Challenge is Good/Blushing

MelissaQu

I thought I'd share this with you. When I began therapy about 6 months ago my therapist gave me this to read:

"The brain thrives only by going beyond itself. Going beyond the known and the certain. Only through the process of struggle and engaging in a challenge-and I mean engaging, really grappling with something substantive-do we pitch the brain into a positive emotional balance. Satisfaction doesn't come without struggle. We have to wrestle life to the ground. It all happens because of the nature of the left pre-frontal cortex. That's where we park our goals so that we can have regular access to them, so that they can motivate us over a long haul. When we are working towards goals and anticipating them, we activate the mental machinery that generates positive emotions and-this is crucial-simultaneously subdues negative emotions."

I've also read through a book called "Living Fully with Shyness & Social Anxiety," which has helped a little since there's an entire section in the book about blushing. They tell you ways of approaching these situations differently.

There's actually a word for the "fear of blushing" and it's called Erythrophobia.

I hope that was helpful to some of you. I'm still working on it but I have gotten at least a little better.