check this out

Jonesey

Anyone who feels shitty about finding out that they might have "Avoidant personality disorder" should look into these two topics. Go to wikipedia and look up "labeling theory," and if you don't think it's total bullshit, look up "highly sensitive person." You might think it sounds dumb but I think its a pretty valid idea.

Lexmark

Interesting read but for me I had SP and APD at least a couple of years before I was " labeled " :)

wikipedia.org said:
A highly sensitive person (HSP) is a person having the innate trait of high sensitivity (or innate sensitiveness as Carl Gustav Jung originally coined it). According to Elaine N. Aron and colleagues as well as other researchers, highly sensitive people, which would represent about a fifth of the population, process sensory data much more deeply and thoroughly due to a biological difference in their nervous systems.[1] This is a specific trait with key consequences that in the past has often been confused with innate shyness, inhibitedness, innate fearfulness, introversion, and so on. [2] The existence of the trait of innate sensitivity was demonstrated using a test that was shown to have both internal and external validity.[3] Although the term is primarily used to describe humans, the trait is present in nearly all higher animals.

The term highly sensitive person was coined by Dr. Elaine N. Aron in 1996, and the name is gaining popularity because it presents the trait in a positive light, as it posits shyness, inhibitedness, fearfulness as negative traits that may or may not be acquired by highly sensitive people and animals, depending on environmental challenges. Yet other names used to describe the trait in literature include 'introverted emotional temperament', 'chronic cortical/cortisol arousal', 'hypervigilance', and 'innate shyness'.

Part of being able to live a full life is acceptance of what you are. But knowing who or what you are is difficult. First I thought I was shy, then depressed, socially anxious, introverted, and now a "highly sensitive person". With each new word / definition, I'm able to understand myself a little better. I guess I'm all of those and more. The cool thing about ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) is: no matter how I define myself or my problems, the best strategy is usually acceptance. So as I read about HSP and ego (from Eckhart Tolle), I can still use ACT on a daily basis to keep moving forward.

We are gifted and cursed. But sometimes we lose track of our gifts.

more from wikipedia said:
Attributes and characteristics

HSP students work differently than others. They pick up on the subtle things, learning better this way than when overaroused. If an HSP student is not contributing much to a discussion, it does not necessarily mean they do not understand or are too shy. HSPs often process things better in their heads or they may be overaroused. This can be the reason for their not contributing. HSPs are usually very conscientious but underperform when being watched. This also applies to work situations; HSPs can be great employees — good with details, thoughtful and loyal, but they do tend to work best when conditions are quiet and calm. Because HSPs perform less well when being watched, they may be overlooked for a promotion. HSPs tend to socialize less with others, often preferring to process experiences quietly by themselves.