being in the present moment cures all diseases

hardy

A life not lived in the present moment is a life of delusion and unreality which causes all sorts of perverse situations in life and defilement’s in the mind, resulting in anxiety, tension, dissatisfaction, restlessness and suffering.

However as we learn to live and witness the truth of the present moment, automatically we begin to experience respite and freedom from these negative traits.

Sri S.N.Goenka

more on how to live in the present : Vipassana Meditation

may we be happy

NickM

That sounds like a bunch of philosophical BS. In my experience, philosophy is most often no more than a slew of fruitless arguments. Living in the the truth of the present moment depends on what's happening in that moment. If I'm sweating like crazy in the moment, and that present moment is causing me great discomfort, I'm certainly living in that present moment, and it's certainly not alleviating any kind of anxiety, tension, stress, and the likes. Being present in the moment doesn't cure anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sprawling

The present moment can also be very long. Who's to say when a moment begins or ends. One can look at the present moment as multiple moments all being connected, otherwise every actualized moment is in the past and there is no present moment.

I put sayings as above in the category of thoughts that sound good, maybe even profound, yet truly mean nothing.

NickM

@Sprawling: Exactly what philosophy is about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hardy

It helped me..Am on my way to happiness. Fools will not try anything...i can't stop any one from choosing to be overthrown by thoughts of past and future.

If one Observes the breath in the present moment....one does not have craving nor aversion towards the present moment.But if you give importance to the thoughts, you are rolling in it.

When you are with the present moment ..awareness of the breath or sensations, You have a moment of purity...devoid of craving,aversion and ignorance. Nature throws sweat, cold,pain,anxiety,depression and all kind of suffering....if you react with aversion, you multiply it. There is no end to it.

But if u observe sweat, cold etc like a scientist without reaction.....seeing it's impermanent nature, u will know it's true nature...which is impermanent....and are not disturbed by it. This logic is BS for fools.

Have a nice day.

NickM

It blows my mind that people actually think like this. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. Period. That's logic for you.

It helped me..Am on my way to happiness.
^That is great that this method has helped you hardy. But stating that it will "cure all diseases" is wrong. Just because something has helped you, you can't then state that it will cure "all diseases" for everyone.

Statements like that make anyone who has tried everything (to no avail) feel even worse.:thumbdown:

Fools will not try anything.........This logic is BS for fools.
^I am a fool? :thinking:

hardy

Dear Nickm...one is not ignoring the problem....for example ,when you are really angry at someone or a situation, the anger manifests it selves on the body as fast breathing or an unpleasant sensation in the body. If you give importance to abstract anger i.e, thoughts in that moment, you will roll in it. If you watch the breath or sensation you are watching your anger indirectly and see that it passes away after a while.

When you know something is transient, you will not be disturbed by it. But then a fool will not understand this logic either. He will roll in thoughts about anger AND IT'S subjects and make a hill out of mole.

Sprawling

Dear Nickm...one is not ignoring the problem....for example ,when you are really angry at someone or a situation, the anger manifests it selves on the body as fast breathing or an unpleasant sensation in the body. If you give importance to abstract anger i.e, thoughts in that moment, you will roll in it. If you watch the breath or sensation you are watching your anger indirectly and see that it passes away after a while.

When you know something is transient, you will not be disturbed by it. But then a fool will not understand this logic either. He will roll in thoughts about anger AND IT'S subjects and make a hill out of mole.

Have you or have you ever had HH or any serious illness that has affected your body that you were able to control using just your thoughts? Is illness a manifestation of the reactions of unpleasant thoughts such as fear, anger etc? Do you believe that positive thinking can control all aspects of ones life.

When talking of positive or negative aren't they one of the same just subjective to ones training or school of thought that one subscribes too?

Sticking to the topic of HH, can you describe or offer a valuable tip on how you have have been able to control the physiological aspect of the bodies reaction to sweating? This would be a little more helpful than quoting sayings that you have learned.

We have had many discussions here on how many of deal with our condition and live our lives. Our condition (HH) doesn't go away, we just learn to supress or ignore different aspects of it. Some of us have difficulties. What's your experience?

Sprawling

For things made simple in a philosophical context, read here:

Vipassana Meditation

My thoughts are stated in the simplest and nonjudgmental way as possible:

A balance harmonious life can be rather simple... unless it's not.

Kiwong

I've found it doesn't cure depression, but practising concentrating on what I hear, see and smell around me, in the present, and getting out of my useless thought stream, for a moment does provide relief. Mindfulness meditation is one of the most useful techniques I've been taught.

Learning to relax and stop bloody well thinking for a second or two, is wonderful. And worrying about the past and what has even happened yet sure is delusional.

When this has worked best for me is when a therapist taught me to concentrate on my breathing, and to work through all my muscles and tense and then relax them. She taught me then to concentrate on what I could hear around me. While I was in this deeply relaxed state, she gave me some positive affirmations.

It was wonderful and I felt relaxed for days afterwards and I was able to confront a stressful situation without worry.

hardy

Have you or have you ever had HH or any serious illness that has affected your body that you were able to control using just your thoughts? Is illness a manifestation of the reactions of unpleasant thoughts such as fear, anger etc? Do you believe that positive thinking can control all aspects of ones life.

When talking of positive or negative aren't they one of the same just subjective to ones training or school of thought that one subscribes too?

Sticking to the topic of HH, can you describe or offer a valuable tip on how you have have been able to control the physiological aspect of the bodies reaction to sweating? This would be a little more helpful than quoting sayings that you have learned.

We have had many discussions here on how many of deal with our condition and live our lives. Our condition (HH) doesn't go away, we just learn to supress or ignore different aspects of it. Some of us have difficulties. What's your experience?

I am not an expert in this but i would like to give my opinion from what i experienced and what i read. I have had severe anxiety problems...i have severe difficulty in swallowing and being around people. And watching breath and sensation has definitely improved my condition. I agree it's wrong in saying this cures all diseases...but when you are in the present moment without rolling in thoughts, there is peace, and being at ease cures all psychosomatic diseases.

The great teachers of the past said, Why don't you learn Vipassana and see for yourselves? There are cases of severe migraine, cancer etc who got cured by regular practice of vipassana( meaning seeing things as they truly are). Not just migraines n cancers, vipassana is a medicine for all suffering. Please taste this medicine and experience the peace.

Yoga, exercise help physical health. Buddha discovered how mind works and thereby how to live happily.They say, A strong mind can live with a weak body ...but a strong body cannot survive long with a weak mind. If the problems are psychosomatic...the mind needs to be operated right...learn how mind works and develop wisdom and skills to tame it , right?

How are some people with no legs, no hands living happily? They developed a strong mind....while some with all legs and hands are in depression? cause they have a weak mind and don't understand how to live happily. Understand how the mind works...how living in the present gives happiness...right!

forgive me for saying it cures all diseases...i don't mean to say it's answer to everything...but try this . i have had good results. Peace and out....

Last edited:
I've found that living in the present has helped me. I think what hardy was trying to say by "being in the present" is to accept the present moment you are in, whether it is good or bad. It doesn't have to be bad, it's up to us to see things in a certain way. So whether you have missed your bus, are having a really awkward uncomfortable conversation with someone, we feel badly about these things because we often wish we were somewhere else or you wish this wasn't happening to you. Rather than resist, accept. That doesn't mean giving up nor does it mean ignoring it. It means if there's nothing you can do in practical terms to help your situation, why even make it into a problem and stress about it? Problems are mind-manifested things that serve absolutely no purpose - either you do something about it, or you accept it.

Last edited:

Nanita

A life not lived in the present moment is a life of delusion and unreality which causes all sorts of perverse situations in life and defilement’s in the mind, resulting in anxiety, tension, dissatisfaction, restlessness and suffering.

However as we learn to live and witness the truth of the present moment, automatically we begin to experience respite and freedom from these negative traits.

Sri S.N.Goenka

may we be happy

I agree. The power always lies in the now, the present.
Everything else is thoughts.

darrens

I totally agree with the theory but practicing the theory i find extremely difficult or impossible.
To practice the theory correctly you need to forget every materialistic thought you have,if you are doing it for any reason even if you motives are pure it still won't work.

This doesn't make much sense i know but to really live in the now you need to forget any need or want for anything and this is possibly the reason why i fail because i am doing it for self gain so it will never work i think,for me anyway.
I do believe it's possible to find mental bliss possibly,but alas i don't think i will ever achieve it.
I read the book's also listened to his stuff the german guy forget his name lol, but i do find it calms me and that i do get something from them but i cant get enough from it .
Ekhart tolle is the guy just googled it i'm no expert on this stuff either,just some thoughts on the subject.

Sprawling

And how does this relate to or be put into practice with HH (hyperhidrosis) which is excessive sweating?

I'm not sure why this thread is on the HH board?

NickM

I'm with Sprawling. Living in the present doesn't stop a physiological disorder like hyperhidrosis.

Wetpalmed

Sri S.N.Goenka

may we be happy

Good news everyone, we can go to all the cancerous children wards and tell them everything is okay they just haven't been living in the moment enough.