Being forced into it?

Scottish_Player

Has anyone here ever overcome certain parts of their SA by being foreced into it?

As an example i was always scared to go through the McDonlads drive thru then one day at work i was the designated driver and a few of use went to McDonalds to get lunch,as much as i hate going inside i always prefered it rather than the drive thru.But on this day the other 2 people with me wanted to use the drive thru as it was busy inside,now with them not knowing how i feel about it i didnt want to make a big fuss over it all so i just had to go for it because if i had made a fuss of it all i think i would have looked worse,anyway i done it and i felt good for it,it was the first time i had used it and it felt great even although this was nearly 2 years ago i still use it about once a week and everytime i still get a little nervous but i have over come it.

I was thinking if this would be a good way of over coming other aspects of my SA by just jumping in at the deepend and if anyone has had anything similar like this happen to them.

JWH

I wish I had someone to push me more. I've got little motivation to do anything. Being pushed works well unless it's a constant pressure to do something - too much pressure or negativity causes me to rebel.

maggie

For me, a drive-thru is much easier than going into store and waiting in a lineup of people, that freaks me out, but my voice is never loud enough, always have to repeat myself, frustrating!! :? Hard to push myself into overcoming certain situations, cause I psyche myself up, and then the stupid paralyzing feeling comes back again, sucks!! :(

jourjaune

The only one I'll listen to is me. If someone else tells me to go into a store by myself for example, I won't do it. So I've got to be the one to push me...I'm working up the courage

Fredscars

i know what you mean..i can cope with school because i never considered bunking off...im dropped right at school, picked up from school...my parents are strict about me staying home ill..and if i was too run off once at school then i would get in trouble with my parents...and i just never thought about doing it, and thus i have learnt to cope with school.

Nightshade

Don't think this has ever worked for me.

I always had that classic mental process going on that if something happened that I feared and it wasn't a disaster, then my mind was just saying, phew, that was close, lucky you survived that but you better find better ways to avoid getting into that situation in future.

So even if things were ok, it would still increase my avoidance and add to my problems, particularly if it was a situation where I had no control.

On the other hand, having support to motivate you to do the things that you fear and to give you a bit of push when needed would probably be good. But I wouldn't want anyone pushing me into things I feared that didn't have some understanding of the problem.

despise

a little push is good. we could all need it occasionaly. but in my other post (parent-teacher interviews) im being forced by all my teachers to speak more in class...and at the moment.. because of them, i am really scared to go to school. normally im ok with it. but i just want to hide from everyone and just go un-noticed. its too much all at once i think.

ignisfatuus

Anticipation is the key factor determining whether being forced to do something will be harmful or not. If I know ahead of time that I have to do something I'll be nauseous and sleepless in the days leading up to it. If it occurs without my suspecting it then the anxiety, while still there, is not nearly as bad.