clubbing, barhopping alone with no experience

JCS008

Whenever I'm waiting for a flight at an airport, whether I'm alone or with someone, I'll always go grab a drink before the flight.

I was in a crowded bar on my own once, but that was just because one of my friends go pissed at me because I wasn't being "supportive enough" of her and her dilemma of running into an ex-bf. So she got pissed at me and the rest of them went to another bar, while I waited at another ones (since we all carpooled). I basically opend a tab and just drank alone while watching the same sports highlights. Kind of a boring night. Was so bored I went out and walked around until they came back.

thor01

I've never been to a club or bar, apart from to see gigs, by myself. If I did go it would be by myself, but I just wouldn't know where to start, as in where to go, and what do to do when I was there, because I would just feel very awkward and uncomfortable, and this would make the environment feel intimidating. Actually making myself dare to go somewhere like that would be a huge task. and I don't drink as of yet either.

Last edited:

Rodney

So the legal age is 19 in Canada?

Some provinces its 19 and some provinces its 18 but I really could careless because its not ever going to affect me because I'm never going to go to a bar/club muhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :cool:

Satine

has anyone here ever gone to a club, or bar, or any other like.. big event by themselves, out of nowhere being alone and never having had much of any experience before going to events even if it was with people or by oneself?

how the **** do you do it?

Do you want the sensible answer or the one that you'll find most satisfying?

Sensible answer: I've been to clubs and bars on many occasions, but not on my own. However, sometimes my other half will go off to buy a drink / go to the toilet / whatever which leaves me on my own for a short while.

I usually get left alone, but often enough someone of the opposite sex will strike up a conversation and do a bit of flirting. Some have an apparently aggressive side and, personally, I don't like them, but some a just cute with it and they're much more amiable, and more my type.

I'd only go out just by myself if I was single, but I would prefer to go out in a group due to the risks involved with going to and from such a venue. It's never a good idea to walk the streets by yourself.

But purely for being at the venue alone... I'd be content to do this, to get to know other people. Like I say, I do get a bit of attention. What I'd probably do if I thought there was a potential problem with an aggressive person would be to position myself close to a bouncer and carry on with my night there. Possibly also let the bouncer know I was being harrassed by someone and would they mind me just hanging around close to them until I was confident the person had gone away? I honestly can't see a bouncer having a problem with that.

The other possibility (possibly easier for me as I'm female) would be to look for someone of the opposite sex who was confirmed a kind person, and ask them if they'd mind me pretending I was part of a group with them, because some idiot was picking on me. I think you could get away with this with a friendly girl, it would be endearing.

Fearmongering, inaccurate answer: I've never gone out alone, because it's too dangerous. There are nutters everywhere armed to the teeth with knives, knuckle dusters and guns! It's far too dangerous - I wouldn't dare go out, even with a group, because the group would probably turn on me.

Pick either answer as you see fit, No.1.

hevernon

I've never been to nightclub by myself, i've been to plenty of pubs on my own though in the day-time. I wouldn't go to pub by myself in my town now though, especially in the evening, no chance. I went to go watch the football in a bar a couple of times recently, but decided not to at the last minute.
I also think it will be a while before i ever go into a nightclub again, i just don't like them. Im fine with quiet bars though.

HidingOnThe4thFloor

This is why I go to gay bars. Unless there are some rough Lesbians about.
Oh yes, ditto on that. Of course I'm a gay guy, so it's a slightly different dynamic. :D

There is a big danger going out to bars and clubs by yourself if you're socially anxious. Alcohol is like a magic potion for anxiety and you may find yourself getting a little too attached to it. Especially if you're on your own, you may not maintain control over your behavior. The consequences can be a lot worse than sitting alone at home.

Been there, done that.

madmike

No way! What about the countless women who are raped, murdered, o'r both?

Agreed, as a female i'd probably be scared walking to the shops on my own- in broad daylight! I tried 'barhopping' once on a holiday in cyprus, i felt more confident being abroad and that... but even so i didn't manage to go into any of the bars, i just kept thinking i'd look like such a fool sitting there by myself :/ I don't know how you'd go about doing it either, i guess most people don't go alone

Richey

It depends on the club, they can often be intimidating places at first glance, the people who are oozing confidence and always look great fit in well, but if you are self conscious then it can be a brain masher for a while.

madmike

It depends on the club, they can often be intimidating places at first glance, the people who are oozing confidence and always look great fit in well, but if you are self conscious then it can be a brain masher for a while.

So have you done it before?

I just have a weird image of myself sitting at the bar/on a table, sipping a drink and staring at the ceiling... even when i'm at my most confident. I'm not really interested in sport either, so i wouldn't even be able to watch tv if they had one there lol

Fighter86

I went clubbing once, shortly after my 18th Birthday, but that's it. Talking about clubs and bars, I don't even know how to order a drink there, and worse, if I did, I don't know what I can order! I hardly think its the kind of place where its like a restaurant where you just order from a menu, lol. If I did know how to behave in a bar/pub, I think I might actually go have a glass of drink if I'm feeling down. Maybe someone can advise how to behave? Like how to order a drink, what drink to order, or how to ask what they have? Sounds totally silly questions I know, but really, I have never in my life done it before, I hope no one at my work place will ask me out clubbing, which actually happened once and I behaved like a complete fool and a deer in headlights even before we hit the clubs, I had to make a quick escape after dinner.

Satine

I went clubbing once, shortly after my 18th Birthday, but that's it. Talking about clubs and bars, I don't even know how to order a drink there, and worse, if I did, I don't know what I can order! I hardly think its the kind of place where its like a restaurant where you just order from a menu, lol. If I did know how to behave in a bar/pub, I think I might actually go have a glass of drink if I'm feeling down. Maybe someone can advise how to behave? Like how to order a drink, what drink to order, or how to ask what they have? Sounds totally silly questions I know, but really, I have never in my life done it before, I hope no one at my work place will ask me out clubbing, which actually happened once and I behaved like a complete fool and a deer in headlights even before we hit the clubs, I had to make a quick escape after dinner.

Well, every club I've ever been to has had a bar much like in a pub, and you can see the fridges and shelves behind them with all the stock on.

How to order a drink: The barmen and women will be hanging around behind the bar, waiting for someone to come up to the bar and ask for one. Usually there'll be several of them, each working a 3-or-4-ft section of the bar, as otherwise there'd be far too many people for them to keep track of whose next! Queues for the bar in clubs are very disorganised and are more of a mess of people waiting to get close enough, (ie., their elbows on the bar) to lean over and tell the barmaid/man what they want. That said, don't let too many people shoulder past you - the crowd at a bar knows who's meant to be next well enough, and if you're in any doubt about the reaction of the person, tell the barmaid/man you were next (assuming you genuinely are!) They don't like to see pushing-in any more than you do; they are trying to keep all customers happy, after all.

Once you've ordered your drink, they'll go off and retrieve/make it, bring it back to you, tell you how much it cost, you hand over the money, and they bring you back your change, if there is any. I hear there's a trend for giving tips for drinks in the US, but I've not been to a place yet in the UK that expected this. There might be a price list stuck to the wall somewhere, but if not, just take what you suspect is way more than you'll need and you can't be caught out.

As for what to order...

If you're alright with beer then order one, they'll have them either on tap so look at the little icons on the bar/just sticking up from the bar, or look in the fridges behind the staff and there'll be bottles of beer in there.

Cider is a slightly sweeter version, and good if you're thirsty.

If you prefer wine, some might do wine. They can be on tap, too, but will more likely be in the fridges behind. If you don't know your wines, just ask for a house white or red. White is served chilled, red at room temp (sorry if you already knew that!)

Wine has a fairly high alcoholic content, so if you're wanting to pace yourself, don't go exclusively for it.

If you have a sweet tooth, ask for cola or lemonade (generically referred to as 'mixers', although you'd need to specify which one you'll want) with a spirit in.

You'll need to be specific about the spirit. Vodka doesn't interfere with the taste of anything else as it's just an alcoholic kick (cue widespread disagreement from other forum members in 3,2,1...) so can make any non-alcholic drink you mix it with taste like an alcholic version. White rum is similar, but works best with sweet mixers as it is made from sugar cane. Dark or spiced rums have a more distinctive flavour, and can also be mixed, but as a beginner, I'd recommend white. Sometimes white is referred to as Bacardi.

There are many different brands of vodka and rum (and perhaps other spirits) and some clubs stock several, so you may be asked whether you want, say, Smirnoff, or whether the house one is fine. Frankly, go for the house one. Spirits are spirits are spirits, unless you're a connoiseur.

Feel free to ask for a single spirit with mixer (a small measure, compared to a 'large' or double'; if you're not used to spirit n' mixers, a single tastes strong enough. And that'll get you drunk slowly, which is the best way.

If you're feeling adventurous, there is always the option of spirits or liqueurs, but don't feel you have to drink these, even if your companions do. Best you learn to drink and certainly best to be within your personally-prescribed limit. Tequila, one of the more notorious 'hey, let's all have a shot!' spirits don't taste too good, so personally I don't think they're worth it.

If you want to look flash/sophisticated, help yourself to a cocktail, but in clubs they're less likely to be sold, are going to be at a horribly inflated price, and if the night is busy, it's considered bad bar etiquette to ask for one. Picture the scene yourself: you and most of the crowd are standing at the bar, waiting to ask for a beer (which'll take all of 30 seconds for the bar staff to pull/open and bring you), and some numpty up front has just asked for a Long Island Iced Tea which subsequently takes nearly 10 minutes to make. All that time, the barmaid/man is too busy making this one drink to be able to serve the dozens of other people waiting for a drink.

You might find the odd 2-for-1 offer on cocktails and a short list of ones that are quick to make, and they can be better because of the price, and because, although they take longer to make, twice the quantity is being made, so two customers are effectively dealt with in one go. So by all means give those a try if you feel like it.

Personally, I keep cocktails only for sitting-down-and-chatting evenings in bars. One final note on cocktails: 'long' cocktails - ones of which there is a large quantity in a glass - tend to be less alcoholic than 'short' ones, such as the type you'll get in a cocktail glass.

By all means alternate alcoholic drinks with teetotal ones - say, just cola or cranberry juice, by itself. It's a good way to disguise the fact that you're not having alcohol for the duration of that drink, as you can hide behind the, 'it's a mixer!' excuse (not that you need an excuse per se, but it gets the more zealous drinkers off your back).

I hope that helps?

Last edited:

Fighter86

Thanks, you have been very helpful :D but I still have a couple questions ::eek::

Well, every club I've ever been to has had a bar much like in a pub, and you can see the fridges and shelves behind them with all the stock on.

How to order a drink: The barmen and women will be hanging around behind the bar, waiting for someone to come up to the bar and ask for one. Usually there'll be several of them, each working a 3-or-4-ft section of the bar, as otherwise there'd be far too many people for them to keep track of whose next! Queues for the bar in clubs are very disorganised and are more of a mess of people waiting to get close enough, (ie., their elbows on the bar) to lean over and tell the barmaid/man what they want. That said, don't let too many people shoulder past you - the crowd at a bar knows who's meant to be next well enough, and if you're in any doubt about the reaction of the person, tell the barmaid/man you were next (assuming you genuinely are!) They don't like to see pushing-in any more than you do; they are trying to keep all customers happy, after all.

Once you've ordered your drink, they'll go off and retrieve/make it, bring it back to you, tell you how much it cost, you hand over the money, and they bring you back your change, if there is any. I hear there's a trend for giving tips for drinks in the US, but I've not been to a place yet in the UK that expected this. There might be a price list stuck to the wall somewhere, but if not, just take what you suspect is way more than you'll need and you can't be caught out.

As for what to order...

If you're alright with beer then order one, they'll have them either on tap so look at the little icons on the bar/just sticking up from the bar, or look in the fridges behind the staff and there'll be bottles of beer in there.

Cider is a slightly sweeter version, and good if you're thirsty.

I have to name the beer I am ordering? I mean I can't just go right up and say 'I want a beer'?

If you prefer wine, some might do wine. They can be on tap, too, but will more likely be in the fridges behind. If you don't know your wines, just ask for a house white or red. White is served chilled, red at room temp (sorry if you already knew that!)

One thing about red wines- are they never served with ice? I was told that its wrong to drink them with ice, but I've only really drank them with family and family friends so I use ice anyway because it tastes so much better cold, but its probably really the incorrect way to do it and people would be horrified if they found out

Wine has a fairly high alcoholic content, so if you're wanting to pace yourself, don't go exclusively for it.

If you have a sweet tooth, ask for cola or lemonade (generically referred to as 'mixers', although you'd need to specify which one you'll want) with a spirit in.

So I ask for 'cola vodka'? Is that how I call it? Or do I actually say 'lemonade with white rum'?

You'll need to be specific about the spirit. Vodka doesn't interfere with the taste of anything else as it's just an alcoholic kick (cue widespread disagreement from other forum members in 3,2,1...) so can make any non-alcholic drink you mix it with taste like an alcholic version. White rum is similar, but works best with sweet mixers as it is made from sugar cane. Dark or spiced rums have a more distinctive flavour, and can also be mixed, but as a beginner, I'd recommend white. Sometimes white is referred to as Bacardi.

There are many different brands of vodka and rum (and perhaps other spirits) and some clubs stock several, so you may be asked whether you want, say, Smirnoff, or whether the house one is fine. Frankly, go for the house one. Spirits are spirits are spirits, unless you're a connoiseur.

Feel free to ask for a single spirit with mixer (a small measure, compared to a 'large' or double'; if you're not used to spirit n' mixers, a single tastes strong enough. And that'll get you drunk slowly, which is the best way.

If you're feeling adventurous, there is always the option of spirits or liqueurs, but don't feel you have to drink these, even if your companions do. Best you learn to drink and certainly best to be within your personally-prescribed limit. Tequila, one of the more notorious 'hey, let's all have a shot!' spirits don't taste too good, so personally I don't think they're worth it.

If you want to look flash/sophisticated, help yourself to a cocktail, but in clubs they're less likely to be sold, are going to be at a horribly inflated price, and if the night is busy, it's considered bad bar etiquette to ask for one. Picture the scene yourself: you and most of the crowd are standing at the bar, waiting to ask for a beer (which'll take all of 30 seconds for the bar staff to pull/open and bring you), and some numpty up front has just asked for a Long Island Iced Tea which subsequently takes nearly 10 minutes to make. All that time, the barmaid/man is too busy making this one drink to be able to serve the dozens of other people waiting for a drink.

You might find the odd 2-for-1 offer on cocktails and a short list of ones that are quick to make, and they can be better because of the price, and because, although they take longer to make, twice the quantity is being made, so two customers are effectively dealt with in one go. So by all means give those a try if you feel like it.

Personally, I keep cocktails only for sitting-down-and-chatting evenings in bars. One final note on cocktails: 'long' cocktails - ones of which there is a large quantity in a glass - tend to be less alcoholic than 'short' ones, such as the type you'll get in a cocktail glass.

By all means alternate alcoholic drinks with teetotal ones - say, just cola or cranberry juice, by itself. It's a good way to disguise the fact that you're not having alcohol for the duration of that drink, as you can hide behind the, 'it's a mixer!' excuse (not that you need an excuse per se, but it gets the more zealous drinkers off your back).

I hope that helps?

Sorry about these really amutuer questions, I really have never ordered a drink in a club or bar before!

Satine

Thanks, you have been very helpful :D but I still have a couple questions ::eek::

Sorry about these really amutuer questions, I really have never ordered a drink in a club or bar before!

No worries at all! To answer your remaining questions:

I have to name the beer I am ordering? I mean I can't just go right up and say 'I want a beer'?

You'd be best off doing so, I think, although if you just said you wanted a beer/lager, the barperson would either pull a pint of the most popular or tell you the range.

One thing about red wines- are they never served with ice? I was told that its wrong to drink them with ice, but I've only really drank them with family and family friends so I use ice anyway because it tastes so much better cold, but its probably really the incorrect way to do it and people would be horrified if they found out

I don't think they're ever served with ice, but I've heard of a drink - I think it's called Sabai - that's come on the market and comes in small, individual bottles. I think that's supposed to go with ice.

Other than that, it doesn't particularly matter if your choice of drink is wierd by conventional standards. I've made a few strange requests in my time: a shot glass full of ice, a pen and paper, a long cocktail called a 'stool sample' recommended by an Australian colleague. And generally, all the barperson does is blink at you, looking slightly surprised (at the very most) and then gets on with it. Likely they've heard wierder requests before than ice in red wine, so go for it.

After all, you're the customer.

So I ask for 'cola vodka'? Is that how I call it? Or do I actually say 'lemonade with white rum'?

Maybe it depends on where you are in the world when you ask for it, but here in the UK you'd ask for a 'vodka and coke' or a 'rum and lemonade', but frankly, the way 'round you suggested is just as clear in what you want, so asking for a cola vodka would be fine.

Moonie

I don't really have much of a desire to go to a bar/club alone. Unless, of course, I was at a hotel bar somewhere in which I could drink without worry of getting home and go straight to my hotel room.

Bars aren't a comfortable place for me unless I have a nice buzz/ drunk going on. That is why the above scenario would be the only way I'd go alone.

Otherwise, bars/clubs is better with other people -especially when someone else is driving you. I tend to go overboard with drinking..

Fighter86

Thanks Satine, for all your replies ;)

I live in Asia, so I wonder if things might be different here, but alas, I could always try and order in a small quiet bar before I go somewhere bigger like a club I guess. I probably won't be going to a club anytime soon, unless if someone invites me and I have no way of turning it down, I mean the previous time it happened, I was so shy and tongue tied that I proceed to sit through the dinner (before we went clubbing, which I didn't go in the end) and did not speak to anyone except the person who invited me, oh god... and the person was actually my colleague too. So in the end, I ended up having a migrane for the whole weekend because I knew I would have to face him again on the following Monday, I nearly seriously contemplated quitting because I made such a fool of myself by not saying anything. Anyway, thanks a million again for your helpful answers!