Birthday coming up and dreading it!

krs2snow

My B-day is on V-day and I am absolutely dreading that day! I have been freaking out for the last week thinking about it! At my work we have a Birthday Club in which they buy treats for everyone in my department when it's someones birthday. It's supposed to be a nice thing, you know? But I am freaking out because I do not want the attention on me! Not only is it my birthday but it's also Valentines day and I don't want anyone asking me about my relationship. I am panicking! I just know I am going to be bright red all day and feel so stupid! Last night I was contemplating how I could make myself sick and not go to work that day. Or I could take my vacation! Or I could quit! I was actually thinking I could quit my job and have no source of income just so I can avoid having attention on me! I am sooo nervous about it!

SilentType

Banned
You're making way too big a deal out of this. It's all in your head. Birthdays are meant to be enjoyed, and I'm sure everyone in your office will help you to enjoy your big day. The first half hour might be rough, but it will be smooth sailing from there.

Just to let you know, my birthdays coming up the day after yours, and I'm dreading it, too. I know from past experiences like the one you're dreading that the hardest part will be walking into your office. It's all downhill from there. I promise. I know it seems dreadful now, but once you begin working on your birthday it will just be another day at the office. Stick it out or you'll regret it.

Give this some more thought, and you'll realize that you really don't want to give yourself the gift of joblessness for your birthday.

I hope that provided some helpful insight, because I know first hand what it's like to throw away something great because of anxiety (college for me).

Peace

Peace

AsHLeY

I know exactly how you feel krs2snow. The people that I work with do the exact same thing for everybody's birthday. They buy a cake, sing "Happy Birthday", give you presents and big balloons so everyone will know ~ there's no gettin around it. I usually freak out a few days before my birthday too. I have had thoughts of walking out/not showing up/calling in sick....but they'll just get ya the next time you're in. :oops: Just keep in mind that they're only doing it to celebrate with you ~ to show you that they enjoy being around you, it's not meant to be a horrible thing. As soon as it's over with, you'll feel relieved and happy that you did stay.
Don't quit your job over some birthday attention. Everybody on earth has a birthday to celebrate, so there's no avoiding it. Most places do the birthday celebratory thing ~ you can't go through life quitting every job because of the anxiety you feel on your birthday. Trust me, it's not so bad once you actually get on with the day. I even feel anxiety getting gifts from my close family because I don't want the attention...but it feels good to know people actually care about you. Just stick it out, don't quit your job!! You'll definitely regret it and you'll feel defeated by letting your anxiety take over. :)
You could even maybe let your co-workers know how much you dislike being in the spotlight and ask them to "tone it down" for you.

HH

a double whammy of red face trouble-birthday and valentines day. i know how you feel, where i work they used to make a big deal of celebrating someone's birthday (thankfully they don't anymore) and i'd get embarrassed and go a nice shade of red. You really shouldn't quit your job over it though-you'll regret it the day after and you'll have the hassle of finding another job (which at this time of the year is going to be hard) and all the trouble that comes with that. just ride the day out and see it through, i know its hard and a pain the ass but what can ya do. see you on the other side. :D :oops: :D :oops: :D

marie26

a lot of aquariuses (that is not the right spelling...) in here! my birthday is the 17th. i think most people hate having he birthday song sung to them. i can relate to how u feel though, ive wanted to quit work because of social anxiety, even when im doing a job i love. funny how this stuff messes with your sense of priorities huh?

happy birthday by the way :)

krs2snow

Hi. Thanks so much for everyone's words of encouragement and understanding. I'm not really going to quit my job- I just wish I could!!! At least for the one day. I do realize I am making way, way, too big a deal out it. Now, if the knot in my stomach would just realize it too! :/

Last edited:

HH

yes, you're a fan of office space- great film, if you could just go ahead and do that for me, that would be greeaaattt! :D Actually sometimes to calm myself down in a stressful situation I think of scenes in funny films like office space. You could think about the scene where milton doesn't get any cake at the birthday celebration :D

krs2snow

Yeah HH, I was cracking up the other day because this woman I work with was going from cubical to cubical looking for her stapler. She'd seriously lost it and was asking other co-workers if they'd seen it or knew where it was! I said "Mary! Have you ever seen Office Space?" She said she hadn't and I didn't elaborate because you'd have to know Mary. She is literally the female version of Milton! (I'm not so sure she'd of found it so funny!) And get this- she's the file clerk! I swear to God! :p Hahahaha!

TAMPA-BAY

Birth day

Wow when I saw this post I just had to reply. My birth day is also a few days before valintines day and I work at the supermarket so Its alwayse hell because Its busy on that day and there are couuple every where smooching and cuddling. I hate that day with a passion.

To make matters worst the match makers will be out in full force.

HH

krs2snow said:
Yeah HH, I was cracking up the other day because this woman I work with was going from cubical to cubical looking for her stapler. She'd seriously lost it and was asking other co-workers if they'd seen it or knew where it was! I said "Mary! Have you ever seen Office Space?" She said she hadn't and I didn't elaborate because you'd have to know Mary. She is literally the female version of Milton! (I'm not so sure she'd of found it so funny!) And get this- she's the file clerk! I swear to God! :p Hahahaha!

thats inspired, a female version of milton-great. Does she wear big glasses. I love it.

krs2snow

Hello! She does in fact wear glasses! Not big but still. She is nutty. More so than me! She has a sweet heart but I can't get over how nosy she is! UGH! I don't mind someone asking a question cuz their interested but she asks to "gain information". Anyway, if they'd wanted a woman to fill the role of Milton- they could have taken actual footage of her at work! (I'm not being mean, she's just... Milton!)
BTW, have you ever watched The Office? Great, great show! Hilarious!
Also, still totally hung up on the B-day thing! At what age does this thing called life become easier???

HH

office space was on sky again last night so I had to watch it- again, i love that film... "if things go well I might be showing her my oh face, oh!, oh!, oh!, you know what I'm talking about, oh!" I'm going to use that line at work and see what reaction i get from the girls :D Yeah the office is a good comedy although i've never been a huge fan-are you referring to the british or american version.

Don't panic about the b day, just go with the flow. Unfortunately i'm getting close to 30 and life doesn't seem to be getting easier-in fact its getting a bit tough at the moment, oh well another day another dollar. :D

maggie

krs2snow said:
My B-day is on V-day and I am absolutely dreading that day! I have been freaking out for the last week thinking about it! At my work we have a Birthday Club in which they buy treats for everyone in my department when it's someones birthday. It's supposed to be a nice thing, you know? But I am freaking out because I do not want the attention on me! Not only is it my birthday but it's also Valentines day and I don't want anyone asking me about my relationship. I am panicking! I just know I am going to be bright red all day and feel so stupid! Last night I was contemplating how I could make myself sick and not go to work that day. Or I could take my vacation! Or I could quit! I was actually thinking I could quit my job and have no source of income just so I can avoid having attention on me! I am sooo nervous about it!
could you switch the shift with someone..so they could work your birthday and you could work one of their shifts? :wink: ..or..i know, this is bad advice.. perhaps you could call in *cough* sick :twisted:

Doomed2Die

You know... maybe i'm stating the obvious here but you could just not do it. Admittedly you may have to tell people before hand to prevent present mishaps but people should respect the point of not wanting to.

Personally birthdays simply annoy me, its like... a mockery of good intentions, with some exceptions I guess.

krs2snow

Unfortunately, I work a 9-5 type job and don't have the option to switch shifts. :cry: At the beginning of the year we had the option to say 'yes' or 'no' to joining the stupid birthday club. My department has only 16 people in it and everyone else chose to be in it. At the time, I felt it would be socially unacceptable to not participate so I signed up. This week the woman in charge of the "Club" sent an e-mail out to everyone stating each persons birthday- so there's no going back now. Should of just said "No thanks. Don't celebrate" but I didn't have the guts. I thought w/such a small department they'd all think I was totally weird & introverted- which they probably already think. I've definitely been contemplating calling in sick! Or dead- lol (not really funny but just kidding). But again, I feel like people will think I'm weird- like they'll know the real reason I called off. I already declined going to the two Holiday parties they had back in Dec. and almost everyone else went. It's soo stupid anyway! I just wish I didn't care and my stupid face didn't turn stupid bright red and there was no such stupid thing as stupid anxiety!! ARR!

HH-I've only seen the American version of The Office. And I think it's too funny!
"if things go well I might be showing her my oh face, oh!, oh!, oh!, you know what I'm talking about, oh!" I'm going to use that line at work and see what reaction i get from the girls
Ha! Do it- I dare you!

HH

this place where you work sounds massive-your department only has 16 people-that's loads, where i work there's about 16 people in the hole company. All these people must be a nightmare, god it must just be like the huge office in office space :D

If i was was in your situation i'd be worried as well, so your not the only one that thinks of these things, sorry this isn't helping. Do you tend to keep to yourself when at work or do you try and make some effort to speak to other people-even if its in a Lumburg voice, that's a start, that's greeaaattttt! :D

you could burn the place down at night-do a milton :D

krs2snow

I guess it is a pretty big office. There are about 350 employees in all. My brother works at a much larger company and so maybe that's why I view it as small. Do I keep to myself? Yes! I mean, I try to interact some but it's really hard when you start turning colors just because someone said "Hi". :oops: Probably I would say more if I did speak in a Lumburg voice! I wouldn't be being me so it'd be easier! Of course, I'd have the new problem of everyone thinking I was a freak for always talking like that. LOL.