Beta Blockers

ppaul

Went to the doctor today to try and get some beta-blockers. (she didnt want to give me any until she spoke to my psychologist).

I stuffed up a test yesterday cause i got anxious and couldnt read the questions. my heart started racing and i felt like i was gonna pass out. Decided id get some medication to help me.

Anyone out there tried using beta blockers for exam situations or just in general?

did you find them useful??

MadCat

Hope you're enjoying yourself in Holland worrydoll. One day you'll be able to smile on the inside and see how even more happier you can be :)

zyxockjm

Ppaul, I've heard bananas are supposed to contain natural beta-blockers. You can search this on google to find out more, but I've heard if you eat like a couple bananas an hour before a stressful event it would help be a little more calm.

Give it a try and if it helps even the slightest then probably you can use Inderal (propranolol).

SingaporeGuy

WAO Worrydoll!

180gm! thats like a lot of grams? :idea: :wink:

i took 20 gms and it was sufficient to choke that shakiness..

ppaul

I did a google of banas and beta blockers.

Most sites were saying you should avoid eating large amounts of fruit like bananas and tomatoes because they have too much potassium (somehow this is not good when your taking beta blockers)

but thanks anyway.

ppaul

went to the doctor yesterday and my psycholgist today. no-one wants to give me them.

o well, probably just as well, for now anyway.

think i'll get a new psychologist though. he's so negative and quick to make judgements. everytime i think ive had a good week (despite the inevietable setbacks) he wont acknowledge my improvement. he focuses on my setback and says "you a very negative thinker who puts himself down"..I just wanna bloody scream"NO im bloody NOT!! im only a negative think sometimes and im tryiong my hardest to be optimistic, i dont bloody well need you telling me how crap you think i am".

At least i stanbd up to him when he does that, cause im having more and occassions when im not beating myself up or getting anxious. im improving.

anyways, i have an exam at the end of the semster worth 70%. its a while away but i hope i dont panic in that.

maybe i should see the uni councellor to see if they can offer any suport. maybe they make exceptions for you if you completely bomb out in an exam.

anyway, enough ranting and raving.

cheers for the advice everyone.

JWH

I've had a GP tell me I'm depressed and anxious and that this is going to affect my body if I didn't treat myself to some Effexor. Don't let them control or influence you too much. There's nothing worse for your anxiety than not trusting or believing yourself.