Changing your style

Gray

I've been back working now the past 3-4 months, and while in fairness it isn't going perfectly well i am essentially coasting along. My anxiety the past few weeks has been flaring up something chronic, but it was mainly a mixture of being at work, being fixated with a girl i can't have and also pondering a change.

It was my birthday a few weeks back, and it was as uneventful as ever, but after it was all over i just went back to thinking "You know, i really want to change everything about me to, well, not be me anymore..."

So, after having a particularly bad day one Monday i decided to go down to the superstore and buy some alcohol. To an everyday man this might not seem like a big deal - but for me, i don't drink alcohol. The last time i even touched the stuff was about 4 years ago at a works Christmas party and even then i wasn't drunk, merely a wee bit "tipsy".

But, i had heard from various sources that whisky was something which relaxed you, or at least kept the anxiety at bay. This was my first time of even trying the harder stuff, but i also had other considerations. I didn't want to consume vast quantities of it, because i drive. So i would only generally have a miniscule amount.

I didn't particularly want it to come to buying alcohol, and in fairness it hasn't really done anything. My family had a long line of alcoholics, it was essentially that which gripped my dad and pretty much killed him over the years, hence my reluctance for getting "a taste" for it. My anxiety would still flare up before starting work (Again, because i would be entering the building, and then later in the day seeing the girl whom i like so very much, yet once again, can't have (aka, getting crushed)).

Because the whisky bottle would be in my car, i would take small amounts of it before starting my shift at work, maybe a swig or two. But, if anyone was around i would end up feeling like a right hobo, and i would be embarrassed at it having to come to that.

So, while the alcohol was a failure, i opted to go down a slightly more positive route rather than ingesting poison into my body. A new wardrobe. I'm a relatively big guy, so stylish clothes are very hard to come by, and those that are fairly stylish come with a nice hefty price-tag.

But i bit the bullet, i decided i wanted to feel good, and the clothes that i previously wore just weren't doing me any good. So i purchased some clothes online and had them sent over to me, i ended up spending about £150-200 over the course of the week just to find some decent pants and new pair of shoes.

The clothes (but not the shoes!) arrived last week and i felt good in them. The only problem was this: Work. For the past few months, virtual strangers to me have become collegues, and even friends. I would basically wear the same stuff day in, and day out (Mainly rotating).

My first day of wearing the new clothes was an absolute nightmare. Well, for the first 30minutes. I got into the carpark of work and started panic'ing thinking i made the wrong choices in wearing new clothes. I reached for my now near-empty bottle of whisky only to relise that a lot of people where starting to walk past. I couldn't drink it infront of them. My anxiety was getting even higher now relising they weren't going to be leaving anytime soon.

I had to go into work, without the aid of the temporary drink solution. I ended up being a bag of nerves. Whats more, the minute i walked into my department i seen one of my "collegues". I opened the door and he glared at me, i died inside thinking "Oh god dammit. He relised, and by that long glare he is probably having a giggle about it now".

Worse was to come though, because i was slightly late due to waiting for the crowd of people to go in the carpark, all the seats in work were taken. So i had to stand up, infront of everyone for about 10-15minutes waiting for a place to sit when people where going home. It. Was. Awkward.

Then, my anxiety in an instant flew away. The girl-whom-i-like-but-can't-have came up behind me, suprised that it was me because i was wearing a lot of new stuff. From anyone else i would have taken it as a negative, but she is a very friendly smiley person, and i knew she mean't it, i felt a lot better after that...

Now, a week in, i'm enjoying my new clothes selections, but i am now wanting to go onto step 3 of my changes. Changing my hairstyle. Back about 5-7 years ago i changed my hairstyle, and i was really happy about it, but eventually i let it grow out and get cut, and i ended up losing the style.

I tampered a bit, so much so that i decided to look into proper grooming of the body and hairstyles (Thanks Youtube!), this mean't things like doing eyebrows and using proper facewashes and things - But on a more evident note, using hairgels.

Sadly i've not mastered the use of hairgels yet, but it maybe insignificant because i want to get it cut by a proper hairstylist, and recoloured. This will be a massive change for me, it has been a long time since i have taken the leap into getting a hairstyle - My problem is that i could never emulate the same hairstyle which the stylist did, so i would end up looking more of an idiot for not doing it right.

While i still feel an air of negativity around me, i just feel like making these small baby-steps towards changing myself can help me in the long run, minus the alcohol. I will probably finish the bottle someday (hey, i bought it! i can't throw away things willy-nilly!) knowing that was a failed experiment, but everything else i feel i can push positively towards.

D

deleted user 1

Be very careful about changing your persona, if you do not deal with your real issues, you'll be lost in a world where you cease to understand who or what you really are. The psychological ramifications of these failures can be devastating to you on an apocalyptic scale. Not to discourage you at all, just don't want you to fall into the same trap I did.

Surrogate

I've been back working now the past 3-4 months, and while in fairness it isn't going perfectly well i am essentially coasting along. My anxiety the past few weeks has been flaring up something chronic, but it was mainly a mixture of being at work, being fixated with a girl i can't have and also pondering a change.

It was my birthday a few weeks back, and it was as uneventful as ever, but after it was all over i just went back to thinking "You know, i really want to change everything about me to, well, not be me anymore..."

So, after having a particularly bad day one Monday i decided to go down to the superstore and buy some alcohol. To an everyday man this might not seem like a big deal - but for me, i don't drink alcohol. The last time i even touched the stuff was about 4 years ago at a works Christmas party and even then i wasn't drunk, merely a wee bit "tipsy".

But, i had heard from various sources that whisky was something which relaxed you, or at least kept the anxiety at bay. This was my first time of even trying the harder stuff, but i also had other considerations. I didn't want to consume vast quantities of it, because i drive. So i would only generally have a miniscule amount.

I didn't particularly want it to come to buying alcohol, and in fairness it hasn't really done anything. My family had a long line of alcoholics, it was essentially that which gripped my dad and pretty much killed him over the years, hence my reluctance for getting "a taste" for it. My anxiety would still flare up before starting work (Again, because i would be entering the building, and then later in the day seeing the girl whom i like so very much, yet once again, can't have (aka, getting crushed)).

Because the whisky bottle would be in my car, i would take small amounts of it before starting my shift at work, maybe a swig or two. But, if anyone was around i would end up feeling like a right hobo, and i would be embarrassed at it having to come to that.

So, while the alcohol was a failure, i opted to go down a slightly more positive route rather than ingesting poison into my body. A new wardrobe. I'm a relatively big guy, so stylish clothes are very hard to come by, and those that are fairly stylish come with a nice hefty price-tag.

But i bit the bullet, i decided i wanted to feel good, and the clothes that i previously wore just weren't doing me any good. So i purchased some clothes online and had them sent over to me, i ended up spending about £150-200 over the course of the week just to find some decent pants and new pair of shoes.

The clothes (but not the shoes!) arrived last week and i felt good in them. The only problem was this: Work. For the past few months, virtual strangers to me have become collegues, and even friends. I would basically wear the same stuff day in, and day out (Mainly rotating).

My first day of wearing the new clothes was an absolute nightmare. Well, for the first 30minutes. I got into the carpark of work and started panic'ing thinking i made the wrong choices in wearing new clothes. I reached for my now near-empty bottle of whisky only to relise that a lot of people where starting to walk past. I couldn't drink it infront of them. My anxiety was getting even higher now relising they weren't going to be leaving anytime soon.

I had to go into work, without the aid of the temporary drink solution. I ended up being a bag of nerves. Whats more, the minute i walked into my department i seen one of my "collegues". I opened the door and he glared at me, i died inside thinking "Oh god dammit. He relised, and by that long glare he is probably having a giggle about it now".

Worse was to come though, because i was slightly late due to waiting for the crowd of people to go in the carpark, all the seats in work were taken. So i had to stand up, infront of everyone for about 10-15minutes waiting for a place to sit when people where going home. It. Was. Awkward.

Then, my anxiety in an instant flew away. The girl-whom-i-like-but-can't-have came up behind me, suprised that it was me because i was wearing a lot of new stuff. From anyone else i would have taken it as a negative, but she is a very friendly smiley person, and i knew she mean't it, i felt a lot better after that...

Now, a week in, i'm enjoying my new clothes selections, but i am now wanting to go onto step 3 of my changes. Changing my hairstyle. Back about 5-7 years ago i changed my hairstyle, and i was really happy about it, but eventually i let it grow out and get cut, and i ended up losing the style.

I tampered a bit, so much so that i decided to look into proper grooming of the body and hairstyles (Thanks Youtube!), this mean't things like doing eyebrows and using proper facewashes and things - But on a more evident note, using hairgels.

Sadly i've not mastered the use of hairgels yet, but it maybe insignificant because i want to get it cut by a proper hairstylist, and recoloured. This will be a massive change for me, it has been a long time since i have taken the leap into getting a hairstyle - My problem is that i could never emulate the same hairstyle which the stylist did, so i would end up looking more of an idiot for not doing it right.

While i still feel an air of negativity around me, i just feel like making these small baby-steps towards changing myself can help me in the long run, minus the alcohol. I will probably finish the bottle someday (hey, i bought it! i can't throw away things willy-nilly!) knowing that was a failed experiment, but everything else i feel i can push positively towards.

GREAT post, I can tell you are a very brave person to be able to stand up to your anxieties and insecurities like that. Take the compliment from your "girl-whom-you-like-but-can't-have" (this made me laugh because I have one too ::p:) as a positive reaction to the changes you've done.

I know that feeling when the world turns up-side down and it seems like everyone is staring at you or anticipating your every next move, like the spotlights are shone on you; you are the centre stage. It means you really, really care about self expression - which is a good thing.

Just a note, be wary of the alcohol because, true it's an escape from the horrendous reality of life, but in the end it will screw you over if you depend on it and grow an addiction to it.

If you have a picture of your old hairstyle before it outgrew itself, you can show it to your new hairstylist and if they're good at what they do, they can recreate that same fresh cut that you've had before.

I'm actually pretty jealous of you after reading all that lol, how you can even call those "baby" steps, when some of the things you've mentioned seemed huge to accomplish. Rock on! :)

Be very careful about changing your persona, if you do not deal with your real issues, you'll be lost in a world where you cease to understand who or what you really are. The psychological ramifications of these failures can be devastating to you on an apocalyptic scale. Not to discourage you at all, just don't want you to fall into the same trap I did.

I'm sorry but I do not understand this... change IS the way to deal with real issues, is it not? The first step to improvement is realization, then comes change, and so on. :confused:

Gray

I just opted to have a look through some old pictures i had of my hair back then, and funnily enough its actually the same style as to how i wanted it right at this moment.

I think that has pretty much nailed it on now, to get it done within the next week or two, it has been on my mind for so long to do so i just want to get it over with.

If i remember rightly though, the first time i had it done, i was massively impressed with it - However when i went back to get it done for a second/third time it wasn't how i wanted it to look and it soured my whole experience of doing it again.

But now seemingly 6-7 years on i am ready for it, but just to be sure i have been recommended a supposedly good hairsalon, so it should be interesting at least.

Feathers

Hey Gray,

I think it's great you're having a makeover!

And if you don't like it later you can change it back or to something new anyway!

About the girl: is she married or engaged? Otherwise, who knows? :) Keep options open...?

Stay away from alcohol, yup.. If it must be finished, you could maybe even invite a coleague or a few to help you finish it? Or maybe bring it to a party, if there's one with alcohol? (You could also donate it to a hobo? :))

Alcohol can give short-term 'courage' to some people, long-term it can decrease the amount of good minerals and vitamins in your body, so things can get even worse.. so it's good to stay away from it!
You could experiment with different types of breakfast though?

Aristocrat, changing wardrobe and hairstyle doesn't have to mean changing your whole persona - though I can see how some people might fall in that trap (?) Sometimes it can be a good experience and just FUN too! (I had a lot of fun re-inventing myself sometimes each season :))

Though it may be good to save money too and not just spend it all on clothes :) If you want to meet people you can maybe sign up to some courses or such too?

Gray

The girl issue was so complicated. Basically when i started my new job 3-4months ago, this girl in particular told a story of how she was abroad for a long time over in Turkey, before her family told her to come back home.

So it got me thinking "Does this mean she isn't attached? Or does she have a boyfriend who is/was abroad with her??". Because i wasn't going anywhere near actually questioning her about it, i left it to other people in our training group to ask some forwarding questions.

She never truely mentioned anything about a boyfriend, so, i felt safe in the knowledge that i could have at least feelings towards her and see how it developed over the course of the 3 week training.

Because there was still zero mention of a boyfriend, i ended up planning how i was actually going to ask her out. There wasn't anyway in hell i was going to ask her infront of people, main reason being i didn't want her embarrassed infront of everyone, and secondly, i didn't want to be shot down infront of people.

Finally one night came where we was walking out together, alone. Perfect opportunity to ask her "what her plans where for the weekend". Sadly though, i panicked and rushed my question and got a slightly disjointed "no" for my efforts. That was embarrassing to say the least, but i didn't give up on her because my feelings where still quite strong towards her.

Then in the final week i found out that she did infact have a boyfriend, who was in the country where she was abroad. It was a plan for him to eventually move over to this country. Fair to say i was crushed on that, relising that i had opened myself up greatly only to find i was in a no-win situation eitherway.

But we remained good friends, and over the past 3-4months my feelings for her have not at all turned off, even though i know i can't really be with her. It makes it worse though knowing i sit with her for the most part, but i can't really talk to her because theres another friend of both of ours who is always around, and she usually sits inbetween us both.

I have difficultly talking to her, because she is a softly spoken girl that i can barely hear her over everyone else, so knowing that i sit with her for hours on end each day, with the inability to properly communicate just crushes me even more. It is my hope that i can speak to her without being in the work place environment, but i don't want to come off too stalkerish or begging for things like her phone number or email address etc.

In the 3 months we have been working together, i have had just one single day alone with her, and that ended up only being for about 2 hours. In those 2 hours i relised she was infact a really nice girl, so it ended up making me feel worse thinking i can't get the time alone with her just to talk one-to-one.

So yeah, it's complicated!

In fairness the alcohol thing is so short term, i feel nothing for it. In fairness the only reason i ended up getting it was to see if it could help with the girl in question, buuuut it didn't do it for me, so heyho!.

Feathers

Well, maybe another girl would indeed be a better option then? :) Still, I think it's great for the efforts and trying and doing things & being brave!! Maybe she even has a cute friend? :)

If she is indeed Turkish or of Muslim religion, then religion is probably very important too.. if you're not Turkish it may be more difficult for parents to accept you etc. (If she *isn't* Turkish or Muslim, maybe her parents/family would have difficulty accepting her bf then tho, or he might find it difficult to get accustomed to the cultural differrences.. so in that case, maybe in the long run you'd still *maybe* have a shot..)
Though it's probably better to try to find other interesting girls and other interesting people in general!

It's important to find things you like and are excited/enthusiastic about, this also makes you more attractive to other people!!

You've already come far, GO Gray!! :)

Gray

Well i had my hair done today, they did a lot of work on it (Few hours worth anyway) so at least i know they did all they can to make it look good!

The only thing now is going out in public, or at least to work and not feel massively overly conscious of it. Which i probably am going to do for a few days no doubt.

On Saturday and Sunday just normal days, i felt so bad though, almost felt like i was going to have a panic attack for the first time in years while in work. Ended up saying to myself i finally do need help again, so tried to get into contact with the therapist i used to be under but the offices weren't open.

This obviously ended up making it worse, but on Monday i got through to them. They said they would phone me back, but alas, its coming onto Thursday now and i haven't heard a word from them even though i left my phone number. Might need to follow it up but i don't want to feel as if im going to be pestering them. Urgh.

Though in regards to the girl situation, shes English like i am, but it was just that she has spent a while over in Turkey, where she ended up meeting her current boyfriend. She returned back to the England but (he being Turkish) stayed over in Turkey. Though i hear he may well end up coming over here to visit/live with her in the distant future.

I don't want to be selfish about it all though, end of the day i'd rather she be happy and have a strong future with him should he come to live over here. But at the same time i don't want to turn off these feelings, i don't think i even can at this point!

darkrider

Just be who you are dude.

I too once tried the "changing my style" crap but I was sick and tired of living a life of deceit.

Just be yourself.

Btw yourself isn't a socially awkward freak. It's just a barrier in your life you have to try hard to overcome and pretending to be who you are not is not the best method to overcome it.

Be very careful about changing your persona, if you do not deal with your real issues, you'll be lost in a world where you cease to understand who or what you really are. The psychological ramifications of these failures can be devastating to you on an apocalyptic scale.

lol awesome

B

Beatrice

Wow, that's exactly what happened to me! :/

Gray

In a wee-bit of an update, specially on the girl issue. Looks like that stack of cards has just come crashing down right ontop of me.

Came into work today, all bright and cheerful after enjoying the sun and being outside, when i get in one of our close friends springs it on me... That the girl is leaving.

She told me not to mention it to the girl, in the hope that she would bring it up herself. However when i initially spoke to her, she didn't, so i thought she was going to leave it until tomorrow last minute or some such.

I knew as soon as i found out though, i'd have to get her a card at the end of my shift, just a quick "miss you" or "thankyou" style card, because she has been grand to me for months.

Later on in the day she finally told me, but i completely fubar'd it up. Because i'm a terrible liar/suprised person, so i ended up making it be like it wasn't a big deal, when obviously it was huge...

I did remember something from a few weeks ago though, i was talking to her on a one-to-one basis, when i said "we should keep in contact when not in work" (ala, either through mobile/texting or something like MSN). At the time she said "no need... because we talk to each other in here".

Obviously it was a perfect time to bring up the "well, since you're leaving now, we won't be talking... So why not keep in contact now?" - Which was met by a "well, i don't give out my MSN address to anyone". Got to tell you - That hurt like a son-of-a-gun.

But we soon got over that and our shifts ended. So i went and picked up a card as i initially planned, even though i got that major burn from her saying no more contact. I know that since i am pretty crappy at putting together a serious conversation, writing it down, nothing to impulsive - Might put me back on the right track. But then again, it might very well not.

Pretty sad though that it has ended this way, all of a sudden though. She was probably my closest friend in there who i always enjoyed being around, now though... It's going to leave one big void making it a fairly unhappy experience overall.