can't even speak in front of a group...

helenrogers

Hi, I'm Helen, I'm 15, and I think I have SA. Ever since I've been a small child...I've been outgoing, outspoken, energetic, etc...until recently.

My high school career started in 2002 and I noticed a big change in my "outgoing"-ness once I had an ICE course (intro to chemistry something...I don't remember what the E stood for..but that's not important) and it required a few presentations here and there. I remember not really wanting to speak in front of the class but I did it anyway because I knew it was something I had to do. I didn't think much of this though. I figured it was the type of "stagefright" everyone experiences in their presentations and what-not. But it gets much worse.

My sophomore year began in 2003 and I had forgotten pretty much over the summer about the anxiety I would feel during presentations or anything of the nature. I was quickly and "severely" reminded a few weeks into the new year. I had a World Civ class and of course, one of the first things we did was reading out loud from our book. Now, in my earlier school years I LOVED doing this with a passion. But that day, when the open-your-books-and-turn-to-page-157 words escaped my World Civ teacher's mouth, I was engorged with panic and terror. And yes, he did the whole routine where he was just randomly calling on people (which made the situation that much more worse). I remember sitting in my seat experiencing the most horrific sensations and feelings. I could barely even see straight and my head was pounding with fear. He finally called on me, and I froze. I opened my mouth to speak and only the first two sentences came out. And then I just basically, excused myself and said that I had to go to the bathroom and that it was urgent. I had never felt so humiliated in my life.

Ever since that day, I've had numerous incidents similar to it happen. I'm an anxiety bomb now. I've tried looking up things to help me out on the internet and they are no use. Other problems have sprouted from this incident also. I have trouble with everyday communication such as answering the phone and carrying on a conversation, ordering at a restaurant (it's dumb because I always dread speaking to the waitress or cashier), and other situations. I have trouble eating in public because I feel people are watching me and thinking that I'm a pig. Even if I'm only eating a piece of gum or something. It's terrible and the list goes on and on. It's so bad that I've recently come to the conclusion that I either get some sort of a "doctor's excuse" for the rest of my high school career that excuses me from any sort of vocal projection or I just...basically...drop out. I'm at my wit's end and I don't want to feel panic or anxiety and I definitely am tired of being put into the awkward and terrifying situations at school. *siiiiiiiigh..* :(

shell

Hi Helen. Reading your post reminds me soooo much of when I was thirteen and my experience with SP. Like you I used to love reading in front of the class and while I didn't love presentations they didn't bother me too much. Then one day (I wonder now if I had had alot of caffeine that morning), when it was my turn to read out loud I started to freak out. I could feel my face getting all red, I started sweating like crazy and I couldn't breath. Also, I started getting really dizzy, and my vision got really blurry. In short, I was having a full blown panic attack and thought I was going crazy. I don't know why it came on so suddenly. Like you, my panic bagan to snowball and I started being anxious in more and more social situations.
I wish I had known about this website at the time because when I finally saw a psychiatrist he diagnosed me with OCD instead of SP. So I didn't get the info I really needed.
I would really suggest seeing a counselor or psychiatrist - one that specializes in anxiety disorders and knows alot about SP. And keep reading about it, here and in other websites. There is so much info about SP and I really truely believe that it can be overcome, if not completely at least alot - to where it no longer dominates your life.
If ever you want to chat just send me a PM.
God Bless and know that there are alot of people who are all fighting this like you.
Michele

helenrogers

Thanks, shell. Reading your reply really gave me a sense of relief...knowing that there was someone out there like me. I seriously thought I was the only one who had it as bad as I do. And I am definitely going to look into seeing a counselor or psychiatrist about all of this.

Anonymous

Hi Helen,
I am 16 and have been facing the same difficulties. It got so bad to the point where I just stopped going to school. I never even finished my second semester of this year. As for as school goes, you can always look into online school or independent study, or if your state has a High School Proficiency Exam, you can always take that. I would aslo recommend seeing a therapist or psychiatrist, therapy, although somewhat, seems to be helping in a way. I hope you can overcome your problem.

James

richkid

Presentation holy shit they are difficult to do. I have the sam prob and have attempted to aviod them, which is the worst thing you can do. Like most things practice makes perfect. Everyone gets nervous and people deal with it in different ways.

Key to presentations if you know you find it diffcult is to be prepared know
WHAT your saying
WHY your saying
WHO is it for ( audience)
and remember that they are there to get nfomationfrom you, you are in control. Relax, take your time. I don't mean to be patronising but thee are ways to reduce the anxiety and at te end of the day presetations aren't going to kill you.

Anonymous

reading phobia

you guys are not the only ones - and it is a real comfort to know other people have the same problems. I went through the exact same thing at school - I also used to love reading in front of the class until I was about 15 when one day the teacher asked me to read in front of the class and I experienced a full on panick attack. I couldn't read more than one sentence! I told her I had a sore throat... what makes me so angry is that she was so unhelpful - tried to force me to keep reading! And she kept calling on me in future classes - and the same thing would just happen over and over! Its now 10 years on and I am still scared of being asked to read out loud. Not only that but I have frequent panick attacks during social interactions, especially in formal situations like work. I am so tired of it, and think its about time to get it sorted!

Anonymous

I'm with ya

Helen, I am 19 years old and in college right now. I have the exact same situation you do. It started about my junior year in high school. Before that I could always read in front of the class or make a presentation. I did not want to do it sometimes, but I could do it pretty much with ease and no worries. But then, all of a sudden I could not do it anymore. I would get real redm faced, my mouth would dry up, my voice would shake, and I would sweat. I would drop classes in high school and college where I had to make a presentation. I still feel this way now even though I am trying to cope with it. I feel I am making some progess and it will take some time to cure my condition. I also have a problem talking to most people 1 on 1. If I see someone in a store or something I get real nervous and red. I pre-think the stores I go into so I will know if I will see anyone I know in there. Just hang in there. "Feel the fear and do it anyway." I have been trying to listen to that phrase lately. I have been thinking about dropping out of college, but I am going to hang in there.

Anonymous

I am 14 and yup I've been a VERY outgoing kid... till 6 years ago.
And things got very bad 2 years ago when I moved to Canada.

When I'm in school, I never talk. Whenever I stand up or walk, I feel cold and uncomfortable as if everyone is looking at me. So I wear a jacket even in summer. I can't stand up straight. I can't raise my eyes from the ground. etc etc.

Presentation was ok - I am very good at computer and internet-searching - I search for hours so I never run out of things to talk in presentations. And my ela teacher was nice - she rarely picked me to read etc. But I have a constant fear in presentations that I will say something funny due to my language difficulty. Yeah presentations do give me a hard time - my eyes gets blurry and my legs start to shake and I can't make eye contact and I can't speak loudly.

And at home. My mom is always telling me stuff etc - they don't understand me... If your parents do too - don't take them serious.

Do you blame yourself all the time and have low self-esteem? If you do, then you do have Social Anxiety Disorder - apparently you have done a lot of research. :D

Good luck.