Biff 3 of 5

Biff

Part3

Well, I apologize for the long story in part 2, but it does have significance. I should also tell you now that these techniques are not mine, but I have seen them work miracles. Some sceptics will say that it’s too simplistic and that they’ve tried similar things before. Ok, you’re entitled to your opinion. For everyone else, lets press on.

I should also mention here that this is not a substitution for psychiatric therapy or medical advice. The following techniques are simply a different, and possibly more practical way, of looking at things. The keyword here is DIFFERENT. And before someone mentions it: no, I’m not downplaying the seriousness of your illness. I don’t think I have all the answers. I don’t know how useful this will be. Mainly, though, I am not naïve enough to think that I can solve a serious mental illness with these techniques. I just think that if you open your mind to other possibilities, that you may get some value from it. At this point anything is better than nothing at all.

What is the most important thing in your life? What means the most to you? Love? Money? A great job? A good education? Will you be able to fully realize any of these goals while you are suffering from SA? Not too likely. So is it safe to say that curing your SA is the most important thing in the world? I’ll let you decide. The reason I even mention this is that to accomplish anything worthwhile you need desire. If you consider beating SA the most important thing in your life, than that is all the desire you need. Desire fuels decision. Decision results in action. Action is sustained by a strong enough desire.

I know you are all sick and tired of being told what to do. Being told what to do is often not enough. That’s where the advice in the following posts will be different. I am not just going to tell you what to do, but I’m going to tell you HOW to do it.

Ok, so the first thing you need to decide on is where you want to be. Without a goal, it’s difficult to tell which way to go and when you’ve arrived. This will be different for everyone. Think about this carefully. Going back to the ski-hill analogy, not everyone will want to bother with the expert runs. Some may be satisfied with mastering the intermediate or even the beginner runs.

Now, consider this. You live your life according to beliefs you have programmed into your mind. Past experiences, positive and negative, are a big part of what make up your beliefs. Your brain operates consciously and unconsciously according to these beliefs. Your brain/body has an automatic protection system, which is continuously functioning, on a conscience and subconscious level. Most of the time you don’t even realize it. Self-preservation is the name of the game here. If your brain associates pain with something, your built in flight or fight mechanism clicks on. It is protecting you from pain just as it would protect you from a physical threat.

Here’s an example. You have to give a speech. You are programmed with the belief that you are a loser, that no one likes you and that they are all waiting to judge you and laugh at you. You approach the front of the room, you are shaking, your throat constricts, and your face is bright red. Your brain believes that you are a loser and that everyone is just waiting for you to make a fool of yourself so they can get a good laugh. Deep down, these are your core beliefs. Armed with this information your brain associates and anticipates much pain and humiliation. The flight or fight response kicks in and the obvious physical signs are present-i.e. blushing, trembling, shaky voice. This causes more distress and humiliation and thereby, more flight or fight symptoms. This is the run away effect.

There are many techniques out there that rely on reprogramming your brain. Repeating positive statements so that eventually they are absorbed into your sub-conscience mind. The problem with this is that your brain knows the difference between fact and fiction. You can tell yourself something all day long and unless your brain truly believes it on both a conscience and sub-conscience level, then you are wasting your time. This rarely works for this reason.

The only way you will truly change your beliefs is by receiving real world feedback. Your brain knows this is the real stuff and will adjust its beliefs accordingly. But, what happens if it receives negative feedback? Well, what cures you can kill you also. By placing yourself in a very high exposure environment-like a party, or giving a speech, you are setting yourself up for disaster since the possibility of receiving negative feedback is great. What’s the solution then? Well, think back to the ski-hill from part 2. By dividing the hill into very manageable sections, Cam was able to conquer one and then take that experience and move on to something slightly more difficult. Attending a party might be like snowboarding off an expert run with no experience, for a socially phobic person.

ignisfatuus

I have no idea why this guy continues to post as it has gone past the point of taking a jibe to what almost appears like (could it be?) concern. A lot of this sounds like it was pulled straight from a CBT how-to book.

Scottish_Player

ignisfatuus i was kinda thinking the same thing myself,on his first post to the forum he knew nothing about SA/SP and now a few days later he seems to be an expert on it??? but at the same time he is only trying to help and give advice.I wonder how he looks at his brother now, does he still see him as lazy and useless?

Tim001

Part 3 sounds like your typical CBT stuff, but it's really hard to reword that stuff anyway. Some is obvious, but most is helpful. I doubt that this entire post was ripped off from a CBT book. At least no books that I've read(and I've read most).

I'm not a Biff fan and I don't know why he keeps posting. I just like taking things at face value and there is useful info in this series of posts.

ignisfatuus

I'm not a Biff fan and I don't know why he keeps posting. I just like taking things at face value and there is useful info in this series of posts.

There are indeed some useful things in this series of five posts, and the tone and attitude of the poster has drastically changed from the original post. Why the need to post this though? And even though the information may make sense, as someone else has pointed out, the problem lies in implementation.

rpschools

i was a lurking at this board for a while and like most of you, i have SA, but i've never joined untill now because of this Biff controversy. Although Biff does tend to be insensitive, sacrastic and condescending in his posts and attitudes, a lot of the reason he pisses everyone here off so much is because their is a lot of truth to what he is saying, and i think we all know it. We do tend to give up to easily, mispercieve things and get insulted to easily, get thrown into despair over what in reality is only a minor set backs. I know just as well as you that SA comsumes you, starngles you with worry and fear untill you just want to curl into a ball. We tend to want to hide behind our condition, using it as an excuse for all our failures, for the reason we cannot change. But what is preventing us from seeking treatment and true relief other than ourselves, our own unwllingness to try and take on such a monsterous task, our own fear of failure, our impateince with success that leads us to want to competely change all in one day. Their comes a point were you can no longer blame your condition for not trying and change things for the better. I have reached that point.

Now Biff is obviously not a psychologist, but i have read his shit, and it makes perfect sense. In fact, it prettyu much says the exact same things that every CBT book and self help book says. I myself do not believe this is because he copied his shit from the books. I believe that his aproach of gradually exposing yourself one small step at a time is the only way to conquer this plague. If you people are holding out thinking that if you go to a therapist or your find some magic pill with some queer ass egg on the cover, things will be any different, your wrong. They treat phobias by graudually exposing you to your fears, the same wya Biff is suggesting. And Meds only take of some of the edge so that it will be easier to face socail interactions. Their is no outgoing pill, no pill that will make you talk more; that parts up to you. They may take some time building up your confidence an preparing you for the monumental task, but the end result is all the same. Before all of us lies the long hard road of social exposure. their are no shortcuts, no way around it. It is the only path to happiness. It is our destiny to face it. Our you could continue to live in fear, untill fear is the only emotuion in youir life, the only constant in your life. Eventually, fear will become your life.

Some of us may need consulling, some of us may need meds, but none of us need to sit on our ass, wallowing in self pity, drowning in a poolm of our own tears. What all of us need to do is take some inititive and some responsibility and face our fears. Listen to eminem's song "Lose Yourself"cause idk about you guys, but "sucess is the my only mutha fuckin option, failure is not".

I'm out.

ColdFury

Exposure, on its own, is not guaranteed to make things better. In fact, it can just make things worse because if things don't go perfectly (and with our anxiety things will NEVER go perfectly), we can just become discouraged or frustrated and make our anxiety worse. Exposure coupled with something like CBT works best (though it still doesn't work 100% of the time).