College

thelostworld

Hi all,
I'm not new here but haven't posted in about 6 months. I just moved into a dorm on campus. All of my classes are pretty manageable (socially) except for one..american sign language. I have no clue in hell why I signed up for it, I knew what it would entail. The teacher is deaf so I cant understand what hes talking about so there is a huge communication problem. To make it worse, I had some lady look at me with a sympathizing smile saying "How are you today?" ..like I'm some fucking pitiful invalid or something. On the same day I was sitting in my desk and another girl comes by and PATS ME ON THE BACK as if to reassure me 'everything is alright' or something. WHAT THE FUCK. That pisses me off more than anything..I don't know what I will do about the whole sign language class..everything it requires is something i have a hard time doing..expressing various facial expressions, moving hands animatedly, maintaining eye contact..anyways I was just wondering if anybody could relate in any way to this..thanks

Moonie

I am in my final semester of college and I only have 4 more classes left to go. Two of these classes are going to be so challenging for me. I have a senior seminar (3 presentations to do) and PUBLIC SPEAKING. This is going to definitely be hard for me. I already had to do one speech and an older student in the class said that I looked like I was "in pain up there."

A quick question, is it really necessary that you take this class? Can you get out of it?

If not, then you just have to be strong and go on with it. I bet that it will become a little more comfortable to you as you become more comfortable with your classmates. I am sorry that you felt belittled by your classmates, but I don't think they meant any harm. I would rather have people like that in my class than people who are going to give you dirty looks, snicker at you, etc.

thelostworld

Thanks for the reply, Moonie. I had to take a public speaking 'speech' class about a year ago (it was required) and it was obviously very difficult for me due to having severe social anxiety. Oddly enough, I ended up getting an 'A' in the class,because the teacher realized that not everyone is good at it, so about half of the class grades were written work. I remember one time I got totally wasted before my speech because I was so nervous.
I'm sorry to hear you have to go through those seminar speeches. That was really rude of whoever said you looked like you were 'in pain'. I don't know how they meant it, but I doubt it helped any did it? lol
As for the ASL class, I would love nothing more than to drop out right now, but I get money from the VA every month ( a helluva lot for that matter) if I'm a full time student. If I drop out,I'll be 'part time' and won't get the money. This thursday, I have to get up infront of the class and 'sign' a conversation with another person in addition to going to court for my DUI the same day...needless to say not looking forward to that day..lol
I really wish you luck in your endeavors. In order to be 'successful' I guess we have to deal with the shit as it comes even though I think it is much more of a challenge for people with what we have..life sucks