Can't find answers !!!

medlam

Hi all

HH has made things so difficult for the last 10 years I am now 27 and stupidly it has taken this long to say enough is enough. I have done a lot of tests to determine an underlying condition (over active thyroid,diabetes) everything came back negative. I did a 5 day VMA urine test for phaeochromocytoma, which I had many symptoms but again came back negative.

Vitamin D was low and I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol, though I feel these are problems that arise from fully body HH and not the cause.

I saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with adult ADHD, he said if its not a ohysical problem it could be mental.it's really my last chance to find a reason.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with. ADHD ?
Do people believe this could be a cause, a form of anxiety ?

I'm ruining out of options and I need to restart my life I'm desperate for answers.

Many thanks

hyp-hi

There may not be a perfect answer or a cure at this moment. I don't have ADHD but I do have anxiety which definitely contributes to it. See if you can get the blood pressure down a bit. I find when it is high, it tends to make the sweating happen more easily.

Jezza

Hi all

HH has made things so difficult for the last 10 years I am now 27 and stupidly it has taken this long to say enough is enough. I have done a lot of tests to determine an underlying condition (over active thyroid,diabetes) everything came back negative. I did a 5 day VMA urine test for phaeochromocytoma, which I had many symptoms but again came back negative.

Vitamin D was low and I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol, though I feel these are problems that arise from fully body HH and not the cause.

I saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with adult ADHD, he said if its not a ohysical problem it could be mental.it's really my last chance to find a reason.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with. ADHD ?
Do people believe this could be a cause, a form of anxiety ?

I'm ruining out of options and I need to restart my life I'm desperate for answers.

Many thanks

Sounds pretty familiar. I have no ADHD diagnosis but I recognize some of the symptoms in me. I've decided not to pursue any official 'mental' diagnosis of any kind cause all it does IMO is put a label there without any real solutions to change anything...that is I've never heard about someone who cured his/her HH through mental therapy and many people who have gone through therapy without avail.

That said I definitely think I have some social anxiety, but is it due to the HH or a result of the HH? That's the never ending question. There have been a few things in my life that may have caused social anxiety (some bullying by a psycho kid in my street when I was a kid for instance, I never understood why back then which is probably the big issue but later the guy turned out to be gay and probably couldnt handle it...I think now everytime someone gives another crap for nothing there's almost always something about themselves they don't like) but still...If HH was caused by social phobia why are there so many people out there with SA but without HH.

FWIW the few scientific studies that have been carried out on this issue generally say there are no more mental issues in people with HH compared to control groups.

Personally I think HH might be caused by anxiety due to chronic exposure to some kind of stress (social or otherwise) in childhood while the body is still developing, kind of making 'sympathetic overactivity' the default setting...but I don't see any way to impact that retroactively with mental therapy.

It could also still well be a purely physical thing IMO.

medlam

Thanks for your advice/help. I too am sceptical about my ADHD causing HH but I've tried most solutions with no help so trying this medication for a few weeks maybe worth it and it may help me in other ways

I believe,for me anyway, the social anxiety came after the HH, I had a good social group and was always involved in stuff but after I became aware of my sweating all that stopped.

I don't like the thought of there being no cause or cure for obvious reasons but also because surely something is affecting us,

it can't just be something we have to deal with, and make the most out of, is that what you guys have come to accept ?

I spending a lot of time and money trying to get to the bottom of this and to be told at the end, deal with it is a ****ing nightmare!!!

Also phaeochromocytoma (crazy name) is something people might want to look at, I didn't have it or so the tests siad, but I feel the symptoms are the closet I've seen that describe my situation and from what I've read on here,other people.

hyp-hi

Personally I think HH might be caused by anxiety due to chronic exposure to some kind of stress (social or otherwise) in childhood while the body is still developing, kind of making 'sympathetic overactivity' the default setting.

This is a very interesting theory! I'm not sure about if it would be caused by childhood stress, but the sympathetic overactivity default setting is a perfect description! I feel like that is the case quite often.

I've had this theory as to why some people see thrill activities such as roller coasters and bungee jumping as fun while others see it as terrifying. I think those who do like these activities have a low "flight or fight" default so an adrenaline activity like this feels good. On the other hand, for those of us who already have that heightened feeling all the time, these activities are not fun because it causes too much of that feeling.

It would be interesting to take a survey on this issue.

Do those of you with HH like or dislike thrill activities like the ones mentioned above?

Jezza

Thanks for your advice/help. I too am sceptical about my ADHD causing HH but I've tried most solutions with no help so trying this medication for a few weeks maybe worth it and it may help me in other ways

I believe,for me anyway, the social anxiety came after the HH, I had a good social group and was always involved in stuff but after I became aware of my sweating all that stopped.

I don't like the thought of there being no cause or cure for obvious reasons but also because surely something is affecting us,

it can't just be something we have to deal with, and make the most out of, is that what you guys have come to accept ?

I spending a lot of time and money trying to get to the bottom of this and to be told at the end, deal with it is a ****ing nightmare!!!

Also phaeochromocytoma (crazy name) is something people might want to look at, I didn't have it or so the tests siad, but I feel the symptoms are the closet I've seen that describe my situation and from what I've read on here,other people.

"it can't just be something we have to deal with, and make the most out of, is that what you guys have come to accept ?"

Never. The whole idea of 'hey everybody sweats and you just do more than others' is complete BS to me...the whole HH experience to me is not just being on the tail end of a bell curve, it's way beyond that and also just in a different way than normal sweating. I too think that it is a problem that can potentially be solved if the 'medical world' would be serious about solving it.

"...phaeochromocytoma..."

Yeah I had this test a few years ago...came back normal for me as well. The symptoms are very similar to what my experience is but well, negative is negative. I still think it could be something like this but with hormones/neurotransmitters that are not known yet or whose action is not fully understood yet.

I also got tested for thyroid problems, carcinoid syndrom (serotonine) and cushing's (ACTH, cortisol). There were some minor irregularities with the thyroid and cushing's test (thyroid my TSH was a bit too high while the other hormones where whithin the normal range, this is not serious and actually points to potential hypothyroidism development so contrary to what you'd expect, as for the cortisol it was too high after dexamethasone suppression test but not so high to suggest actual cushing's) but not so badly to clearly point to a definite cause of HH. I also got tested for type 1 diabetes and the test at first actually came back as clearly positive...appointments were made to learn about what to do with it, but a second test to confirm was then negative :idontknow:. Weird I know...Doc said they probably made a mistake at the lab or suggested I ate something instead of fasting like you have to for a test but obviously I didn't. My grandfather had type 1 and apparently there is something called transient diabetes...but well, docs took no further action.

All in all, the conventional underlying causes that are known so far were pretty much excluded...for the most part anyway.

So yeah...I still think about things I can do about it a lot and sometimes buy some stupid products like you say :eek:h: but I feel I've done about all I can do without a research lab at my disposal, so...anybody has any ideas how to get one of those?

medlam

So Jezza

Appreciate your answers and feedback you seem like a clued up guy who knows what's he talking about and is good at giving people and myself advice. After all this my question how do you cope?

It's made living my life so difficult. Jobs and working is very hard in fact I've been out of proper work for nearly 5 years, and having romantic relations impossible, my social skills like eating out with friends or a dinner party or even going to the pub or club is a lottery, sometimes due to alcohol I do ok other times I have to make my excuses and leave, which results in me not being asked back out again, painfull viscious cycle.

What makes it worse is that before HH fully kicked in I had a taste of real life not having to worry not having to base everything from what to wear to how I get to place on sweating.

Have you just come to accept it?
How do you cope?

Jezza

So Jezza

Appreciate your answers and feedback you seem like a clued up guy who knows what's he talking about and is good at giving people and myself advice. After all this my question how do you cope?

It's made living my life so difficult. Jobs and working is very hard in fact I've been out of proper work for nearly 5 years, and having romantic relations impossible, my social skills like eating out with friends or a dinner party or even going to the pub or club is a lottery, sometimes due to alcohol I do ok other times I have to make my excuses and leave, which results in me not being asked back out again, painfull viscious cycle.

What makes it worse is that before HH fully kicked in I had a taste of real life not having to worry not having to base everything from what to wear to how I get to place on sweating.

Have you just come to accept it?
How do you cope?

Yeah well pretty similar in fact...though I try to the things I would have without HH as much as possible anyway. I do use ionto which helps a bit, but with the generalised HH, it's still a big problem. As for socially the biggest challenge is with chicks obviously, the whole sweaty thing is just not comfortable physically, plus it makes you seem nervous and be nervous. Now at the risk of getting a bit cynical here I also feel like it causes 'mismatch' situations. You know I subscribe to the theory on the TV show friends that people who are a 'number from 1 to 10' should generally end up with someone within 2 points of their own number -yes I know this is shallow and cynical to say but let's face it, it's reality-. The sweating kinda knocks a few points of what you'd normally be, so you end up with a potential pool of chicks that uhm...have some flaws as well. I find it difficult to really see myself be happy in that situation cause when you run into the limitations I'll either get annoyed by myself or by her or the whole situation and it's just not good for anybody. So because I'm not really a douchebag despite of the above maybe suggesting I am, I usually avoid that whole scenario. This of course does mean that relationships beyond a bit of flirtation are nearly impossible and yes, so far non-existent.

As for other things I think I manage quite well to have a pretty 'normal' life although in any activity, the HH plays a negative part as anyone who has it will know. But I have a group of friends I hang out with, go to the occassional dinner or festival etc...I play sports regularly outside on saturdays with a bunch of guys, I studied abroad for a semester which was awesome even with the HH (without would be that much more awesome but that's how it is)...I really go out of my way sometimes not to avoid things I'd normally like to do for HH reasons and usually that turns out to be the right choice.

Jobs are a bit more difficult, I finished college 1,5 years ago (already deliberately taking some extra years to do some other courses as the job prospects in finance looked bleak) but obviously job interviews are a tough one. I'm unemployed now but I'm actually not too worried about that right now, think it'll sort itself out in time, just a matter of one interview going my way...(hey who knows, someone might find my sweatyness endearing and be able to look through it to see that for lot's of jobs in finance it really doesn't matter in the day-to-day stuff you actually have to do). Alternatively I think I might just take up another study entirely cause I was never really that into Finance anyway, it just seemed like a pretty broad decent study at the time I had to choose and I liked the movie Wallstreet with Charlie Sheen. It would suck to have another few years of limited cash at this age but well...probably still be a good bunch of years left to live afterwards and given the trouble with the ladies it's not like I'll have to provide for children anytime soon.

All in all I guess I haven't really accepted HH as something that some people just have and have to deal with and is 'normal' in any way, cause that would imply I'm not looking to see some kind of cure out there anymore. I have accepted that I have HH for the moment however and that all one can do is maximise what you have at the moment no matter how bleak that is...which I do admit sometimes feels really really bleak, which makes making the effort pretty hard. I guess I kind of try (and in some cases fail) to do the things necessary to live for the day that a solution becomes available, which I still (perhaps unrealistically) feel is possible in the next few years, so that when the solution comes I'm ready (enough) to step right in and take advantage of it and there's not too much slack that has to be picked up first.

So yeah...I kind of cope by being optimistic about the future, eventhough as I'm about the same age as you I also see it dwindling before my eyes sometimes.

Last edited:

NickM

I just keep on going. Sometimes I don't feel like doing some things due to my HH, but I do my best to not let it reduce my life. I'm getting married on Saturday to a beautiful woman, and my sweatiness doesn't bother her one bit. We laugh and joke about it together sometimes. Other times I talk to her about how much it bothers me and she's always there to listen and make me feel better. I truly believe that when it comes to love, you need to be open and honest with the people you meet. Finding the right moment to tell the person you are dating can definitely be tricky, but if he or she is worth keeping around they won't mind anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sprawling

The woman I'm dating couldn't care less about my hand sweating. It's not an issue with every person one dates.

NickM: Best of luck to you and your bride!

WetPalms

I have ADHD and hyperhidrosis,
I've looked into this quite a bit and while it's possible, it is very unlikely that the two are related, you just got lucky with two different conditions.

ADD is actually caused by an underactive dopamine system, that is why you are prescribed stimulants such as ritalin or dexedrine, they work in a manner similar to coffee to get your dopamine levels back up to a normal level of functioning.
Basically, someone with ADD's brain is understimulated and so they act out or get distracted easily in an attempt to get that extra stimulation.
For that reason, ADD if anything would make you less likely to suffer from HH rather than more likely.

It is possible that an overactive dopamine system could cause HH, and so excessive sweating is a possible side effect of ADD medication - which is something to keep in mind if you are diagnosed with it, but it wont happen for everyone who takes it, so no harm in trying.

medlam

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. Jezza you help alot and appreciate everything you have to say.

Do you guys sweat in other situations like non social? Walking to the shops or lying in bed ? When surely there can be no anxiety or social
Pressure that increases sweating ? Most doctors or 'professionals' seem to spend a lot of time explaining about anxiety and breathing techniques but don't really understand times when there seems to be no trigger for sweating.

The guy who's girlfriend dosnt mind and listens to his experiences, is pretty lucky I would have thought girls would be really put off, I'm sure they are,but good luck to him.

Also after 10 years of only telling a couple doctors an no one else, I told my parents, they've been really positive and supportive and I now feel like I wish I'd told them a long time ago, any advice I would give would be tell your family because they can really help and HH, for me anyway, can feel real ****ing lonely! So it's good to have some support.