Being prescribed and not taking....

okkamsrazor

Ive recently been prescribed PAROXETINE for my anxiety iss but after a lil bit o research I decided not to go get it. I can't put it down to why but after my last experience with ZIMOVANE im pretty reluctant.
Have any of you been prescribed a drug and for whatever reason not filled out the prescription/purchased the med? If so what were your reasons?

Okk

kyle

Banned
I think I was prescribed something similiar, like SERZONE a decade ago. Serzone didn't do anything for me, and they took it off the market a couple of years ago. I took a look at the price and said "to hell with this". I ended up going back on NARDIL. Nardil rules. It is the best drug ever for Social Anxiety. I would recommkend it to you because it's cheap, and it's not one of those relatively new SSRI's like Prozac, PAxil or Zoloft.

Polarity

I done this a few times with DRs orders! I think TRUST is a major issue too. I changed mine a few times already because he wasnt giving me the right drugs and I had feeling that he didnt care enough.

Y

Why wouldnt you get it? What could be worse? (i dont know your situation but if your afraid of the side effects , theyre not worse than having to cope with anxiety and depression)

Im on paxil for 2 years on and off, quit it twice, but went back to using it again. Its been quite effective against my depression and some of my sp symptoms like shaking hands and sweating (i still sweat but a lot less).

As for side effects, i just had them for the first 2 weeks, then they go away.

okkamsrazor

Y said:
Why wouldnt you get it? What could be worse? (i dont know your situation but if your afraid of the side effects , theyre not worse than having to cope with anxiety and depression)

Im on paxil for 2 years on and off, quit it twice, but went back to using it again. Its been quite effective against my depression and some of my sp symptoms like shaking hands and sweating (i still sweat but a lot less).

As for side effects, i just had them for the first 2 weeks, then they go away.

Im glad your medications are working for you Y :) I guess i am worried bout side-effects but mostly its down to the way treatment is applied to people like us (i.e. drugs) I know everone's different & everyone reacts differently to stuff but I still get this feeling that I can overcome this disorder by other means, I just dont know what yet :!: Ive since seen a mental health worker and she told me its 'difficult to find a course of treatment that responds well with anxiety / sp' but after speaking with her and going thru my symptoms I felt better. Maybe it was the act of letting-off steam etc but after the talk I felt more grounded in reality and was able to go thru the rest of the day with a clear head. I think im gonna give the meds a rest for a while and have a look at what psych therapy can offer (im glad its free!) :wink:

ps also have a look at what is said about PAROXETINE - does not instill faith! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paroxetine 8O

kyle

Banned
Polarity said:
I done this a few times with DRs orders! I think TRUST is a major issue too. I changed mine a few times already because he wasnt giving me the right drugs and I had feeling that he didnt care enough.

He probably didn't. Doctors are humans, and he probably had some stupid preconceived notion that people with SA are weak, and don't need to be taken seriously.

snail

After a "coming out" as gay, and going through a major geographical move in my life I became hugely depressed and self-destructive. The new psychiatrist I went to prescribed Zyprexa and talked about putting me on Lithium. Because I was in such a state, he incorrectly diagnosed me as bi-polar, but I was really just extremeley depressed, lonely, and anxious. What I really needed was rest, talk and a good anti-depressant and/or tranquilizer. I took the Zyprexa which was extremely powerful. It took years to get over the twitching in my legs from it. I actually liked it, but in retrospect, this anti-psychotic was probably too much for me. When he mentioned Lithium, a red flag went off in my head. I sensed I wasn't truly bi-polar even though I had some rather manic urges. It's important to read up on stuff and if you have a good talk therapist that you trust, they can usually diagnose you better than the MD's.

kyle

Banned
snail said:
After a "coming out" as gay, and going through a major geographical move in my life I became hugely depressed and self-destructive. The new psychiatrist I went to prescribed Zyprexa and talked about putting me on Lithium. Because I was in such a state, he incorrectly diagnosed me as bi-polar, but I was really just extremeley depressed, lonely, and anxious. What I really needed was rest, talk and a good anti-depressant and/or tranquilizer. I took the Zyprexa which was extremely powerful. It took years to get over the twitching in my legs from it. I actually liked it, but in retrospect, this anti-psychotic was probably too much for me. When he mentioned Lithium, a red flag went off in my head. I sensed I wasn't truly bi-polar even though I had some rather manic urges. It's important to read up on stuff and if you have a good talk therapist that you trust, they can usually diagnose you better than the MD's.

That happened to my friend. He had anxiety problems, and the doctor put him on Thorazine (an antipsychotic). I told him to get a new MD, as the lady he was seeing was a quack.