being in the present moment cures all diseases

Could we perhaps leave the ridicule and condescending tones at the door? While I respect that people may have different opinions on matters such as this, if we start to poke fun at each other any academic gain we may have gotten from this discussion will be diminished, if not lost all together.

Rather elaborate and explain why you feel your views are correct and why they work for you. Perspective is more beneficial than confrontation in these cases.

Hoppy

Statements like that make anyone who has tried everything (to no avail) feel even worse.

And I wonder how would I know if I have tried everything?

Maybe someone who has given up hasn't yet tried everything.

I am sure I haven't tired everything.

Sprawling

Could we perhaps leave the ridicule and condescending tones at the door? While I respect that people may have different opinions on matters such as this, if we start to poke fun at each other any academic gain we may have gotten from this discussion will be diminished, if not lost all together.

Rather elaborate and explain why you feel your views are correct and why they work for you. Perspective is more beneficial than confrontation in these cases.

Agreed. This posting really doesn't belong on the HH board. Blanket advice that has nothing to do with HH that offers very little practical advice should be posted on the correct forum.

Wow there is a lot of negativity going on in here. As someone who has dealt with HH my whole life, I know full well how debilitating it can be. Living in the moment is something us as humans are currently integrating into our lives via energies coming from earth and the cosmos. Most people live their lives in the past or in the future, and I was one of those people. Living like that can most certainly cause all sorts of strange illnesses and conditions. I'm not saying HH is caused by not living in the moment, but it can certainly make it worse. There is no need to worry though, this integration process is happening for everyone whether you realize it or not. It comes down to if you want to make it harder for yourself, or easier and allow the process to happen. I'm assuming that once people let this natural change occur, strange conditions like HH will start to go away at a higher rate.

Nanita

If you people don't agree with what the thread is about, why don't you just leave it instead of creating an arguement. It's a waste of energy to feel provoked by someone's ideas for improvement. The thread wasn't made to provoke anyone, so calm down.

Wetpalmed

I tried to help create positive energy for this thread but every time I lifted my hands up to make the spirit bomb nothing happened. But lucky everyone with aids will now know they just aren't in the moment.

Iseesky

Being in the present moment doesn't cure all diseases. That's silly. It does however make illnesses of the mind (and also symptoms of those illnesses) much more tolerable and even assists us in getting rid of them altogether.
It IS a real thing and people that have absolutely no faith in it really are missing out on a great thing! Let me explain...

We're negative people. We see the worst in ourselves. Everything we do will be an embarrassment and therefore we'd be better off just not doing things at all. All of us are so focused on our thoughts. We AREN'T in the present moment. AT ALL. At least, not in the way we should be. We walk down the street and we feel the breeze on our faces and we see buildings and smell the smells...We're present. We're seeing, smelling, feeling, being. Then we stop and start thinking. That's the killer. And we focus and focus on these thoughts and start developing them and they start to control us. 'That lady just looked at me. Why did she just look at me? Is there something on my face? Am I walking weird? OMG I'm walking weird, aren't I? Okay...stop walking weird. One foot and then the next. What if my hair is a mess and I don't realize? Maybe that's why she looked. Oh god...now everyone is looking!' Being present goes out the window and we're no longer feeling the breeze on our faces.

It's not easy, but it is very possible and very worthwhile to practice being present and mindful and all of that new wave stuff. When you're focused on observing what's around you, your mind doesn't really have much 'room' to focus on your fears and worries. It's really like turning off your anxiety switch.

But anyway. Haven't been on this website much lately...just decided to check in and make a post to defend a practice that is really helping me with my anxiety.

If you are interested in learning about mindfulness and meditation and such, I suggest you check out Mingyur Rinpoche's videos on youtube. He's a funny Buddhist monk that cured his panic disorder with meditation.

S_Spartan

Meh, I agree that we all need to be in the present moment more but one problem, for me at least, is that the present moment is usually mind numbingly dull. I mean, I need more than a breeze on my face and some birds singing!

Even being in nature becomes boring. At first it is nice but after a while its like "yeah, there is a tree. Yeah, there's a rock".

It is ultimately passion that I am looking for and that seems to be in short supply in the world. Things seem kinda fake and passionless now.

I will say that certain ASMR videos on youtube get me to a place like you guys are talking about though. Sometimes when I feel I have reached the end I can sit down in quiet and put one on and drift away and my whole body relaxes.

Other than that I am looking for some kind of spark to escape this dull world.

Kiwong

I call this technique "stop bloody well thinking for a moment". It's such a relief to empty my mind for a moment.

Iseesky

Meh, I agree that we all need to be in the present moment more but one problem, for me at least, is that the present moment is usually mind numbingly dull. I mean, I need more than a breeze on my face and some birds singing!

Even being in nature becomes boring. At first it is nice but after a while its like "yeah, there is a tree. Yeah, there's a rock".

It is ultimately passion that I am looking for and that seems to be in short supply in the world. Things seem kinda fake and passionless now.

I will say that certain ASMR videos on youtube get me to a place like you guys are talking about though. Sometimes when I feel I have reached the end I can sit down in quiet and put one on and drift away and my whole body relaxes.

Other than that I am looking for some kind of spark to escape this dull world.

Dull world? This world is anything but dull. It's up to you to find the excitement and if you can't, then you aren't looking hard enough. Sure, if you're walking the same path day after day you're bound to get tired of it...that's why you try a new path. And there are tons of paths you haven't tried yet.
But either way, I'm glad those videos relax you. Whatever works!

S_Spartan

Dull world? This world is anything but dull. It's up to you to find the excitement and if you can't, then you aren't looking hard enough. Sure, if you're walking the same path day after day you're bound to get tired of it...that's why you try a new path. And there are tons of paths you haven't tried yet.
But either way, I'm glad those videos relax you. Whatever works!

Yes, I find the world to be a dull and tedious place.

This is why I say that I am an old soul because I truly feel like I have been here for centuries. Even as a kid I felt that way and people would comment on how "adult" I was.

But there has always been a nagging boredom.

In my youth I would fill this vacuum with many different passions.

But now I can only muster short bursts of passion that fizzle quickly.

So now I just kind of exist, at least I think I do, sometimes I'm not sure.

Kiwong

I always find there is something new to discover in nature. When I started to look closely I was really amazed by the detail and complexity in nature I see through my camera lens.

Last year I started looking around intertidal rocks, and I noticed the amazing variety of sea shells there are, from the impossibly small to the incredibly large. There were these large shells I could see, but then when I looked at the macro image I could see small shells almost invisible to the naked eye. Almost like worlds upon worlds, detail upon detail.

And each time I go to the headland the tides and swell are different, revealing levels of nature I hadn't seen before. I discovered my first sea squirt by treading on it and getting a squirt in the face. I get in touch with how the beach environment is so dynamic.

I've been photographing wildflowers for a few years now, and the flowers themselves are unique in each species. Such detail and subtle difference revealed under the macro lens.

And on the subject of trees, in the National Park I am studying there a hundreds of different species. And rocks, what type of rock is it, sandstone, granite, basalt, what soil is it? And then you get understand the signatures of the earth and how geology affects vegetation.

The detail in nature continues to astound me and blow me away.

And then there are sunrises and sunsets each one unique like a fingerprint. And the cycle of moon and stars and planets. The super moon set I saw last year was an incredible light show.

Nature is a life saver to me, such a distraction and really meditative.

Last edited:

Zod

@Spartan, I think part of the practice of present moment/meditation is recognizing the egoic need of the mind for things to be interesting/not boring. The need to be constantly stimulated. So if you feel that arise, you can observe it and let it be.

When you are in nature, we sometimes have the need to call everything something "what is this rock called, what is that tree called", part of the practice is to let go of the need to label and just be, just like animals, rocks, trees are just being themselves. The same goes for our own surroundings and life situation. The mind will often say it's bad, or not enough, you'll find, or it will be happy temporarily (a little high) and then be unhappy again.

Anyway, it's feeling life over mind. Mind too often obscures life, it's very seductive and can pull you in.
I don't agree that it cures all diseases, that's wishful THINKING again. But at the very least it can ease the mind-created suffering and restlessness.

Last edited:

Entangled

What hardy is discussing in this post is the practice of Mindfulness. It is used in Buddhism and psychology. It is a type of meditation to help clear your mind of worry and other distractions in order to help you solve a problem that you may be having.

This quote is kind of related:
7ea05d38abb367f2d8a2ffb8cb9d284b.jpg

So if you are sweating because you are afraid of something that might happen, you are thinking in the future, you are being anxious. Mindfullness meditation helps you calm down and analyze the problem from an emotional distance: Ex: What am I afraid of? How likely is what I am afraid of going to happen? Ect.
Instead of just sitting there going: omgomgomgomg!! Freaking out!! Which will not help the problem or make it worse

MollyBeGood

@Spartan, I think part of the practice of present moment/meditation is recognizing the egoic need of the mind for things to be interesting/not boring. The need to be constantly stimulated. So if you feel that arise, you can observe it and let it be.

When you are in nature, we sometimes have the need to call everything something "what is this rock called, what is that tree called", part of the practice is to let go of the need to label and just be, just like animals, rocks, trees are just being themselves. The same goes for our own surroundings and life situation. The mind will often say it's bad, or not enough, you'll find, or it will be happy temporarily (a little high) and then be unhappy again.

Anyway, it's feeling life over mind. Mind too often obscures life, it's very seductive and can pull you in.
I don't agree that it cures all diseases, that's wishful THINKING again. But at the very least it can ease the mind-created suffering and restlessness.

I want to write "Wonderful, or great explanation" but that is labeling also LoL You wrote this so well, Zod. Great way of explaining the ego and labeling of/by the mind.

Wetpalmed

Stop being a victim.

Oh my bad I was totally being a victim thinking about all those out their who just aren't in the moment enough to help cure their terrible illnesses. My bad I was being so selfish and a complete victim thinking of others.