~Can You Switch Your Brain Off?~

ScaredGirl

Hi Black mamba,

In our house we call it 'the gerbils' ie: 'I've got the gerbils going tonight'.

This has been a problem since the end of grade 6 (age 12). When I was young I used to sleep with my radio on. This helped to force my brain to stop working. When I got to university the gerbils became a real problem because I was so exhausted during one final exam that I remembered nothing. Luckily the Prof was there, saw what happened and evaluated me on the years work rather then the 50/50 split it was supposed to be. He was quite concerned and expected me to address this problem which I did.

I got sleeping pills for exam time. Best thing I ever did. Since I did not want to spend my life on pills after about 2 sets of exams I started taking them on a 'variable interval rate' outside of exam time to try and retrain myself to sleep. It worked. I had realized that I was in the HABIT of staying awake at night. There was nothing wrong with my body, it was my brain. You see....night time in my house was dangerous so I had taught myself to stay awake for saftey reasons.....problem is that I could not stop it once I had left home.

Now that I am married and have done and ended the pill thing years ago, I find the gerbils will come back if I have coffee to late, or if something is bothering me. When this happens I a) sleep in the spare room (change of location really helps). If it's severe I'll b) sleep in the basement with the tv on, or the tv and lights on.

My husband accepts this quirk I have and as I age the problem is less and less. In fact, sometime I sleep in the spare bedroom just 'cause I can, not because I have to and that is really freeing. :D

SC

black_mamba

Hey ScaredGirl;

You're right about the change of location helping. Every so often I change the direction I face when I sleep and it has a amazingly positive effect on calming me into a better sleep.

The gerbils? As in a gerbils costantly running and running around a wheel? I like it! Think I'm going to have to adopt that phrase in the future. :D

ScaredGirl

Hi Black Mamba,

Yup, gerbils on a wheel is exactly what the image is supposed to be. My mum had another expression that I like. It's for when you don't know what to do with yourself. She called it '....being at x's and o's'. One would say 'I'm at x's and o's' when they didn't know what to do with themselves that day. The x is meant to represent equal choice with you at the center (like a road), the o represents walking around in and around. The two together means you have a *choice* to do either.

:D

SG

black_mamba

These are great, maybe you should make a compilation and sell them to poor unsusspecting tourists as an english phrase book. :lol:

Funnily enough I had a minor accident today; banged my head quite badly trying to jump around far too close to a door frame (I can jump high :p ) and my brain doesn't want to think anymore. I had to go into town today to pay some bills - didn't feel very nervous at all.

All I needed was a swift jolt to the head to sort me out...

(I wish). :wink:

Sue

i know its going to take me hours to sleep tonite. it always deos. sleep is so good for getting away from sp haed wrecking thoughts.

black_mamba

I've got the gerbils like fooking crazy, is this what taking speed is like?

Whoa, I've posted like mad, my post count has rocketed because I suddenly feel like I have stuff to say.

Whats happening to me...I'm turning into....a monster!

Frankenstein.JPG

No wonder I can't sleep, that damn bolt in my neck.

veryshy

I do that too. Though not every night, deffinatly not when Im just plum tuckered out, but it still takes me longer than most people to fall asleep.

I ALWAYS find myself playing out scenarios in my head. At work, at home, while driving, trying to sleep, WATCHING TV, EVERYWHERE.

In fact I just spaced for a minute and played a few scenarios out. :?

I can relate to the one who said they find themselfs binging up a point so distant from the actual subject that the person they are talking to feels like they totally missed the point. It usually comes from the fact that Ive thought about every detail of said subject before, I guess you couls say I am "way beyong them" (for lack of a better term) in terms of having thought about this subject.