Changing My Look

xDreamseller

I feel like I want to outwardly reflect myself more than I have in the past. I've never really expressed myself outwardly before, which I blame on my shyness. My bedroom used to have plain blue walls with no posters/paintings or even a design. My hair and clothes don't say anything about me, they are generic t-shirts and jeans just there because I have to wear clothes. I have very little creativity, despite being left handed. (Apparently we are supposed to be more creative)

I blame this lack of self expression for why I find it hard to meet new people that I actually have things in common with.

Any ideas on things that are easy to change but aren't too radical? (I'm not getting a full body tattoo and piercing my ear in 12 places. I definitely don't want to look like that, but you get what I mean).

xDreamseller

Custom eye contacts sound cool, but more for a Halloween thing. (I immediately though of weird ones, not just different colors). I'd been thinking about hair, although I'm not sure what to go for. I have a pretty large head :mad:

Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

fishface19

Custom eye contacts sound cool, but more for a Halloween thing. (I immediately though of weird ones, not just different colors). I'd been thinking about hair, although I'm not sure what to go for. I have a pretty large head :mad:

Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

Have you tried circle lenses? I think they look pretty cool, and I'm sure you'd look awesome in them :) maybe not for everyday use but certain occasions..

Phoenixx

You sound exactly like me, dreamseller. When I had my old room, it also used to have plain blue walls, except I only had a few posters on the walls. Still, nothing special. When my brother moved out a year and a half ago, I immediately took his room and completely redid it to what I wanted: light lime green walls. I don't have any posters anymore, but my furniture makes up for it a bit. (white wardrobe, dark magenta bookshelf, lime green lamp, black desk lamp, mini table with chocolate brown cloth with multicolored leaves on it, etc.)

As far as expressing myself outwardly through looks, I've broken out of my shell quite a bit within the last 2 years. I still can't manage to break out as much as I want, but it's all about baby steps. My hair is now brown (it used to be dark blonde, and it was starting to turn gray), and since it's naturally curly I have it layered, with side swept bangs. It's long, but not too long, about 3 inches past the shoulder. I wear a little bit more makeup (foundation, concealer, and mascara; before I wore none) but I keep it natural. I still wear a lot of jeans, graphic tees, tanks, and hoodies, but I also wear more nicer tops, sweaters, and layered clothes. I still can't manage to wear skirts or dresses much, but I'm not much of a girly girl anyway.

One thing I've found easy to change, while still attempting to make a statement is with your shoes. I used to be purely a sneaker person, but now I wear different types. I have a set of blue (yes, blue blue) KangaRoos, light blue Converse, pink plaid Converse, black crochet ugg-type boots with puffballs on them (they're super comfy!), and black strappy sandals (with 3 inch heel). So they're not HUGE statements, but still better than the basic sneaker. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I needed the change.

So that's basically what I've done within the last two years. It's taken (and still taking) me a long time to change my look. Even though it's nothing too drastic, I still feel a lot different than I was. Hope that helps you. :)

xDreamseller

Your room sounds pretty cool. Light green looks awesome with darker furniture. I used to wear sneakers too, although once I got my converse, that's all I wear. I'm in quite a good position to change myself now, as In a month or two, I'll be heading back to uni. (I dropped out this year after a few weeks, as I didn't like my course, so I am waiting till this year to start a new course) All my friends are over in England/Scotland (I'm still in Northern Ireland) and I so, I don't see the few actual friends I had anymore. So, it's pretty much a fresh start for me come September, so I can be whoever I want. Well, I say that but know I won't change that much.

I really love the whole emo/scene style, so I'm thinking something along those lines. Right now, you'd think I was some goody little church choir boy by looking at me and I want to change that, as it REALLY isn't who I am at all.

I was thinking something like this, as it's not too "out there", yet still different enough. My hair is pretty thick (bushy is probably a better term) but only half as long. My hair is a kind of dirty blond? I guess it's called. Not sure about dying it black, but do you reckon this style NEEDS to be black? Any pictures I've seen have all been black.

emohairscene.png

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

Hair can make one of the biggest changes and it's cheaper than changing out your entire wardrobe.

So-- surf google images for something that you think reflects who you are and consider if your hair can actually do that.
-- if not; think of alternatives you can try to have a similar effect.

as an example; I always loved short hair on girls and wanted to keep mine very short. My hair is extremely thick and the shorter it is-- the more unruly it is.
So, although I like short hair more and feel it matches my personality more than long hair- I have to keep my hair long so that it doesn't look like I crawled out of a dumpster.
No amount of hair product or hours of straight ironing would fix it- but with long hair, it stays fairly flat and wavy naturally.

Hair colour can do alot, too.
I say, you should just take time to experiment and find your hairstyle/cut/colour.
Find some inspiration.

xDreamseller

If I dyed my hair black and didn't like it, how long would it take to get it back to being the dark blond it currently is? Would it ever really return to it's natural color?

(I'm a guy that's never died his hair and knows nothing about it. As a kid I always just had it the same length all over, really short. As I got older I grew it a bit, had a fringe down to my nose a few years ago, although never actually styled it. Fashion and hair styling has never even been near my priority list, never mind top of the list)

How much could I expect to pay for the cut? And how much extra would the dye be? Just a ball park figure. I don't have a clue. (I realize this isn't some fashion forum, but ehh, my self consciousness exacerbates by shyness)

Last edited:

GhastlyCC

If I dyed my hair black and didn't like it, how long would it take to get it back to being the dark blond it currently is?
Depends on what type of dye you use.
What type of shampoo you use.
How you wash it.

Would it ever really return to it's natural color?
Yes.
Most likely.

Try temporary/semi permanent dye.
It washes out rather quickly....in a few washes

DON'T strip it if you don't like it.
You might fry your hair.
Which i'm sure you really wouldn't like.lol

Last edited:

xDreamseller

I think I'll try the most temporary dye I can find on monday, as I am off all week and don't have to go out until the following monday if I hate it that much. :)

THeCARS1979

I already changed my look plenty, I had a hair transplant, lost 35 pounds and gained an inch and a half. Not to mention 21 sessions of Neurofeedback

Phoenixx

I was thinking something like this, as it's not too "out there", yet still different enough. My hair is pretty thick (bushy is probably a better term) but only half as long. My hair is a kind of dirty blond? I guess it's called. Not sure about dying it black, but do you reckon this style NEEDS to be black? Any pictures I've seen have all been black.
^ Hey, that's a pretty neat hairstyle. I like it. :) I think it would look good in dark brown too, though, not just black. Not to mention I think dying your hair a darker brown would be easier than going black.

If I dyed my hair black and didn't like it, how long would it take to get it back to being the dark blond it currently is? Would it ever really return to it's natural color?
^ If you go black permanently, I'm pretty sure you can't go back to your natural hair too easily, at least I think it would take a while if your hair is lighter...? This is only my theory though, as I'm not the best with dyes either (I get my hair done by a friend of my mom's, I never do it myself). Definitely use temporary dye though if you want to try out black hair. That way, if you don't like it, it'll wash out easy.