botox didn't work

jay77

I got botox on my hands about two weeks ago and it hardly made a difference. There is only one small spot on my palm that doesn't sweat, but my fingers and around the sides of my hands still sweat. It made my hands so weak that I could barely write with a pencil or zipper up my coat. Those side effects are starting to wear off, but my hands are still very sweaty. The only difference is they don't drip like they used to.

Does anyone know anything else I can try? I literally tried everything from iontophoresis to drysol to natural remedies. Nothing has been working. I need something that treats my whole body because I have excessive sweating in like 5 different places. I also tried robinul, but stopped because it made my heart race and I could not sleep for more than 4 hours a night without waking up and not being able to fall back asleep.

I am in college as a nursing major and it makes everything extremely awkward. Also, I read on one of the posts here that sea salt could be could for sweating. Has anyone tried that?

ImNotMyIllness

I'm surprised that botox didn't work. Usually, what they'll do is put a talcum powder on your hands to reveal where you're sweating and apply the botox. I'm wondering how potent was the botox solution that they're using.
I had to go in before for a touch up and they applied on areas that they missed. I don't know where they applied the botox.

I have plantar HH but I get by with good leather shoes and socks.

Last edited:

aries86

I'm sorry to hear that Botox didn't work. I have not tried it before but I had generally heard good things other than, the procedure itself. I had been inclined to try it. I also had trouble with Robinul as it made me very dizzy and it didn't help much with the sweating. I feel your pain. I'm sure its extremely hard to deal with HH and nursing. Kudos to you for still not letting it stop you. I'm also at a similar point as you. I'm feeling very discouraged about treatments since nothing has worked. I recently saw something about laser treatments for HH that I plan to talk to my Dr. about when I see him next. However, I do try to do certain things that decrease the sweat. My favorite one (that works for me, but maybe not others) is cutting out caffeine. Of course it didn't completely take away my sweating but I feel that it may have helped just a bit. I cut it out completely almost 3 years ago. I don't know if thats something that you drink or not. Just a thought...

CharlesN

I had it done twice and it never completely stopped the sweating, but did seem to make it a bit better. Not way better though.

Sorry to hear about the weakness in the hands and such.

Hope u find something that works for you.

jay77

thanks for the responses!

@aries when you took robinul did you notice a racing heart or increased anxiety? robinul is the only thing that has been able to stop my sweating everywhere, but I can't deal with a pounding heart 24/7

aries86

I didn't really notice anything with a racing heart. But, its ironic that you ask about increased anxiety because I started taking it during a time in my life recently that involved high-anxiety. So, it would be hard to say if it was the medicine or just me. I experienced anxiety but I hadn't thought about it at the time as being caused by the medicine like I did the dizziness. It would be interesting to know if it had been me or the meds, causing increased anxiety.

Jezza

I've also had botox injections in my hands twice, with more or less the same result; some spots dried up markedly but 'overall' my hands were still sweating badly. I've had the best results with ionto on my hands but as I too have pretty generalised HH it takes away from the motivation to do it regularly as the HH remains to give me about the same most important problems regardless of my hands being dry or not.