Can stress cause stomach pains?

Hoppy

Oh yes, I used to have lots of stress related stomach cramps.

Fortunately it has gone away, but I know when I feel a twinge that I must relax or pop pills.

Lilly789

YES it can - however it might have nothing to do with stress, it might be something else.

You really need to use a process of elimination and go to a doctor and get it checked out - if there is something else wrong and you just put it down to stress you could be in big trouble.

Ree

Yes. Whenever I get stressed about something or nervous, I will feel sick or get tummy pains. And it won't go away unless I change plans :p. I've found drinking a glass of wine to help. So as long as you don't rely on it and get a drinking problem.

I certainly think so. It's important to eat, though, as you don't want to have any problems from that.

Stress can also exacerbate any problems you're experiencing. When I was 14, I had a case of strep throat that progressed into Scarlet Fever and then spread to my stomach. For five years after that, I had a case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome where everything I ate caused me immense stomach pain. There was definitely a stress component to that.

The brain is pretty incredible. If you focus on a body part with enough thought, you can cause yourself to feel pain. I find that stress tends to manifest itself in different ways in the body, but can often target a particular place. I've had periods where my stress caused chest pain, stomach pain, pain in my side, arm pain, etc. I've been to the doctor and was given the all-clear, so I have to assume it's just a manner in which stress manifests in the body.

Earthcircle

Stress causes a broad range of physical symptoms that can resemble other medical conditions. For example, stress related myoclonus can even resemble epilepsy. That said, I think you should see a doctor anyway. You don't know that it's stress.

singing-love

Yes, it definitely can, I personally suffer from this stress related physical condition. Stress can effect the body in many ways causing all sorts of problems so it is a good idea to see your doctor just to be safe.

Kiwong

I think stomach pain is common in stress. When the body is stressed, anxious or fearful, one of the reactions is to empty the stomach contents to make us lighter so we can run faster from what we fear.

Fighter86

Yes I believe stress can cause stomach pain, though it does not happen to me. Usually I get dizzyness, sudden confusion and break out in a cold sweat.

darrens

I would say it can,but putting it down to stress doesn't sound like a great idea to me,stress can cause a lot of things,but nearly every type of internal pain could be put down to stress,you could have a stomach ulcer or something like that which won't go away without a doctor and stress would make it worse,i think if you are having strong pains putting it down to stress isn't too clever,check it out with a doctor.