Can avoidant personality evince also on the net?

Marvolo

Hi everybody,

I wonder recently if the avoidant personality disorder can evince/show itself also on the internet. I mean not endeavoring to make new contacts even in the net. It may seem strange, I know - but this website is just for such people, isn't it? ;)

Maybe I has both things: the AvPD and the SA? Maybe it's quite possible?

It's curious and I'm interested if any of you has similar feeling.

Cheers. :)

Skog

I read posts here in this forum and some similarly-themed ones. It is not unusual to read a post from someone who says they have been lurking and reading for a long time and haven't posted anything. It is also not unusual to read descriptions by people of how they had written, edited, and deleted their message numerous times before finally posting something and they're embarrassed by it.

Is that what you mean? If so, then I would answer affirmatively that AvPD can be manifested in one's Internet behavior. The anonymity helps many feel free to say things they would not otherwise, but for some people, it's still not enough. Even though the readers won't know who they are, where they are, what they look like, whether they're rich or poor, what kind of job or education they have, those people are still afraid that the reader will think something bad about them and that inhibits what they post or stops them from posting at all.

Marvolo

Well, Skog, it's rather not that; maybe a bit...

I mean the difficulty in making any new contacts (even very loose ones) in the internet. I mean also that I pretty rarely chat on-line - it's astonishing, I think... And I finally mean nearly no need of making such contacts!

Maybe there are some personality tests and they can tell me what my personality is. It's curious what they are look like.

Cheers! :)

rado31

Hi there,

It certainly can im my case. I was very lonely due to SP and i was going to the irc chanells for years , although i dont beleive that i can trust completely to people that i m not seeing. They mostly saw me as a witty person, but also a childish. I was recently on one irc meeting, and first it seemed to me as a -loose atmosphere with a slight ammount of stupidish people involved- , when i come home i start panicking what kind of impression i leave on these bunch of people. I didnt have guts to see the group picture of us they made also . So, i tend to be nervous even online.

t0keR

whats avodiant personality disorder? yah i have SA even on the comp! if thats what ur asking. not on here rlly cuz yall r the same as me but like on myspace or im ehhh and i dont even hardly ever listen 2 my voicemail on my cell cuz i get nervous like my friends gonna be yelling at me ina message cuz i never answer and yesterday some guy called and left a messaged just sayin 2 call him back and i got so freaked out! i felt my face go red. imsopathetic lol but its ok 4 now

Warlock

I've found the same sort of thoughts make it difficult to email people or message people (like on Myspace) as they make it impossible to talk to them on a phone or in real life. It is easier for me to talk online because the lack of social skills (or the perceived lack of social skills) doesn't exist on the internet so much because you can take as long as you want to write something and use spell check and plan what you say and if you don't like it you can delete it. The exception of course would be in chat or IM, but it is still easier than talking to a person face to face or on the phone.

So, computers make it easier to talk to people, but the problems are still there.

Marvolo

Thanks, Skog, for the link of the test. It says I have surely not Borderline, Histrionic, Dependent and OCD disorder. 3 first ones haven't surprised me - these disorders are my right antitype. But the AvPD has at me only "moderate" degree, the same as e. g. schizotypal or narcissistic, which are surely not my disorders, I think. But it's only general test, not expert one, so the outcome can be such.

Cheers :)

qwerty77

Marvolo said:
Thanks, Skog, for the link of the test. It says I have surely not Borderline, Histrionic, Dependent and OCD disorder. 3 first ones haven't surprised me - these disorders are my right antitype. But the AvPD has at me only "moderate" degree, the same as e. g. schizotypal or narcissistic, which are surely not my disorders, I think. But it's only general test, not expert one, so the outcome can be such.

Cheers :)
Ty asshole założę się, że masz wszystkie te zaburzenia osobowości, a w szczególności, że jesteś narcyzem, hipochondrykiem, psychotykiem, schizofrenikiem, histerykiem i wariatem as well ;p

Marvolo

qwerty77 said:
Ty asshole założę się, że masz wszystkie te zaburzenia osobowości, a w szczególności, że jesteś narcyzem, hipochondrykiem, psychotykiem, schizofrenikiem, histerykiem i wariatem as well ;p

Ale to zabawne, nie ma co! :?
Qwerty77 dear, please do not write stupid texts, because it's really ridiculous for anybody reading them. Such a suggestion to you.
Cheers/Pozdrowienia. 8)

qwerty77

Marvolo said:
Ale to zabawne, nie ma co! :?
Qwerty77 dear, please do not write stupid texts, because it's really ridiculous for anybody reading them. Such a suggestion to you.
Cheers/Pozdrowienia. 8)
The same I can tell about your texts/posts. They are such dull like flaki z olejem and you write w kolko about the same. cheers

Marvolo

qwerty77 said:
The same I can tell about your texts/posts. They are such dull like flaki z olejem and you write w kolko about the same. cheers

Really? But they're not abusive as yours. :!:
And my topics are despite all very interesting and they relate to basic and important cases, and everybody can get profits from reading and discussing them!
It's a pity you don't get it, baby... :roll:
With regards,
M

Y

Marvolo said:
qwerty77 said:

Really? But they're not abusive as yours. :!:
And my topics are despite all very interesting and they relate to basic and important cases, and everybody can get profits from reading and discussing them!
It's a pity you don't get it, baby... :roll:
With regards,
M

I loved how you handled the situation ;)

Anyway, in fact as far as i know, if you have any problem chatting with people online, or having long term online friendships, then yeah you have AvPD, cos thats not what SP is about, SP is the fear of himuliation, in public, AvPD is the fear of having close frirendships, relationships with someone. I know some social phobic people (a few from this site) that have no problem at all with talking on the net, on msn, having online relationships, even cam chats and stuff...

So yeah AvPD can (definitely) cause you to avoid online friendships too.

Marvolo

Thanks... :lol:

Well, I'm actually convinced it's possible.

I've recently read on some other forum, that there are people with SA (but visibly with no avoidant personality...) who exchange their photos with some online friends. :!: I can't imagine such a situation!

Cheers to you! :)

psykid

Hmm, I believe it can. Though the people on the other side might not notice, but I do get very nervous replying to posts and stuff. I pretty much never last more than a week on any forum (But I hope it'll change here since everyone here's understanding and nobody's judging anyone). Strangely enough though, I have no problem submitting youtube videos with me in it, but I guess that's because I know I wouldn't care about the people who comment, since they're usually those one-time commenters. For some places where I visit often I tend to get more and more nervous the longer I'm there (Since that's when a deeper internet "friendship" start to develop). There were 2 times when I made internet friends for over 2 years, and I met them in real life (separately), after that I stopped talking to them on the net since I thought that they probably wouldn't like me anymore after meeting me in real life. Even now I still don't talk to them anymore. Also to be honest, my username here isn't the username I use everywhere else on the internet, because I'm afraid that people would judge me if they find out I probably have AvPD.

moonbow76

I certainly think it can...it's part of why I'm only now posting my first message here.

Just as in real life, I long for some connection with others, but I am also absolutely terrified by it. I have been trying to go to chat rooms lately, and I'm relatively OK until someone chats with me privately...then I'm scared to death. But isn't that what I went there for in the first place? Connecting with another human being? It's really no wonder I'm so lonely. :?

AdamWest

I do

Forums are easier because I can post and leave, I don't have to reply or care.

But, I don't talk to anyone on AIM or anything like that anymore, I used to play wow many a years ago, I enjoyed being around the people in the guild, but I rarely said anything.

Chatting online seems more stressful than in person, just don't come as naturally, someone replys to something and I stress out trying to think of things to talk about. Even people I know in real life I don't really talk to online.

Makes it worse also when I don't have any hobbies, and don't seem to care about getting to know about other people.

recluse

Marvolo said:
Hi everybody,

I wonder recently if the avoidant personality disorder can evince/show itself also on the internet. I mean not endeavoring to make new contacts even in the net. It may seem strange, I know - but this website is just for such people, isn't it? ;)

Maybe I has both things: the AvPD and the SA? Maybe it's quite possible?

It's curious and I'm interested if any of you has similar feeling.

Cheers. :)

I get contacts on various sites but most of them are usually short lived, becuause i feel that i am probably boring and that i am not worth keeping in touch with.