Career change

AsTimeBurns

So I feel like I need a career change already. Been working as a web devleoper for 6 months, but I can't take it much longer, it's so dull and the sitting staring at code for 8 hours a day is killing my head and neck and i'm always in a lot of pain most of the day.

Problem is, I have no idea what else to do. I studied computing at uni for 3 years so I could get a job like this and now I hate it :/ I'm not really qualified for anything else.

Anyone else changed careers completely? Any thoughts/advice?

Hoppy

A while ago I read a article about sport, and one of the people said that in sport there is such a lot of work that is about sport that isn't about doing the activity (think agents, therapists, press etc. )

In computers there is also lots of jobs that isn't just about coding. So every time you work at your computer, look around and see what the other people are doing, and maybe you will find your niche.

And I'm sure computers were not your only subject at Uni.

AsTimeBurns

Yes they were, we don't do a major/minor system here, you just study one thing, which was Computing for me.

So I feel like I need a career change already. Been working as a web devleoper for 6 months, but I can't take it much longer, it's so dull and the sitting staring at code for 8 hours a day is killing my head and neck and i'm always in a lot of pain most of the day.

Problem is, I have no idea what else to do. I studied computing at uni for 3 years so I could get a job like this and now I hate it :/ I'm not really qualified for anything else.

Computer trainer/teacher?

nopark

I'm also a web developer and I've suffered from the same sort of symptoms you described. At least for me it wasn't about the career/industry, it was about the specific jobs I was doing. I was getting burnt out.

I had nearly had enough, I was just inches away from quitting everything and doing something completely crazy. Then I got an opportunity to take on a more important role, which included me moving from my working-at-home job to a physical office location. Changed my life :) The job became much much more interesting and rewarding, and the human interaction helped me with my SAD.

Anyway, if you're good at what you do then I'd suggest checking out different jobs rather than entirely different careers. Any job can be boring and monotonous, you'll always need to find something you like regardless of what it is.

Lexington

Banned
as others said maybe branch out into related field...eg. technical support...do more training for that perhaps.
You shouldn't have to do exactly the same task all day. That's criminal!