cats and ocd

meme

does having a pet help your ocd? make it worse? i just got a cat and im not adjusting as well as i thought.

krs2snow

I think you should give it more time. They can be a lot of fun as you get to know their personality and quirks! I don't know how they are as far as helping ocd, but depression- they will help!

indigo91

cat

I love cats they are great company.For helping ocd,I dont know I ended up wiping my poor cats feet off everytime he came out of the litter box.Or wiping him off if any one came over and touched him. But if your ocds like not germs or cleaning type stuff,A kitty might be helpfull.

Badger42

Well. There are service animals for OCD they are generally dogs. I have one. It helps. The idea is to face the OCD and then the anxiety stops. Just get used to the anxiey!

agileN8

i was in the hospital(only for 8hours a day) for 5 weeks when i first was diagnosed, since they really had no idea what was going on with me. afterwards, i was on disability for about three years, and my cat was the best company. he is very social and the breed that he is are inclined to pick one human as there bud......luckily he chose me. for the longest time he and i would spend each day together, since i was too scared to even leave the house for awhile. if it weren't for him, i would have been left alone with my thoughts and that wouldn't have been a good thing. so ya, i think they are a great thing. i owe him a a lot due to his company during those sad days.

now i'm much better. far from cured, if that is even possible, but much more functional.

on a side note, this is the first time i've had the courage to talk about my ocd in a forum. i have read a lot of different forums, and learned that i share some things with people who post. i felt compelled to write here, since this post triggered happy memories of an otherwise difficult time.