that psyhic symptoms of fear appear.

But how can u explain someone a feeling that he didn't experienced. It's like trying to explain someone love to a guy who didn't loved in his life or so...

SongOfSongs

beep() said:
I think the main difference is the fear of rejection?

Fear of rejection is also the basis of social anxiety. I don't completely understand the difference. As far as I can gather, social anxiety is generally used to describe the fear of being perceived as unsatisfactory or just "awkward" in social situations, therefore it is a fear of rejection. AvPD is a greater fear of being seen as a worthless or "unattractive" (in the fuller, non-sexual and purely social definition): it is a fear that no one will ever be willing to form a meaningful interpersonal bond with them, or that if someone does, they will break it because the AvPD sufferer is an unworthy person. In my opinion, AvPD and Social Anxiety are the same thing. I wouldn't even describe it as two sides of the same coin, because I believe the first fear (that of being judged as unsatisfactory in what are often trivial actions and social situations) is a manifestation of the greater, second fear (that of being judged as worthless). But what do I know? I'm just a fifteen year-old kid with too much time on his hands.

Skog

Lilly said:

I like this link:
http://www.tljones.co.uk/apd/apd.htm

Higolo

SongOfSongs said:
beep() said:
I think the main difference is the fear of rejection?

Fear of rejection is also the basis of social anxiety. I don't completely understand the difference. As far as I can gather, social anxiety is generally used to describe the fear of being perceived as unsatisfactory or just "awkward" in social situations, therefore it is a fear of rejection. AvPD is a greater fear of being seen as a worthless or "unattractive" (in the fuller, non-sexual and purely social definition): it is a fear that no one will ever be willing to form a meaningful interpersonal bond with them, or that if someone does, they will break it because the AvPD sufferer is an unworthy person. In my opinion, AvPD and Social Anxiety are the same thing. I wouldn't even describe it as two sides of the same coin, because I believe the first fear (that of being judged as unsatisfactory in what are often trivial actions and social situations) is a manifestation of the greater, second fear (that of being judged as worthless). But what do I know? I'm just a fifteen year-old kid with too much time on his hands.

An intelligent fifteen-year-old kid with too much time on his hands :wink:

Anonymous

Online group therapy for APD

Does anyone know of an online therapy group for APD?

I can't find any real live ones in the area I live in.

I tired psychotherapy for years, but made only minor progress.
I belive that group therapy is vital becasue it deals wtih the core of the problem...also with developing social skills in an expecting environment.

Thanks,
Mingi

maggie

moriarty10 said:
These replies have been kind.

I am doind simple things like smile at people.

8O 8O 8O 8O
I saw a classmate at college yesterday who I find attractive. Previously I would have avoided speaking to her. I have hardly spoken to the girl. Anyway, I was about to avoid her but at the last moment I went up and said 'hello.' And she responded kindly. We had a chat for a few moments. And I left feeling great and I couldn't stop smiling.
:D :D :D :D
hey moriarty10...that's awesome :!:

renegadee

The difference ? It's a effect-cause thing:

Effect: avoidance (AVP)
Cause: phobia (SP)

Sorry for repeating myself.