Can you 'snap out' of it?

arlequin

I think you can get achivements and get better with not medical treatment or for not going to the therapist. At least that's my case. I think I'm much better than years ago but still a lot to be improved. It takes a strong will.
On the other hand I think we'll never get completely recovered (it deppends on the sp degree each one has of course) cause it's also a part of our personality and it's very difficult to make someone change his/her personality.

nicola_maire

well i sorta did.

i had a thing where i thought everyone hated me, n no where anywhere would like me, i even dowbted those people who call me n chase me? but i actualy get on with every one at work, luck, coinciadance? whatever. not really, i just stopped punishing myself for socail 'mistakes' and acccepted no one is perfect, theres no point trying to be, all you can be is you, you cant be that load girl other there, or that stud over here, all u can be is you, you can improve your own traits, you cant develop someone else's. everyone had there weaknesses, there worries, doubts, i bet everyone feel liek there shit socialy at times, the only difffernce is they accept it and move on. if u acccept it, rather than fight it, you'll find the results alot better. socialy, if you relax, and accept your you, and flow, it will eb so much easier than 'think! talk, god why arent i talkin'. if i dont feel like talking i wont, if i dont find something funny iw ont laugh, if im pissed of, (actualy im funny when im pissed off) but io just go with it.
just find yourselfs, dont compare yourself, where all so differnt, you'll never find your exact double, which your all longing to find, becasue you dont wanna accept your on your own with this.
im gonna right some thought tips.

sit ina busy place, if you physicly can to soem of you. look around, if need be watch and listen to a group of people talking. in most cases you'll have the load one, the cool reserved one, the person who adds to the convo now n then, and the person who says the most ridicualous things ever. but no matter which of those people they are, their equaly important to the group function. this is the same in the world, no amtter what you have to give or add, its what makes the world go round.

people will fuck you over, people will hurt you, horrible but thats life, its a race, n people wil trip you up to win it, the question is, do you cry and remain a victim wollowing in your own sadness, get up, and trip him up out of bitterness? or simply get up, and carry on your race, and eventual by accepting what happened, get to the finsih line.

IcanDoIt

it is IMPOSSIBLE to snap out of it.

it is a gradual process, it takes time.

its just like losing weight.

there will be a time where you are motivated to work out and curb those appetite, but there will be times when you binge and be a couch potato.

despite the setback, we continue our quest to lose weight and forget about the binges we had done and so forth..

Hellraising

arlequin said:
it's also a part of our personality and it's very difficult to make someone change his/her personality.

What do you mean personality? Do you mean that we're shy by nature? If so, you're very wrong. I am not shy at all. I was never shy. I used to be really outgoing and I loved attention and yearned for more. And now I have SA.

black_mamba

Hellraising said:
arlequin said:
it's also a part of our personality and it's very difficult to make someone change his/her personality.

What do you mean personality? Do you mean that we're shy by nature? If so, you're very wrong. I am not shy at all. I was never shy. I used to be really outgoing and I loved attention and yearned for more. And now I have SA.

Some people have had SP for so long we feel as if its part of our ingrained personality traits, but obviously for people who were struck down with sudden SP thats not the case. Personally being quiet is part of my personality as I've grown up with it so it'll be a gradual change if anything.

Oh actually I take that back - I smacked my head on a beam last week and I think it may have gotten rid of my SP. :lol:

arlequin

Hellraising,
When I said it's part of our personality I ment in my case (also in many people more). I had also said that it's possible to overcome it cause not everyone has the same degree. Some people have suffered it from always and in other cases has appeared at a certain moment of one's life.

believesomething

arlequin said:
Some people have suffered it from always and in other cases has appeared at a certain moment of one's life.

Hmm - now I have a new theory (possibly useless, but hey). Given that most of us agree / acknowledge that some people "snap into SP / SA", then I have a feeling the odd person probably does snap out of it!.

I'm not saying that this would be common by any stretch, but maybe, just maybe, the odd person does. Maybe it's someone who confronts their single biggest fear and realises it was nothing. Maybe it's someone who reads that one book, finds that one counsellor, has that one extreme treatment method, dreams that explaining dream. Nothing's impossible, right?

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it for now.

BelieveSomething.

Hellraising

believesomething said:
some people "snap into SP / SA"

Though it may seem that some "snap into SA", it actually is a really gradual thing. At least for me. As I look back now, I notice little minute changes that made me where I am now, but then it was nothing more than being a little more self concious. I started wearing make-up everytime I left the house, I spent more time in the bathroom as well as chosing my outfit, etc.

I think that everyone can see the little changes, if they try to think back hard, that lead to SA.

PS: BelieveSomething, I'm hoping that that is possible too.

believesomething

Hellraising said:
I think that everyone can see the little changes, if they try to think back hard, that lead to SA.

PS: BelieveSomething, I'm hoping that that is possible too.

Good! And I agree 100% with seeing the little changes - for me they started ages and ages ago, almost before I could spell anxiety.

Hmm - well done on starting this topic Hellraising & everyone for keeping it going - it's got me thinking loads and loads. Current thoughts are along the lines that even though 99.99% of people probably don't just snap out of it, many would experience some kind of key point, some kind of first change, the start of the "up". I wonder if this point can be conscious / deliberate, or if it just happens.... I don't know, I'm confusing myself at this point. More another time.

[Oh - and please let me know if the smacking your head on a beam plan worked for you, I'll be off to find a beam quick smart if it does :)]

BelieveSomething.

racheH

My problem is not myself- it is my family who are unwilling to take me to a therapist or get me medication. I have only been told that I do not really have a problem and that I will have to deal with it on my own
Maybe it would be worth a try to show them this site. Let them see how you feel and how it affects other people. If they see how serious it can get they might be forced out of denial. If they think it's just an exaggerated form of normal behaviour, it suggests to me that they actually have experienced it for themselves to some extent. No non-phobic person could believe that what I've described in my posts is normal behaviour or normal feelings :roll:
Either they think everyone gets it too, which I think many of us have done, and think you're just making a fuss; or they may know exactly what you mean deep down but are completely horrified to think that they've let it happen to you too. I know how terrified I get when my sister behaves a bit like I used to. I don't think she has it actually, but I know when I did see suspect behaviour I tried to deny it at first. It must be awful for a parent. Also, the more they deny it, the harder it must be to stop denying it, because that would mean accepting that they've failed you on two counts.

Whatever the issue is, don't take it personally. Parents' behaviour is never the child's fault. The child's own problems are rarely their own fault, too.